• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Newcomb Signs

Cdaniel

Hopefully soon. This is the closest thing I could find: 

Newcomb isn't packing his bags for Los Angeles quite yet, though. He is currently in contract negotiations with the Angels to determine if they can sign him at the right price.

If Newcomb does opt to sign instead of returning to Hartford for his senior season, it is most likely that he will play either in the Rookie League or Low Class-A level this summer.

"I'm leaving it up to my advisor to see what the best possible decision for me is at the best possible point," Newcomb said. "I'm ready to roll right now. But it's in my best interest right now to follow my advisor and do what's best financially."

According to Baseball America, the 15th overall selection usually sees a big pay day with the value of the pick set around $2.5 million.

The large sum of money on the table for Newcomb comes as a wake-up call.

"It's exciting," Newcomb said. "It checks my reality. It becomes a job now. I become an investment for the Angels. It brings a little pressure too, but I like that."

Despite all the high acclaim that has come his way in the past week, things have really stayed the same for Newcomb, who turns 21 today.

Even though things haven't changed much yet, they will soon if Newcomb decides to put his signature on his contract to play professional baseball.

"Nothing has changed in my life so far," Newcomb said. "Just trying to stay in shape for whatever comes next."

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140612/PUB04/406120393/1040

Edited by rafibomb

Classic dilemma of take the money now or gamble on a senior year and hope for more next year. Hard to imagine the risk of regression or injury is worth the chance of climbing above 15th in the first round though. He should sign IMO.

Not only that but that's potentially less time at MLB level (not quite a season as he might get through the minors a bit quicker coming in with another year of college experience as a pitcher). Even if he were to climb several picks, he'd be losing out some future expected MLB salary as well.

If he were a sophomore, JC or a high school kid, this would be something you'd worry about. But he's a junior, he'll sign this year because next year he loses all negotiation leverage. Next year, it's either sign or go play Indy Ball. The only way he makes more money next year is if the draft class is weak and his stuff jumps up another level and he goes in the top three

If he were a sophomore, JC or a high school kid, this would be something you'd worry about. But he's a junior, he'll sign this year because next year he loses all negotiation leverage. Next year, it's either sign or go play Indy Ball. The only way he makes more money next year is if the draft class is weak and his stuff jumps up another level and he goes in the top three

Sophomores can't be drafted.

If they are 21 they can.

Don't worry about this guys. He's going to sign. There is maybe one first round pick every other year who doesn't sign. Maybe 2 every 3 years. Not a big deal.

Thank you for your continued involvement here. Hoping your career keeps you here in SoCal, and hopefully continued involvement with our team. Best wishes to you.

• 2 weeks later...

http://tinyurl.com/mwcr7ug

Angels confident they'll sign first-round pick

ANAHEIM -- The Angels have yet to reach an agreement with their first-round Draft pick, left-handed starter Sean Newcomb, but are confident they'll get it done before the July 18 deadline to sign amateur players.

"We're not close to anything," Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said. "We're continuing to talk. There's been normal rhetoric and we're confident that Sean wants to be an Angel and that we'll get this done."

Newcomb, 21, was plucked out of the University of Connecticut by the Angels with the 15th overall selection, representing the organization's first first-round pick in three years.

Newcomb is listed at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, with an electric fastball that sits in the mid-90s, an above-average curveball and a developing slider and changeup that could make him an effective four-pitch starter in the Majors someday. He went 8-2 with a 1.25 ERA in 14 starts for the Hartford Hawks during his junior season, striking out 106 batters and walking 38 in 93 1/3 innings, and has been compared to Red Sox ace Jon Lester.

Major League Baseball has recommended a $2,475,600 signing bonus for the 15th overall pick.

"He's a college kid, but he's just starting to find out who he is," Angels scouting director Ric Wilson said recently. "We'll monitor him moving forward, and at his pace, there's no telling what he can do."

Edited by Dreams

• 3 weeks later...