• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It seems like Santiago is on a short leash

rageous

Santiago has a long leash as far as being our starter, but if he starts to waver with his command you'll see him get pulled quicker. We all saw that unravel against the M's after looking electric the first three innings last week. Then he settled down for two innings, unraveled in the 6th again. 

He's going to have to repeat his delivery to be an effective starter. 

If that doesn't happen, he can be a tremendous BOOST to our bullpen. 

If that happens I can see the job going to Shoemaker (who I really like) or Jose Alvarez. 

I really think that Santiago can be more valuable as a bullpen guy rather than a mediocre starter.

He can be the bridge between the starter and joe smith, and frieri that is badly needed right now.

I was also seeing that Santiago's fastball is getting hit at 346/.485/.577 and he is throwing his fastball 74% of the time.

That seems like a terrible combo for a starter.

I really think that Santiago can be more valuable as a bullpen guy rather than a mediocre starter.

He can be the bridge between the starter and joe smith, and frieri that is badly needed right now.

I was also seeing that Santiago's fastball is getting hit at 346/.485/.577 and he is throwing his fastball 74% of the time.

That seems like a terrible combo for a starter.

That does seem odd, given that he throws 4-5 different pitches.

Santiago is a big flyball pitcher with serious control issues. Not exactly a recipe for success as a SP. If he can somehow limit the walks, he can be solid. But I doubt that will happen. He has always had control issues, even in the minor leagues. And pitchers with control issues for this long rarely ever improve that... at least not by a huge amount.

Santiago has a long leash as far as being our starter, but if he starts to waver with his command you'll see him get pulled quicker. We all saw that unravel against the M's after looking electric the first three innings last week. Then he settled down for two innings, unraveled in the 6th again. 

He's going to have to repeat his delivery to be an effective starter. 

If that doesn't happen, he can be a tremendous BOOST to our bullpen. 

If that happens I can see the job going to Shoemaker (who I really like) or Jose Alvarez. 

Also he only unraveled after the strike 3 end of the inning pitch was mishandled by CI. He seemed to mentally fall apart after that. 

I think they need to give Santiago every opportunity to succeed.  Even with a lack of LHP BP depth, a start is always more valuable then a reliever.  For F sake, they gave Blanton a legit opportunity to lose 20 games last season and its not like there is a blue chip prospect knocking on the door.  Shoemakes is fine for long relief but Santiago's stuff is the best out of Shoemaker, Enright, or any other fringe/AAAA guy they are considering as an alternative.  Growing pains are going to happen with Skaggs and Santiago...it happened with Lackey  (4.60 ERA 1.40 WHIP 2003 - 2004) , Weaver (ERA over 4.00, WHIP over 1.30, couldn't pitch past 6 innings most games) , Santana (ERA over 5.00, couldn't win on the road, WHIP around 1.40 2005 - 2007)...he needs to be given the chance that Hanson, Blanton, Varga, and the rest of the crew were given last season.

Also he only unraveled after the strike 3 end of the inning pitch was mishandled by CI. He seemed to mentally fall apart after that. 

This is true.

I turned to the buddy I was with that night at Safeco and said "it's shit like what just happened (the passed ball ruled a wild pitch) that can unravel the best of them". 

Unfortunately for Hector, it did. 

Hector was throwing 94-96 MPH that night with good secondary pitches. After that passed ball he just simply lost it. He has to improve the mental part of the game if he's going to be a good to great SP. 

Hector was throwing 94-96 MPH that night with good secondary pitches.

This is why I want him to get the chance to work on his mental toughness.  Relievers usually have one plus pitch and maybe one other pitch that is decent with the rest being hittable.  He's got the bullets, just needs to work on his aim.

I think they need to give Santiago every opportunity to succeed.  Even with a lack of LHP BP depth, a start is always more valuable then a reliever.  For F sake, they gave Blanton a legit opportunity to lose 20 games last season and its not like there is a blue chip prospect knocking on the door.  Shoemakes is fine for long relief but Santiago's stuff is the best out of Shoemaker, Enright, or any other fringe/AAAA guy they are considering as an alternative.  Growing pains are going to happen with Skaggs and Santiago...it happened with Lackey  (4.60 ERA 1.40 WHIP 2003 - 2004) , Weaver (ERA over 4.00, WHIP over 1.30, couldn't pitch past 6 innings most games) , Santana (ERA over 5.00, couldn't win on the road, WHIP around 1.40 2005 - 2007)...he needs to be given the chance that Hanson, Blanton, Varga, and the rest of the crew were given last season.

this. we all knew that we have a rotation with a lot of pretty talented, young guys. the upside is HUGE (as skaggs and richards are showing), but you have to expect to occasional blow up. its not fun- especially when you are a playoff contender, but that's the boat we are in. its just that ideally we'd have a bullpen capable of going long innings and being pretty solid...(though, our extra inning games haven't looked half bad)

Last year's numbers were probably the best you could expect from Hector. Reality is he's more of a 4/5 guy who will get lots of K's but doesn't pitch deep into outings. 

I'd still rather have him as a starter since I feel like they wouldn't be valuing him as well as a reliever. Although Shoemaker isn't a bad option as a starter.