• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Texas Rangers

Adam

His glove earned him that contract. Based on metrics, his glove earns that contract but they were probably thinking they would continue to have a premium offense.

well all his value have come from his defense and running. Averaged around 3 war a year. Defensive metrics are still unreliable though. My main issue with the contract is more so the length and not the amount.

well all his value have come from his defense and running. Averaged around 3 war a year. Defensive metrics are still unreliable though. My main issue with the contract is more so the length and not the amount.

Yeah, as much as I like to look at the numbers defensive metrics are hard to buy into fully -- IMO he passes the eye test defensively.   Agree on the length being the issue.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Compare the andrus contract with trout and it looks even more hilarious.

Andrus got 120 mil and Trout got 180, although i'm sure the angels would have preffered a longer contract.

Edited by Poozy

Compare the andrus contract with trout and it looks even more hilarious.

Andrus got 120 mil and Trout got 180, although i'm sure the angels would have preffered a longer contract.

Trout hadn't even reached arbitration and is getting the equivalent of 30 million a year for free agency.

Trout hadn't even reached arbitration and is getting the equivalent of 30 million a year for free agency.

yea i know it was different circumstances, but they are still comparable.

I just think you should never give a guy such a large contract based mostly off of defensive value cause I don't trust the defensive metrics at all.

Especially when andrus never really proved anything with his bat.

Texas is a well run franchise that is simply having a down year. It happens. Injuries have been devastating. Few teams would be able to recover from what they have incurred.

Next year will be a telling year if Choo and Fielder rebound.

yeah i think choo and fielder will rebound and they also still have a good mix of young guys and vets to go along with a solid farm system, so they should be competetive for a while.

Leonys Martin is making  3.75 Mil this year, he will make 4.75 Mil next year.  He's a second year player.  Mike Trout is making 1 mil this year, he will make 5.25 mil next year.   The Angels have bought out Trout's arbitration years, the Rangers will be paying for Martin's starting in 2016 with Trout setting the standard for a player at his position.

I think most don't fully appreciate how few solid defensive SS are out there that can hit.

There are only 10 SS that have a wRC+ greater than 100 so far this season. I don't consider Hanley Ramirez or Starlin Castro as competent defensive SS so that leaves a grand total of 8.

In an era where offense is way down Andrus is actually a top 15 SS with upside.

The length of that deal was curious. However, as another user mentioned, if Andrus can produce at a 90 wRC+ clip here in out the contract is fine.

Texas is a well run franchise that is simply having a down year. It happens. Injuries have been devastating. Few teams would be able to recover from what they have incurred.

You say this a lot but I don't think you have really taken a look at how much they have pissed away in recent years.  They have basically followed in the footsteps of the Angels and mortgaged a large chunk of their future to try to fuel their playoff runs..   The have shown a willingness to lock up talent before it gets too expensive but that's been the norm across baseball, the Angels have done it as well and as far back as the cheap deals given to Salmon, Anderson, and Edmonds early in their careers.  The Rangers have done smart things internationally and acted ahead of changes to how guys could be signed and they definitely deserve credit for that but again, that's not all that different from the things Bill Stoneman did prior to the Draft and Follow changes... There are a lot more similarities between the Rangers and what the Angels did to get to where they were a couple years ago than I think you realize.  

In many ways this is their 2009... if they can pull another Texieria trade out of their asses they may well set themselves up nicely, but they may be facing a lot of changes in the near future while carrying some dead weight around.   I don't believe they are done, but I do think they have a bit of work to do but then so do the Angels.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I agree that giving up all those players for Garza was a little much, but I don't see how they've mortgaged their future over the last 4 or 5 years. 

And yet you are having trouble filling the holes due to injuries.  Forest, meet trees.  

Allow me to remind you of a few of the things you didn't see.   When people here mentioned the possible issues with your rotation you were quick to say the Rangers rotation had been dealing with essentially the same issue for several years, and that they had already been without two SPs for over a year (Lewis and Harrison), plus their best RP (Feliz).  That nothing had changed and the only guy you were concerned about was Tommy Hanson...  Oopsie,   When I openly wondered if the weakening of the Rangers defense would have an impact on Rangers, you stated that it was "patently false" that the defense was any worse.   They currently rank dead last at Baseball Prospectus in defensive efficiency and it would be really hard to argue that hasn't added to the pitching woes.

FTR, the Rangers have traded away at least 26 players in deadline deals between 2010 and 2013, including Neil Ramirez, Justin Grimm, CJ Edwards, Kyle Hendricks, Tanner Roark, Robbie Erlin, Chris Davis, Tommy Hunter, Mike Olt, and Pedro Strop.  The Angels over the same time are +/- 10 players in deadline deals.   

Think any of those guys would be useful this season?  I feel pretty justified in saying that have traded away a "chunk" of their future.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I think that shoving Nolan out the door hurt them more than they are willing to admit. In my opinion, Nolan Ryan deserved a lot of credit for building the Rangers' organization and loading that farm system with talent. He was probably much of the brains behind Daniels.

And yet you are having trouble filling the holes due to injuries.  Forest, meet trees.  

Allow me to remind you of a few of the things you didn't see.   When people here mentioned the possible issues with your rotation you were quick to say the Rangers rotation had been dealing with essentially the same issue for several years, and that they had already been without two SPs for over a year (Lewis and Harrison), plus their best RP (Feliz).  That nothing had changed and the only guy you were concerned about was Tommy Hanson...  Oopsie,   When I openly wondered if the weakening of the Rangers defense would have an impact on Rangers, you stated that it was "patently false" that the defense was any worse.   They currently rank dead last at Baseball Prospectus in defensive efficiency and it would be really hard to argue that hasn't added to the pitching woes.

FTR, the Rangers have traded away at least 26 players in deadline deals between 2010 and 2013, including Neil Ramirez, Justin Grimm, CJ Edwards, Kyle Hendricks, Tanner Roark, Robbie Erlin, Chris Davis, Tommy Hunter, Mike Olt, and Pedro Strop.  The Angels over the same time are +/- 10 players in deadline deals.   

Think any of those guys would be useful this season?  I feel pretty justified in saying that have traded away a "chunk" of their future.

None of those players would help the Rangers in their current state. I'm still not sure how the sheer number of trades they've conducted suggests that they've mortgaged their future. Trading a couple of mediocre prospects and major league players in order to improve the team is common practice. 

I didn't like the Choo deal and I didn't like the Andrus deal when is happened but both received high praise. Now they both look bad already. Add Fielder to that mix and they might have a rough time recovering. They have been unlucky with injuries though which I never like to see even if it is the Rangers.

Also, I find it annoying that Ranger fans stay away now. Pussies