• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stock Market: The Thread

As someone who doesnt have any clue how this stuff works, what does this all mean?

I have a deferred comp investment plan at work. Does this mean i just lost a bunch of money? (Im not worried about it, i cant touch the money for years). And as far as the futures mentioned above, does that mean thr money bounces back if you dont sell off?

21 minutes ago, LHalo said:

The Dow mini was at -1500, now it's at +150. Crazy fluctuations.

https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/stocks/futures

same happened with rates. saw the 10 year bond lowered by 13, so hoping for better rates tomorrow.

one thing i'm hopeful of, is when these big swings and erratic days/weeks happen, there is generally a big fallout and then it's time to jump all over rates.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As someone who doesnt have any clue how this stuff works, what does this all mean?

I have a deferred comp investment plan at work. Does this mean i just lost a bunch of money? (Im not worried about it, i cant touch the money for years). And as far as the futures mentioned above, does that mean thr money bounces back if you dont sell off?

someone else should answer as i don't feel qualified in this realm, although i know a little. but yes, depending on your stocks in your comp portfolio you would have lost your ass if. say, you were a day trader trying to pull out. in the long term you'll be fine.

drastic swings in the short term, like just today, aren't dramatic. if it was a constant thing then it's time to hit the worry meter.

futures you are generally betting on certain commodities to improve in the long run......which is why they are on the strong end. after a crazy drop like today, everyone is rightfully betting the market and economy will improve.....hard to bet against the usa. 

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

You don't lose anything unless you sell.  In the end, the economy is looking strong overall.  This is just the market getting a bit spooked over the prospect of inflation / rates rising more quickly than expected.

The market went up over 20% last year.  We had been setting record highs on a repeated basis for over 6 months.  A pullback was going to happen at some point, and in truth, it's healthy for the market.  Don't waver or change course, just keep plowing away and doing the same thing you have been all along.

From what I’ve been reading, the volatility market created this slump. Some funds that short the VIX underperformed when the VIX spiked. It’s looking much worse after hours and it seems these funds may have to be liquidated. 

http://www.forexlive.com/news/!/something-incredible-is-happening-in-the-short-volatility-etf-xiv-20180205

http://www.forexlive.com/news/!/the-xiv-is-going-to-be-the-first-big-etf-blowup-and-credit-suisse-is-getting-hit-hard-20180206

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

no, they'll be better (do down). the bond dropped a bit and will do so again. rates dropped today and 29 lenders repriced midday.....same tomorrow.

Oh okay, yeah that was my hunch too.  The days of rates below 4 are behind us, but I think for the time being, we'll see low 4s.