• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What is OAK doing?

MVTrout

Did they plan on going for it, signed Butler, and then said "oh shit, what are we doing? We can't afford this." Crisp, Butler, Lawrie, Sogard/Wendle, Parrino/Semien, Norris, Vogt, Gentry, and Reddick doesn't exactly have me shaking in my boots. Donaldson, Samardzija, and Moss already gone for questionable returns. Lowrie and Gregerson leaving via free agency. We could still see Kazmir, Jaso, and/or Reddick moved! 

http://m.athletics.mlb.com/news/article/103562258/as-reportedly-send-jeff-samardzija-to-white-sox-for-marcus-semien-chris-bassitt

"This is how it is here," said Beane. "Every time we've done it, we're trying to be proactive. You have to be realistic. It's not necessarily just a reflection on our team, but also recognizing who your competition is.

"Look, in the second half of the season, starting in June, we had one of the worst records in the game, and we lost some very critical players, guys who are going to get a lot of money. You lose those guys, you couple that with the trend line of the team performance, you talk about the division … you have to take all those things into account and realize when the time to do things is. If you wait too long, you cost yourself a number of years."

So then why sign Butler? Makes zero sense.

You should read the article...

"We sort of took what were our best assets, collected young players, and, as a result, we were sort of able to redeploy the payroll," said Beane. "That was all in January and February. There is a lot of the offseason. The benefit is we could conceivably have some savings to reinvest. That's the balance we're trying to walk. What we're not going to do, trying to do, is reduce payroll. That's a product of some of the trades we may make. The flip side, if we see available guys who can help us in 2015 and 2016, we're going to do that.

"In some respect, that's what Butler was. It was just early. It wasn't that we sort of switched gears after that. We were always going to want a guy like this, a right-handed hitter who hits in the middle of the lineup for three years."

What makes zero sense is why you believe that the A's are not 'in it to win it' . The Butler signing is your evidence. This is considered a large contract by Oakland standards.

I'm not saying they aren't in it to win it, I'm saying if they truly were in it to win it this season they would have held onto Shark, he wasn't too expensive. Or you don't spend $10 million on Butler and then you could afford to keep Shark.

I'm not saying they aren't in it to win it, I'm saying if they truly were in it to win it this season they would have held onto Shark, he wasn't too expensive. Or you don't spend $10 million on Butler and then you could afford to keep Shark.

Obviously they feel comfortable with what they have at the moment. Teams change throughout the season. Beane is savvy enough to know this and has the resources to add pitching when needed.

They will be a interesting team to watch. Wondering what the odds on them winning the WS are now? 100 to 1? Lol