• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Red Sox lose 10 straight start brawl with Tampa

"Later in the inning, Yunel Escobar hit a two-run double and then took third on defensive indifference, setting off the fracas.

"There were some words exchanged," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "We're down five in the seventh, so it's somewhat a gray area when you shut down the running game."

-----------------------------

jfc baseball's unwritten rules are the dumbest shit

It's weird how the Red Sox went from terrible, to winning the world series, and back to terrible again.  I'm trying to think of another series win that was shoehorned in between two truly awful seasons (assuming they don't have a big turnaround very soon) and not coming up with anything.

'97 Marlins was my first instinct, but while they had that trainwreck 54-108 season as a followup, they weren't bad at 80-82 the year prior.  

Edited by markb

It's weird how the Red Sox went from terrible, to winning the world series, and back to terrible again.  I'm trying to think of another series win that was shoehorned in between two truly terrible seasons (assuming they don't have a big turnaround very soon) and not coming up with anything.

2002 Angels. Their winning percentages from '01-'03: .463, .611, .475

1997 Marlins. Their winning percentages from '96-'98: .494, .568, .333

I'd have sworn we won 80 games in '01, but I guess bad seasons are easy to forget when you win the series the next year.  Still not quite as bad as what the Sox have done, especially when you consider the expectations of the team.

"Later in the inning, Yunel Escobar hit a two-run double and then took third on defensive indifference, setting off the fracas.

"There were some words exchanged," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "We're down five in the seventh, so it's somewhat a gray area when you shut down the running game."

-----------------------------

jfc baseball's unwritten rules are the dumbest shit

You don't shut down the running game or any other part of the game. You play hard for nine innings or you don't step on the field. What a bunch of friggin pansies.

Seems that there is quite a bit of bad blood between the Rays and Red Sox. Maybe Bahston doesn't like getting their asses repeatedly handed to them by a team with a fraction of their payroll.

as much as that's a good narrative, it's deflated by the fact that the red sox won the world series last year and put the rays out of the playoffs in the divisional round. i think the "bad blood" has a lot more to do with a divisional foe, meaning you get lots of opportunities to play against them, the red sox are in a ten game losing streak and the rays just swept them which included 3 straight walk offs. any of those qualifiers will get under even the thickest skin eventually.

i really enjoyed it. like i said somewhere else, you've got to watch maddon's post game presser. so funny.

See this is exactly the crap I was talking about.

I mean, 5 runs is not an insurmountable deficit. Not even close. It's just a bunch of booty pain because the other team is beating you.

If you don't think that's an insurmountable lead you should try reading a gameday thread when the Angels are down 3 in the 3rd.

If you don't think that's an insurmountable lead you should try reading a gameday thread when the Angels are down 3 in the 3rd.

the last few seasons, angel comebacks have been less common than post marital bj's. it's not hard to understand how they might feel like they're a thing of the past.

joe maddon destroyed the sox in the post game interview. i highly recommend watching it, when he spoke directly to the camera was the stuff of managerial lore.

“They took umbrage with the fact that Escobar had stolen third base with a five-run lead in the 7th. That’s not even nearly as egregious as last year in the playoffs—last year in the playoffs when they had an 8-2 lead in the 8th inning, Ellsbury led off with a single and they stole second base, beating us 12-2. I think that was a little bit more egregious than their interpretation tonight…While we’re on the subject, I want to take this moment please regarding this crazy stuff about leads and teams trying to not score runs. I didn’t take any exception when they stole on us last year in the 8th inning in the Division Series, 8-2 lead, Ellsbury on, they steal. I didn’t take any because our goal is to not permit them scoring runs. Their goal is to score runs. The whole game. That’s always been the goal within the game of baseball. Apparently some of the guys on their bench did not like that. I really wish they would roll back the tape and look at that more specifically. You have to keep your personal vendettas, your personal prejudice, your personal judgmental components in your back pocket. So before you start screaming regarding any of that, just understand what happened just last year and also understand in this ballpark, 5-0 leads can evaporate quickly.”