• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto comments on the rotation situation (because this board needs a good 10 page thread)

jshep

If Blanton pitches like he does last spring then there might be a taker for him if the total cost to that team is right around $1 million, they would basically are taking a chance that he returns to the 10-12 with a 4.50 ERA type form for some fringe playoff team. As far as who do we have that is better, my guess is it would depend on how Shoemaker, Skaggs and Mulder do in spring training and if we have the ability to trade for a serviceable arm.

If Blanton pitches like he does last spring then there might be a taker for him if the total cost to that team is right around $1 million, they would basically are taking a chance that he returns to the 10-12 with a 4.50 ERA type form for some fringe playoff team. As far as who do we have that is better, my guess is it would depend on how Shoemaker, Skaggs and Mulder do in spring training and if we have the ability to trade for a serviceable arm.

With the position the club is in I feel like anything that Blanton can do to increase his value is just increasing this team's willingness to keep him. He's going to get at least 15 starts at this point unless the situation changes.Those 15 starts are based on the assumption that Skaggs is throwing 170 or so innings, Shoemaker is getting 10 starts and Mulder 5. Who are the next three guys in line? They are likely to pick up a start each at this point as well.

Edited by AngelsLakersFan

You're missing the most important thing, and that's how none of these young guys have ever thrown 200 innings in a season. It wont happen.

1000 innings is a good target from your starting rotation. It puts them at just above 6 innings per game. Doing some back of the envelope math based on the inning totals we should expect from these five guys, and we are about 25-30 starts short, with the rest of the innings coming from using bullpen depth we probably don't have.

I have been one of the most 'vocal' on this site about that.  It's why I think Skaggs is gonna start in the minors, but also why I think it's so important to sign another serviceable major league starter.  

Who is going to trade for Blanton? There can't be too many teams out there who need him to pitch well more than the Angels do at this point.

Did you think anyone wanted Vernon Wells a year ago? One injury made it happen.

I think Blanton needs a change of scenery after the disaster of 2013. He's certainly got the track record to be better but I'd bet it's more likely to happen somewhere else.

As for no pitching depth if he's gone....

You really can't waste a bullpen spot on him. If you are going to have 3 young starters you need all 7 relievers to be legit. Scioscia said this today, in fact. So the starter depth is whoever can be stashed at AAA. LeBlanc and Shoemaker, at least. Skaggs has options if Mulder makes it. Mulder may pitch at AAA for a little while if Skaggs makes it.

This no depth problem can only really be fixed by improving the farm system. To have storable inventory the guys need to be young and with options. Not a bunch of Joe Blantons or even Chris Capuanos.