• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Wood

Erstad Grit

Wasn't that the mid season deadline that ESPN reported the deal happened during the last minute but later reported it fell apart? I was super stoked and then blaaaah. 

The only thing good that came from that trade rumor was Adam's Microsoft Paint drawing of Halladay in an Angels hat.

Wasn't that the mid season deadline that ESPN reported the deal happened during the last minute but later reported it fell apart? I was super stoked and then blaaaah.

The last minute Halladay trade:

One of the best threads ever.

Edited by NJHalo

I still think Stoneman may have cost us a world series with his uncompromising refusal to part with any prospect. Not a fan of that guy.

I liked stoneman, and still like that he kept the young core intact.

That said, its a valid argument that we may have actually been 'one player away' during a big part of his time here. Ive always felt, and always will, that not getting a second bat to assist vlad was always our downfall. We had great pitching and vlad back then...not much else. Another stud hitting cleanup could have made all the difference in the mid 2000's

I liked stoneman, and still like that he kept the young core intact.

That said, its a valid argument that we may have actually been 'one player away' during a big part of his time here. Ive always felt, and always will, that not getting a second bat to assist vlad was always our downfall. We had great pitching and vlad back then...not much else. Another stud hitting cleanup could have made all the difference in the mid 2000's

He got Guillen the same year as Vlad, which worked out well. For a bit.

Remember "G Force"? Glause, Guillen, Guerrero... someone else?

He got Guillen the same year as Vlad, which worked out well. For a bit.

Remember "G Force"? Glause, Guillen, Guerrero... someone else?

Garret Anderson

Stoneman did a great job bringing in the FA year prior to the 2004 season.  However, his failure was not getting a bat to replace both Glaus and Guillen.  Not saying Guillen didn't need to go, but didn't get an adequate replacement for him.  The 2004 team struggled with power outside of Vlad.  When Glaus and Guillen went we had even less power. 

The other big mistake of Stoneman was letting FA go without  asking for arbritration.  Had he done that we would have received compensation picks in the draft.  Both Glaus and Molina should have been offered ARB.  DMAC was suppose to replace Glaus and that backfired, and Mathis was suppose to replace Bengie.  Well we know the story with Mathis. And worse, we didn't even get draft picks!

What Stoneman built, Reagins started to tear down, and Dipoto is now rebuilding.

Only two critiques about Stoneman, in my opinion, were never offering arb to impending FAs and never making a key July move.

Reagins did a few good things, like signing Torii and trading for Teixeira and not re-signing him.

But the other stuff far outweighed that.

Dipoto seems to understand needing a balance between big league success and minor league strength.   The minor league strength is taking time, but slowly is coming into focus.

He got us Teix to go with Vlad and it did alright to the best record in baseball. Just ran into a hotter team like this year.

yeah, that team was stacked. We should have had a couple of years like that.

We should have signed carlos beltran in 2004. He would have been cheaper (and more productive mostly) than torii, gmj and finley.

Storm beat me to it, it was GA.to be fair, GA was a beast for about 3-4 years prior to getting locked up. The arthritus killed his career. People can speculate on steroids, and it is possible, but he went from a guy who played 158 games a year like clockwork to a guy who played 120 as soon as it started. I would bet he was on medication that affected him.

So GA if healthy would have been nice with vladdy. That said, they still needed another 'super bat'. This was still the juiced era, when teams like boston were rolling out guys like jd drew to bat 7th. 2004 we were stacked until injuries set in. Then we had to wait a few years to get an offense again. Its too bad because we pretty much wasted a very good starting pitching staff and a ridiculous bullpen.