• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto comments on the rotation situation (because this board needs a good 10 page thread)

jshep

"I'm sure a lot of people think I have no chance, but I know the way the ball is coming out of my hand, and I like it," - Mark Mulder

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mark-mulder-angels-20140212,0,7672348.story?page=2#ixzz2t5419PGX

That guy just earned himself all kinds of AW hate from some people.

Scioscia nods head in great approval.

Only question: is it Marky or Muldy?

"I'm sure a lot of people think I have no chance, but I know the way the ball is coming out of my hand, and I like it," - Mark Mulder

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mark-mulder-angels-20140212,0,7672348.story?page=2#ixzz2t5419PGX

I can't imagine him lasting the entire season, but if he gave the Angels 3 good months, like solid number 3, before he experiences pain, then this rotation will be fine. At that point they could make a trade and take on payroll and stay below the CBT. I like his confidence.

"We have not prejudged," Dipoto said when asked where Blanton stands. "We're not in a position as an organization, nor is there enough pitching in the industry, to prejudge. Joe Blanton has had a solid Major League career; he's coming off a poor year. We have to be open-minded to how he can bounce back. If we find out that he can't, we'll make that judgment at the appropriate time."

Blanton isn't just coming off a poor year. He is coming off a year so bad that the Angels probably could have brought up any pitcher in the organization regardless of level and matched his production. And all that for only $7.5M.

Funny how we keep being told that money is not an issue, yet it is repeatedly cited as the main reason that various moves to help the club were not made.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Some dude I met at a bar in Manhattan Beach last weekend said he played Xbox with Blanton this offseason. Blanton was just trying to set up the opportunity to win comeback player of the year this year.

I'm far more worried about the $220,000,000.00 we owe the Albert Pujols than $8.5 million to Blanton.

Edited by YouthofToday

Normally, I'd agree with you because normally, it'd be Scioscia's call.  But since Shoe has options and isn't required to be stashed on the active roster, Dipoto will have a lot of say when he is and isn't on the roster.  Example, Mulder's hurt and Weaver needs to miss a start, everyone in the rotation is bumped up except Blanton.  He's remained in the bullpen in mop up duty while Shoe's been in AAA and is stretched out.  Shoemaker, given his performance last season will be given the start and then optioned back down to AAA.  It's the safer move than having Blanton start when he isn't stretched and losing your long reliever (Blanton) for a week of recovery after a spot start because he can't be optioned down to AAA.

This is all operating under the assumption that Blanton is even with the team.  If he isn't pitching better than Shoemaker and Mulder out of Spring Training they'll cut him.  The only way Blanton has an impact on this team is if it's in a positive manner.  He's in competition with two guys that are just flat out better than him, so the only way he pitches for the Angels is if he's earned it.  If he doesn't earn it, given the presence of Shoe and Mulder, there'd be no reason to keep Blanton and he'd be gone. 

Who gets optioned to AAA for Shoemaker to make this spot start?

I actually liked the Blanton move at the time.  I thought he would give us 200 innings at a 4.50 ERA, which combined with a good offense, would allow us to win more of his starts than we lost. 

But in looking at his stats more closely, Blanton was terrible for the two years leading up to his deal with the Angels, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that he sucked as bad as he did last year.  And now that he has had three horrible seasons in a row under his belt, there is no reason to believe he will be anything other than terrible again this year. 

Some dude I met at a bar in Manhattan Beach last weekend said he played Xbox with Blanton this offseason. Blanton was just trying to set up the opportunity to win comeback player of the year this year.

I'm far more worried about the $220,000,000.00 we owe the Albert Pujols than $8.5 million to Blanton.

Right.

Despite the article, I have trouble believing that Dipoto won't find another pitcher. EVERYONE knows we need at least one and so does he.

If we go into the start of the season like this and Skaggs makes the team, but struggles, then Dipoto has to take major heat. Like the Blanton deal, this is like seeing a meteor coming toward the earth. A disaster in plain sight. 

Despite the article, I have trouble believing that Dipoto won't find another pitcher. EVERYONE knows we need at least one and so does he.

If we go into the start of the season like this and Skaggs makes the team, but struggles, then Dipoto has to take major heat. Like the Blanton deal, this is like seeing a meteor coming toward the earth. A disaster in plain sight. 

twice

But in looking at his stats more closely, Blanton was terrible for the two years leading up to his deal with the Angels, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that he sucked as bad as he did last year.  And now that he has had three horrible seasons in a row under his belt, there is no reason to believe he will be anything other than terrible again this year. 

Funny that you can see that, but people in our front office can't. And those people are paid to see it.

After camp, the depth chart will be

1 Weaver

2 Wilson

3 Richards

4 Santiago

5 Skaggs

6 Shoemaker

7 Mulder

8 Maronde

9 LeBlanc

10 Blanton

Not if you ask the failos. This is what they see:

Blanton

Blanton

Blanton

Blanton

Wilson

DL- Weaver

AAA- Skaggs (because Scioscia will always go with the veteran)

DFA- Mulder

Well, the doom and gloom just gets kind of old jshep. Do I personally think that Blanton should be starting games for the Angels this year? No. But will it be the end of the season if he starts a few games for us? Not really. It will truly depend on how the other pitchers fair this season. If Skaggs isn't ready then it very well could be a long season. But if he is, and it is about that time for him to be ready, then we could have a pretty solid, but not great staff. It lacks depth, but that is something that can be addressed with a trade during the season. I just have a feeling that the offense is going to be great this year, and it will carry us during some poor pitching performances.

Failos and nutswingers not being used as shorthand for "You disagree with me!" around here would be kind of neat.

For most people there is an actual in between.  For instance since Blanton has no options then he will either be on the opening day roster or not with the organization at all.  Since he is making 8.5 million there is a pretty good chance he will be on the roster.  Mop up and spot starter duty.