• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm Already Over Replay

So maybe I never was for it to begin with and maybe I'm not giving it a chance but jeez - it seems like every single close play we have the players calling for a challenge, the manager running out to hold up the game and then running back when the guy in the dugout watches the replay and realizes it's too close to call.

I thought replay was supposed to end manager arguments, at least those only happened every once and awhile, now we are seeing three or four brief 'arguments' every game. 

We aren't talking about getting calls right, but we keep talking about strategy, how and when to use your challenges, and how to adapt to the new system. 

Maybe it's just the new-ness of it all, but in the early stages of this season the subject of replay seems to have dominated all other aspects of the game, and really all we've done is changed the ruling on a bunch of very close and generally insignificant plays.

A bunch of umpires convened to look at Cain's pickoff and still got the call wrong, which stripped Bochy of his challenge privileges. The challenge system is stupid and counterintuitive. 

They just need to have an umpire monitoring slow-motion replay footage behind the scenes and relaying correct calls to the umpires on the field.

replay is one of the best things to ever happen to MLB.

managers most certainly do not challenge on insignificant plays. the one in detroit today that overturned an out call at 1B may have seemed insignificant, but only to a dilettante.  it didn't yield anything, but it most certainly could have had a huge impact.  

the resistance to this is goofy to me.  it was the same with tennis when they introduced electronic challenges half a decade ago.  the tennis community (including players, coaches, fans) was 50/50 about it.  now it's about as close to 100% in favor as you can get.

if anything, i hope the challenge system is applied to balls and strikes eventually.  the technology is already there to call the trajectory of a ball down to the millimeter.  

The "challenge" system will never be a part of balls and strikes.

I could someday see a computer call the balls and strikes ....someday.... and I would be OK with that, but I have a feeling I wont live to see it.

Edited by Homebrewer

replay is one of the best things to ever happen to MLB.

managers most certainly do not challenge on insignificant plays. the one in detroit today that overturned an out call at 1B may have seemed insignificant, but only to a dilettante.  it didn't yield anything, but it most certainly could have had a huge impact.  

the resistance to this is goofy to me.  it was the same with tennis when they introduced electronic challenges half a decade ago.  the tennis community (including players, coaches, fans) was 50/50 about it.  now it's about as close to 100% in favor as you can get.

if anything, i hope the challenge system is applied to balls and strikes eventually.  the technology is already there to call the trajectory of a ball down to the millimeter.  

I'm not saying I'm against the concept of replay entirely - I'm not a proponent of replay by any means but this implementation is just awful.

The "challenge" system will never be a part of balls and strikes.

I could someday see a computer call the balls and strikes ....someday.... and I would be OK with that, but I have a feeling I wont live to see it.

Honestly, I'd like to see a computer calling balls and strikes. That's a far more important and practical implementation of the technology.

Today they overturned a catch in the outfield on the transfer. Watching that replay it seems like they got the call right on the field, but changed it when they got to see it in slow motion (for some reason). After changing the call they had the umpires place the base runners. It wasn't that they placed the runners wrong, it's simply that the play never actually happened that way, it was just an estimate of what should have happened had they made a different call in the first place. It's like hypothetical baseball. Can't we just watch them play the game?

A bunch of umpires convened to look at Cain's pickoff and still got the call wrong, which stripped Bochy of his challenge privileges. The challenge system is stupid and counterintuitive.

They just need to have an umpire monitoring slow-motion replay footage behind the scenes and relaying correct calls to the umpires on the field.

Yep, no idea why they decided the challenge system was somehow superior

Blame the self-righteous, self important, and frankly, lousy... umpires for this. Something had to be done.

I am going to miss the Earl Weaver , Lou Pinella,  Billy Martin type blow ups at bad umpiring...but those ships have sailed.

THAT was some fun stuff to watch.

Blame the self-righteous, self important, and frankly, lousy... umpires for this. Something had to be done.

I am going to miss the Earl Weaver , Lou Pinella,  Billy Martin type blow ups at bad umpiring...but those ships have sailed.

THAT was some fun stuff to watch.

Why, that was BULLYING

I personally LOVE it.  The game might last 2-3 minutes longer, but now umpires are being forced to get the call right rather than getting it wrong and puffing out their chests because they're trying not to look weak for their BS call.  Home plate umps still get away with horrible strike zones and can tip the scales in any direction they like (or whichever direction MLB is paying them), but in time I hope that's done away with as well. 

I'm gonna give the replay thing some time. It's not going to be perfect 3 days into the season.

So far I like the overturns in cases where replay clearly shows the result of the play.

I think we can all agree that this is an improvement. Nobody likes yelling at the TV screen when slo-mo replay shows the obvious answer.

Personally I'm a little disappointed with plays at home plate.

So far it looks like catchers and umpires both have a pretty loose interpretation of the new blocking rule.

You can't block the plate if you don't have the ball, yet we've seen plays so far where:

1. A catcher is in front of home before he has the ball, but then receives the ball before the runner is on top of him. Runner slides into his body and is called out.

2. The catcher receives the ball while he is in the new proper position, in front of the plate and not in the basepath. Catcher receives the ball, swipes backwards, and the runner is safe.

If he had been in front of the plate, like in the past, he would have blocked the runner, caught the ball, and gotten the out.

I was over it when Scioscia spent a couple minutes on the field in Arizona before getting them to review something, then they spent too long reviewing it. 

Mistakes happen, replay or no replay.  They rarely decide championships.  Have it in the playoffs only.   

Edited by ScottT

love replay, and hope it increases

but that overturn on hamilton was stupid.  he caught it, and had positive control.  he dropped it when the play was already over.  really really dumb.  

This is like the third time they have overturned similar plays. (I'm not watching every game). These plays are almost always ruled outs on the field and have been for years, and now the replay booth is overturning them, when they are supposedly only overturning calls with definitive proof...

I was over it when Scioscia spent a couple minutes on the field in Arizona before getting them to review something, then they spent too long reviewing it. 

Mistakes happen, replay or no replay.  They rarely decide championships.  Have it in the playoffs only.   

This is pretty much my general line of thought. We play 162 games, the calls tend to balance out. Most of these questionable calls are on super close plays based on mostly arbitrary rules.

Is it really a big deal that an umpire perceived a ball to be hit one inch foul rather than one inch fair? On plays that close everything comes down to luck... the mud rubbed on the ball, the altitude of the stadium, the wind in the air, the decision to make the lines 90 degrees rather than 89, the umpire making the call... If you want the ball called fair, hit it more fair.... 

Edited by AngelsLakersFan