• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stock Market: The Thread

1 hour ago, mrwicked said:

I hope you held the FB for a year...

it's in my IRA. 

i've been toying with opening a separate brokerage, but i'm not sure i want to leave money tied up for a year to avoid the extra taxes.

On March 9, 2009 the Dow closed at 6,547 though there was a big move up during the day's trading. This would prove to be the lowest point in the market crash, and stocks began to bounce back from there.

The Dow closed today at 25,335. That's a nine-year gain of 287%, an annual yield of 32%, not counting dividends.

Edited by fan_since79

i'm pretty much a doufus when it comes to investing

i have a 401a through my work. they take 5% of my pretax money, and give me options for investing it similar to a 401k.  that's been going on for 10 years. 

i also have a 457b that i voluntarily deduct 5% of my pretax money from. i just started that  a couple years back. wish i would've started a lot sooner. 

i've had a roth ira for 6 years now, maxing it out every year with good earnings in this bull market, and i only just now found out that i can withdraw contributions that i've made if needs be with no tax penalty. 

#TheMoreYouKnow

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

NASDAQ is getting killed today. Facebook down 7.4% on New York Times story that Cambridge Analytica mined data on 50 million users in an effort to help the Trump campaign in 2016.

i'm waiting for the lawsuit that challenges a company's practice of not only gathering information about their customers, but then turning around and selling it to other companies.

Crazy market. After the best day in years yesterday, the Dow fell more than 300 points today, and tech stocks got crushed on the NASDAQ.

There's an article in Marketwatch that puts the case a bear market has already started and will take another year to hit bottom, with the Dow settling around 18,000. Whatever, I'm not getting back in right now.

Market is tanking again, on fears of trade war with China.

The Dow is now 3,000 points lower than its all-time high in January.

Time to cut some losses and move some money to the sidelines? This may not bottom out for a while, but who am I to know? I've been wrong more times than I've been right.

19 minutes ago, Pablo said:

As my dad used to say, you don't lose anything until you sell.

Yep, I agree.  I was looking at it daily, now I doubt I have checked it since I posted that.  With 15 years until retirement I am sure I will be fine.  

The Dow recovered exactly 300 points from its low of the day. It could have been much worse. We were down 758 points at one time.

Full correction mode. The only question is whether this is a bear market. That will take some time to be clear.

There was some discussion on one of the business channels today to the effect that the 'trade war' (if it develops) might mean a loss of some $36 billion to the economy. At the same time the estimated benefit of the tax cuts is $800 billion. Those were the numbers I heard, but I don't pretend to understand all the details. Fundamentals are still very good for this economy going forward. There might not be much cause for a punishing bear market right now, other than fear.

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Fear is winning out again today.     Since I am diversified, I am staying put.   We've already had two giant recession/depression like drops in the market since 2000.

Got to hope this is just fear, and NOT a bear market that will go on and on. 

Yet despite Black Monday, the S&L crisis, the tech crash and great recession S&P annualized returns from 1986-2016 were 10% with dividends re-invested.  If you're truly diversified and not losing sleep at night none of the daily fluctuations should bother you because they're merely blips on the radar in a long term game.  If you are losing sleep at night over it then your risk tolerance and asset allocation aren't on the same page.