• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next Big Splash

I e read on here a name mentioned that i scratched my head and wondered where it was coming from because id never heard it suggested anywhere but here. But more and more, justin upton makes sense.

I have no clue if the org wants him, but he would be a huge add. And we all know dipoto likes his ex dback players.

One thing i do know is the angels we very interested in stanton. More than most know. That ship has already sailed, obviously. Upton isnt as good bat wise, but is at least comprable in terms of overall talent i think.

I guess it all depends on how much they think cron will blossom. But i could see that being our big target next year. I almost wonder if its worth trying to nab him now before he hits FA. Atlanta doesnt project very well this year, and dumping his money for prospects might appeal to them.

A trout, upton, calhoun outfield would be very fun to watch...

I was thinking about this the other day actually...

I remember Chuck mentioning something about the Angels possibly giving Hamilton the Wells treatment after the season ended (sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth Chuck, maybe remembering wrong). I wonder if they think it'd be worth it for a guy like Upton who doesn't turn 28 until August. I assume the Angels wouldn't consider the Hamilton dump until next offseason when Hamilton only has 2 years left on his contract. All depends on what Atlanta is looking for in return though as well, because I don't want to trade away any of our young pitchers!

I think Upton would more than make up for the loss in offensive production by Howie. Like you said, that'd be a nice solid young outfield though!

Isn't it his brother that is the headcase?

His ex-teammates from his Diamondback days had some things to say about him, but I'm just saying what I would constantly see after a striking out at the plate. His slumps are pretty notorious as well.

I just don't think he's the type of leader you'd want in the clubhouse like you're gonna have to pay him to be. He's no Jose Guillen, but he's also no Torii Hunter either. 

Just personal taste in makeup for me. Good player, just gets on my nerves.

What do we have to give up to get a player like Upton? I've heard the Braves are interested in dealing Upton/Gattis if the opposing team takes on a bad contract; BJ Upton or Chris Johnson. Makes the haul to get him much more reasonable and the team did just clear a nice amount of payroll space, have Iannetta, Freese, and Street coming off the books next year and Wilson, Weaver, Aybar, Smith, and Jepsen the year after that. Take on a bad contract, get J-Up, try your best to extend him, flip Freese. Guy's entering his age-27 season I believe. 

Calhoun

Trout

Pujols

Upton

Hamilton (if, IF, he's hitting around an .800 OPS) 

Johnson

Aybar

Iannetta

Rutledge/Green 

He's potentially a rental and even if not, the commitment to extend him is probably 8+ years and 160mil+ due to his age.  

I think at this point you have to see what Hamilton gives you for at least one more year and you give Cron the DH job to see if he can be your cleanup guy going forward.  

Next year is where it gets really interesting.  

Hamilton's salary jumps 10mil. CJ, Weaver and Aybar are in their last years.  Weaver isn't going anywhere but with Skaggs returning and the other young arms we have, Wilson could easily be dealt.  If Josh does well enough to make his last two years tradeable if we eat some money, then we could dump about 30mil in salary for 2016 and make a run at a free agent.  

I also think we are going to extend Aybar next offseason at around 4/40-50.  

So I think next offseason is when we make a run at a middle of the order bat.  Whether via trade or FA.  

Also, where did you hear this "Angels interested in Stanton" bit?

He called the Pujols signings way before it happened. I think he knows someone connected and he isn't really allowed to say. I wish he would give us more though!

Because of the Pujols thing, I always look forward to his posts, hoping he gives us something new and juicy haha

IMO, if thats true about the braves want someone to take a bad contract, it might be worth kicking the tires on the chris johnson thing if it meant saving a better prospect. So something like a rondon, maybe jepsen (or anyone not named street/smith), etc for us to take uptons money as well as chris johnson off rheir hands?

He called the Pujols signings way before it happened. I think he knows someone connected and he isn't really allowed to say. I wish he would give us more though!

Because of the Pujols thing, I always look forward to his posts, hoping he gives us something new and juicy haha

Except that there is no team in MLB that would NOT be interested in Stanton...so he's really going out on a limb there.