• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gordon Beckham

Stradling

Please say Dipoto isn't going to pull a Cespedes and trade Howie for a pitcher.

Cespedes > Howie.  Maybe not apples to oranges, but in the ballpark.

But realistically, no way Gordon fills Howies shoes.  Most GDP in one season is 12; Howie has 5 straight years beating that!

Kay clarifies that the Angels will send a PTBNL or cash considerations to the White Sox in exchange for Beckham, not both, as he initially announced (Twitter link).

so that means that we either send AO to Chicago or we take up a collection here on AW to keep him and send cash.

i think it's a move before a move. i would hate to see them trade howie at this stage of what has been such a great season, and where howie has been a big contributor, but i understand that pitching matters most in the playoffs and they may feel like their hand is forced to get someone.

beckham used to beat the snot out of us when he first came up. dreaded seeing him walk in the box because it seemed like he just owned us. but he's dropped way off from that first year or two and is now just a spare part.

@JeffFletcherOCR: Since you're all asking, I don't think the #Angels are trading Kendrick for a SP. No SP good enough to be worth Kendrick gets thru waivers

Brings up a question I have (and I should no better) - My understanding is that most teams put a large number of players through waivers right after the July 31 trade deadline; just to have the flexibility of trading.  Wouldn't that apply here?  Or does a player have to re-clear waivers after a trade is agreed to?  If so, why the pointless exercise on Aug 1?

I would have put acquiring another infielder who can't play shortstop literally at the bottom of things we needed.

The only way I understand this is if they've now decided Green is adequate enough at shortstop to cover for Aybar and we finally DFA McDonald, with Beckham being the guy who replaces Freese late in games.

I would have put acquiring another infielder who can't play shortstop literally at the bottom of things we needed.

The only way I understand this is if they've now decided Green is adequate enough at shortstop to cover for Aybar and we finally DFA McDonald, with Beckham being the guy who replaces Freese late in games.

Oz, I am asking this because I know you live in Australia, but how many games do you watch? For someone that is very knowledgeable about the sport, I am surprised how quickly you dismiss McDonalds value to the team from a defensive standpoint. I expect that kind of talk from some of the kids on here that still think that the only way a player contributes is with the bat. McDonald is an awesome defensive player that I am more than comfortable with in his current role. Now if Beckham is here and he gets some starts at third or at second, I am totally fine with that. But there is room for both in my opinion. There is still room for Green as well.

One other thing to keep in mind, is remember we did have Albert play a few innings at 3rd base in a game this year. This move helps make sure that doesn't have to happen again. It also allows us to pinch hit for McDonald late in a game after he is brought in for defensive purposes, if something happens where the lead has been given up.

I'm sorry, but Howie Kendrick is overhyped.

He will be dealt for a SP in the offseason and Beckham and Green will fight for the starting 2B position.

That's all folks.

This. If Howie can be dealt for anything remotely close to value I'm all for it. At this point the value of pitching FAR outweighs the value of a light hitting 2nd basemen who tends to fold under pressure.