• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is this the worst ever ant infestation in SoCal?

Thanks, I have heard that one and have tried it some.   Seems to work in the little time I've done it.

The ants are seen near the front curb to the house, and streaming along the edge of the sidewalk and then up in a crevice between the side sidewalk and the grass.

I've been stomping the sidewalk area where they are crossing.   Obviously, that will only solve about 1% of the problem.   But it's something. 

Also had the tree branches trimmed back.

Why the hell do you care about ants outside?

I've worked in Pest Control for almost 14 years now. I can tell you this is one of the worst summers we've had in probably 6-7 years. I think there are two main factors that have led to it.

The first one was we had a very warm winter. I remember from Christmas to the end of January we were having record temperatures in the 90s here in Orange County. That led to the ants being active and building these super colonies rather than staying dormant like they tend to do that time of year.

The second and maybe most important reason are the regulations on pesticides that went into affect on January 1st. We have our hands tied in terms of what we can spray and where. California has gone pesticide crazy and they have put in so many laws that make it very hard to do adequate pest control. It also doesn't help that a lot of people are going "green" and using organic sprays that consist of oils. One thing ants don't like is oil and they know when it's been put down. So what's happening is people are using organic sprays and splitting colonies like crazy. Argentine ants are very good at adapting and are one of the only any species that can coexist with other types of ants so when you split colonies, they just build new ones.

I don't really see the problem getting any better in years to come especially since California is very close to pulling Termidor from the state which is by far the most effective pesticide against ants.

Speaking of laws, on July 1st new laws and regulations were put in on rodent baits also. You might notice places like Home Depot and Lowes no longer selling DCon pellet boxes. They've also put in strict regulations on us on how and where we can out out rodenticides. So it might not be this year, but I think in the near future, rat infestations are going to be out of control.

We haven't had ants inside the house for about 4 years.  I went through and filled every cavity or crevice where ants were entering the house with either caulk or insulating foam that comes in a can.  One of the places they entered was through electrical outlets and the insulating foam did the trick. 

Not a single ant since then! 

Speaking of laws, on July 1st new laws and regulations were put in on rodent baits also. You might notice places like Home Depot and Lowes no longer selling DCon pellet boxes. They've also put in strict regulations on us on how and where we can out out rodenticides. So it might not be this year, but I think in the near future, rat infestations are going to be out of control.

Stupid California!

Thanks, I have heard that one and have tried it some. Seems to work in the little time I've done it.

The ants are seen near the front curb to the house, and streaming along the edge of the sidewalk and then up in a crevice between the side sidewalk and the grass.

I've been stomping the sidewalk area where they are crossing. Obviously, that will only solve about 1% of the problem. But it's something.

Also had the tree branches trimmed back.

I can actually picture this.

I jut try to coexist with them. Like mountain Lions, coyotes and Indians, they were here first.

You might be a smart ass with this post but I agree, that's why the idea of killing ants that are outside blows my mind. Unless they are on the outside coming in from somewhere, then just spray home defense at the point of entry and deal with the issue on the inside of the house.

I've worked in Pest Control for almost 14 years now. I can tell you this is one of the worst summers we've had in probably 6-7 years. I think there are two main factors that have led to it.

The first one was we had a very warm winter. I remember from Christmas to the end of January we were having record temperatures in the 90s here in Orange County. That led to the ants being active and building these super colonies rather than staying dormant like they tend to do that time of year.

The second and maybe most important reason are the regulations on pesticides that went into affect on January 1st. We have our hands tied in terms of what we can spray and where. California has gone pesticide crazy and they have put in so many laws that make it very hard to do adequate pest control. It also doesn't help that a lot of people are going "green" and using organic sprays that consist of oils. One thing ants don't like is oil and they know when it's been put down. So what's happening is people are using organic sprays and splitting colonies like crazy. Argentine ants are very good at adapting and are one of the only any species that can coexist with other types of ants so when you split colonies, they just build new ones.

I don't really see the problem getting any better in years to come especially since California is very close to pulling Termidor from the state which is by far the most effective pesticide against ants.

I'm heading off to Arizona in a couple weeks where they don't believe in daylight savings time, equal rights or gun control, so if you could give me an idea of what to pick up and sneak across the border I will split the profits with you when I sell it on the black market. By black market I mean Adam and AO.

**** Ebola, we have the Black Plague!

We need t-shirts.

You might be a smart ass with this post but I agree, that's why the idea of killing ants that are outside blows my mind. Unless they are on the outside coming in from somewhere, then just spray home defense at the point of entry and deal with the issue on the inside of the house.

that also seems to be your p.o.v. on ISIS.

Your ants have nothing on the Republican caused ants here. They're everywhere outside. I hate hate hate hate fire ants.

Ants are the cats and mexicans of insects. Kill them ALL

Edited by Adam

one placed we lived had a pretty bad ant problem. someone told me that ants hate the smell of cinnamon and won't cross over it. just lay down a line of it and the ants will go somewhere else. this counsel was inherently false.

No Termidor???

How are we going to deal with the Freaking Termites!!!!