• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon working the 'nuances' of the replay system

while we work on bunting stations.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/rays-learning-to-adapt-to-baseballs-new-replay-rules/2169005

Manager Joe Maddon — to the surprise of absolutely no one who knows him — already has been hard at work finding the first of what could be several loopholes, or as he prefers, nuances, in the program to exploit.

"I think the what-ifs are almost limitless," he said. "And that's the part people don't even understand. When you open Pandora's box, it's not as cut and dried as you think."

So that's why the Rays infielders were doing a drill Wednesday where, with a runner on second and a ground ball hit, they got what theoretically was the third out of an inning at first base, but they threw home anyway to potentially get another out.

Maddon's premise? That if the call at first was reviewed and that runner was ruled safe, that continuing the play to the plate could lead to the other runner being called out to still end the inning, or at least sent back to third when the umpires decide on placement since he would have been out.

OK, so let me get this straight. Two outs, runners on second and third, ground ball to short, bang-bang play at first, umpire calls out, first baseman wheels around and throws home, catcher tags out the runner who was jogging home from third for the fourth out.

Somebody is suggesting that after replay overturns that call, the umpires are going to count the fourth out as the third?

That just seems dumb. It's going to look like Little League out there, with players playing on after the third out.

Apparently this was discussed for all managers at their meetings with MLB, so Maddon didn't invent it.

You can't stop the Maddon love here Jeff.  To many posters your post will read something like this:

"Apparently Joe Maddon ran a meeting for all managers, he invented it."

I love Joe Maddon, but the first time he had Freese lead off, this place would explode. Or the first time he does that switch where the 3rd baseman plays shallow right and Wilson give up a ground ball single past third, the meltdown here would be epic.

so, if you believe joe maddon is leading the modern manager archetype, then you want to suck his dick? that's going to be how this thread devolves between "superfans" and "haterz?"

have other teams been running this drill, or ones similar? it's an honest question. i'm asking.

Edited by ukyah

in other news.  MLB radio was praising MS for the way he handled the replay situation on the Trout play at the plate.  Apparently he just convinced the Umps to review suggesting Ellis blocked Trout's path.  They agreed and also confirmed that Trout was out.  In doing it this way, MS didn't lose a challenge. 

in other news. MLB radio was praising MS for the way he handled the replay situation on the Trout play at the plate. Apparently he just convinced the Umps to review suggesting Ellis blocked Trout's path. They agreed and also confirmed that Trout was out. In doing it this way, MS didn't lose a challenge.

Maddon would have convinced the umpires the runner was safe without a replay. He is that good. Edited by Eric Notti

How about they are both really good managers with a lot to offer their teams? Mike annoys me at times too but, for God's sake, this constant Maddon stroking is ridiculous. Both are managers who, historically, more often then not, the get the most out of their roster.  Facts are facts, Mike won a WS as manager and Maddon lost one...to speculate on how much more Joe would gotten out the same group of players that Mike had is just finding reasons to be upset.

How about they are both really good managers with a lot to offer their teams? Mike annoys me at times too but, for God's sake, this constant Maddon stroking is ridiculous. Both are managers who, historically, more often then not, the get the most out of their roster.  Facts are facts, Mike won a WS as manager and Maddon lost one...to speculate on how much more Joe would gotten out the same group of players that Mike had is just finding reasons to be upset.

I frequently get frustrated with Scioscia and wouldn't mind if he was replaced, but I'd love to see the board react to some of the things Maddon does, if he was manager.  

Then you would love how much Maddon shuffles lineups and makes platoon replacements.

The same thing Scioscia does.

Very true. A lot of managers micro-manage like that these days. Maddon and Scioscia have similar managing styles, for obvious reasons.

Mike is one of the best managers in the game, and the Angels would be a far worse team without him at the helm.

Edited by failos