• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gordon Beckham

Stradling

I don't see Howie as being overhyped by most fans at this point. He is a solid second baseman and a useful player on many rosters. He can land a good pitcher. He is more of a sure thing, albeit more expensive, than Trumbo and he brought a nice haul.

Beckham is terrible and is pretty much nothing more than AAA depth at this point in his career. Hopefully we didn't give up anyone with any kind of value at all for him. 

He's hitting .221 this year with a .598 OPS, and some people are actually wondering if we brought him here in order to trade Kendrick for a pitcher.

Can you believe that?!

what's Beckham's contract situation? If it's a salary dump by ChiSox as some have posted here -- then he's probably signed through 2015 at least.

otherwise, he may just be some infield depth as a rental with some added punch vs. LHP.

Beckham was pretty good prospect, up and comer at one point but as others here have stated, never really lived up to all the hype about his potential. Still had some decent years.

I don't recall him being considered much more than just average on D but can play all the infield positions.

I would think the guys most 'at risk' for losing playing time (or roster spot via trade or otherwise) would be McDonald, Green and perhaps Freese.  Beckham can play 3B and can run (or at one time was able to run) fairly well......I could see him spelling Freese at 3B against LHP, as a PH and then in September games it could go something like this -- Freese for 6 innings when Beckham PH for him in the 6th/7th and then McDonald comes on to finish up as late inning D guy at 3B......

Beckham can play some SS (not great) and 2B was his primary position.

I like the pick up -- the player to be named later is probably a AA prospect.......

well Freese has come on of late -- but GEEZ, some of his ABs through July looked pretty weak......

his D is suspect and GEEZ is he a poor (and slow) base runner.

If a LHP were on the mound, I might PH Beckham for Freese -- especially with a runner on first as Freese is Mr. GIDP.

Beckham, at one point in his career, had some semblance of speed on the base paths.......

His lefties OPS comes in big time handy against Kazmir and Lester in a possible part-time DH role.

That's exactly what I was thinking but his numbers against the A's don't look too good. I was thinking they got him for this upcoming series I forgot that Papsmear and Lester were pitching against us. He may offer some help off the bench.

I'm sorry, but Howie Kendrick is overhyped. 

He will be dealt for a SP in the offseason and Beckham and Green will fight for the starting 2B position. 

That's all folks. 

If Beckham is fighting for the starting 2B position next year, then we've filled one hole and created another one just as big.  Howie may not be great, but he's a helluva lot better than Beckham.

Addressing a few questions....

Re: waivers. Teams will put all their players through waivers over the course of the month. Not all at the beginning. Once you clear, you can be traded at any time. If you don't clear, I think the team has about 3 days to either work out a trade with the claiming team, let the player go or pull him back.

As for whose roster spot Beckham takes, let's not forget he's not showing up until aug 23. That's about a week of him before rosters expand. The Angels have 13 pitchers at the moment. Beckham probably takes a pitchers spot on Saturday. (I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cron take Navarro's spot because of the lefties they'll see from Oakland.) Then on Sept 1, Cron, Green, Navarro, Beckham, McDonald will all be here.