• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon working the 'nuances' of the replay system

yk9001

Very true. A lot of managers micro-manage like that these days. Maddon and Scioscia have similar managing styles, for obvious reasons.

Mike is one of the best managers in the game, and the Angels would be a far worse team without him at the helm.

i don't accept the characterization of absolutes. i don't live within an absolute mentality.

i don't think mike is a bad manager. i do think he has grown lazy with the angels and doesn't get his coaches and his players properly prepared and focused on a single goal. i would have fired mike after last season and probably the season before, although that's debatable. 

joe maddon is not a god, and i don't hold him to that standard. i am aware that he has embraced the front office strategies and is an innovative manager. he innovates out of necessity because he manages the low payroll rays in the AL east. 

at this point in their respective careers, maddon is a far superior manager. having said all of that, emotionally i would love for mike to win another title with the angels, but intellectually i don't believe he will. the duality of intellectual reality vs. emotional want is neither lost nor wasted on a sports fan's psyche.

now eric or someone can reply with how i'm a chicken little, or pessimistic, etc.

Edited by ukyah

Imagine Sean Rodriguez in the top of the order.

He had a strange fascination with batting Sam Fuld at the top of the order a few years back... last year it seemed Matt Joyce was his Aybar.   He also liked to bat BJ Upton second his final year in TB, because it's always a good idea to bat a guy who strikes out 150+ times a year second.

They both do peculiar things.

"...maddon is a far superior manager." 

Anything tangible you can base this on?

i suppose without trying to look anything up, as i don't know what stats would be available to measure a manager metrically, i'll go with low payroll team, toughest division most years, and wins. maddon has seemed to get the most out of a weaker team against the biggest powerhouses in mlb. 

once again, i don't think maddon is a god, but he's doing more with less. that would also explain his "constant" lineup changes that some are wanting to use as evidence against him. he's got one legit middle of the order bat and that's longoria.