• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gas Prices

NJHalo

30 minutes ago, Tank said:

how do you pronounce this? i know it's "9 pounds" but don't know your money value after that.

"Nine pounds thirty five pence" is correct but rarely said in full.

"Nine pounds and thirty five p."

"Nine pounds thirty five."

"That's Nine thirty five love" is what you will most often hear or "Eighteen seventy please mate" if you're buying two.

Formally it's Pounds (Sterling) and Pence: if only referring to the pence it's often abbreviated to "p" - "fifty p please" "Can you spare twenty p?". In low single figure amounts they are called pennies: one penny, two pennies, three pennies, then probably four p, five p or pence etc.  

Just now, WicketMaiden said:

A quid is our equivalent of a buck. Just a nickname for pound.

thanks.

quid = pound = "dollar" (wink wink)

pence = pennies

what other denominations/amounts do you use?

btw, i greatly enjoy that everyone is called "love" or "mate."

35 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

We only pay £9.35 for any drugs the Doc prescribes too. Doesn't matter what it is, codeine, anti-biotics, steroids, tranquillisers, asthma treatments etc etc etc - all the same £9.35 each time you get a fresh bottle/tube/dose etc. Last time I broke a bone I went to the emergency room, had an X-ray within an hour, a cast maybe an hour after that, and walked out with a bottle full of really strong painkillers and an appointment for after-care as an out-patient half an hour after that. Didn't cost me a penny. So there's that to balance against the expensive beer (£3.50 per pint / £6 in London) and fuel. We also pay 12% on any earnings between £10k and £50k (2% above that) for National Insurance which is supposed to pay for the NHS and the state pension, but if you earn below £10k you don't pay anything and still get everything health related free or heavily subsidised. It could be better, but it kinda works.

EDIT: the 12% is just on earnings (wages). Not capital gains or asset sales or appreciation. The rich don't pay it and tend to go private for healthcare.

You had me till expensive beer.  If that's the pub price, then it's not bad at all.  Microbrews, at least the one's I've gone to, are around $6+.  

23 minutes ago, Tank said:

thanks.

quid = pound = "dollar" (wink wink)

pence = pennies

what other denominations/amounts do you use?

btw, i greatly enjoy that everyone is called "love" or "mate."

Quid and Pound is interchangeable in the same way Buck and Dollar is interchangeable. The right time and a place for both is pretty much identical. You wouldn't negotiate a business deal in quids, or offer on a house in quids, but you'd bet fifty quid on something or might remark you bought something for a couple of hundred quid. It's a working class, everyday term.

Thousands are often Grands or K. "I paid 35 K for the new Audi, the tight sods at the garage only gave me ten grand in part-ex for the old Beamer".

Mate; chap; pal; fella; squire; mon; duck; love; darlin'; honey; hun; we're a friendly people and each part of England has a slightly different flavour and favourite term. The further north you go, generally the friendlier it gets, although the Scots can be a bit grumpy and angry but that could just be saved for the English, which is fair enough in my book.

27 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

You had me till expensive beer.  If that's the pub price, then it's not bad at all.  Microbrews, at least the one's I've gone to, are around $6+.  

Yes that's on the pricy side for most of England. If the pubs in the north suddenly started charging £6 a pint there'd be pitchforks on the streets. It's that and more in London though.

We see it as expensive because the beer only costs something like 65p per pint from the brewery, out of the £3.50p total we pay. The government gets a huge slice of the transport costs in fuel duty, then the beer tax, then 20% Value Added Tax (Sales Tax) on top of everything (including the other taxes). 

On 11/19/2021 at 10:29 AM, WicketMaiden said:

"Nine pounds thirty five pence" is correct but rarely said in full.

"Nine pounds and thirty five p."

"Nine pounds thirty five."

"That's Nine thirty five love" is what you will most often hear or "Eighteen seventy please mate" if you're buying two.

Formally it's Pounds (Sterling) and Pence: if only referring to the pence it's often abbreviated to "p" - "fifty p please" "Can you spare twenty p?". In low single figure amounts they are called pennies: one penny, two pennies, three pennies, then probably four p, five p or pence etc.  

When I was in Scotland they really didn't want to accept money from the Bank of England. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

The folks that run our state are bigger idiots than the ones that run yours. Advantage goes to Kevin

We have our share of problems such as a one party state (no gridlock), certain taxes and of course when the Mormon church has hands in politics but for the most part it is a decently run state.

Love California but don't forsee myself ever moving back. 

17 minutes ago, Kevin said:

We have our share of problems such as a one party state (no gridlock), certain taxes and of course when the Mormon church has hands in politics but for the most part it is a decently run state.

Love California but don't forsee myself ever moving back. 

That’s true. Your liquor laws are garbage. Advantage Jason on that one 

On 11/19/2021 at 11:12 AM, WicketMaiden said:

We only pay £9.35 for any drugs the Doc prescribes too. Doesn't matter what it is, codeine, anti-biotics, steroids, tranquillisers, asthma treatments etc etc etc - all the same £9.35 each time you get a fresh bottle/tube/dose etc. Last time I broke a bone I went to the emergency room, had an X-ray within an hour, a cast maybe an hour after that, and walked out with a bottle full of really strong painkillers and an appointment for after-care as an out-patient half an hour after that. Didn't cost me a penny. So there's that to balance against the expensive beer (£3.50 per pint / £6 in London) and fuel. We also pay 12% on any earnings between £10k and £50k (2% above that) for National Insurance which is supposed to pay for the NHS and the state pension, but if you earn below £10k you don't pay anything and still get everything health related free or heavily subsidised. It could be better, but it kinda works.

EDIT: the 12% is just on earnings (wages). Not capital gains or asset sales or appreciation. The rich don't pay it and tend to go private for healthcare.

Shhhh, you're ruining the narrative.

On 11/27/2021 at 10:06 PM, gotbeer said:

So gas prices have gone down right?  Right?  Hello, is this thing on.  Gas stations, didn't you get the memo?

Oil is down 20% from its recent high, but gas is stuck at around $4.69 at most stations.

I don't expect gas to drop 90 cents (about 20%), not even close. Must be nice for these companies to have us by the throat. Unless the nation goes full EV's, we're stuck.