• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto comments on the rotation situation (because this board needs a good 10 page thread)

jshep

When I talked to Dipoto he did mention Shoemaker as an underrated option "that no one talks about."

Shouldn't he be talking him up though? As a GM he should be marketing his players 24/7. If he gives the impression that Shoemaker is valuable to the team's near future, he could up his trade value or at least make other GMs take notice? Or is that overrated and only things us message board folk think goes on in the games GMs play?

my reservation with Skaggs is that his predicted success seems to hinge on a new change in his mechanics, which still needs to be straightened out.  In other words, he's going to need some coaching help.  If this were 2008 and Dave Duncan was our pitching coach, I might be excited.  But seeing as how it's still Mike Butcher & co., I'm fairly skeptical.

hahaha, oh man.  Can't wait for Chuck to put the Pollyanna spin on this, since there was "no way" Blanton was going to start games for the Angels in 2014.

We'll see what Dipoto is able to pull off trade-wise in-season or even in spring, but right now IMO the rotation is in equal and maybe even worse shape than last year at this time, and we saw how 2013 went.

There is no way Joe Blanton opens the season in our rotation. A spot start due to injury? maybe.

When I talked to Dipoto he did mention Shoemaker as an underrated option "that no one talks about."

As revolting as the rest of the news was - this is good to hear.  I have said it before, his numbers in SLC were actually pretty strong.

JD is essentially banking on the fact that Blanton won't be nearly as bad as he was last year and in doing so is essentially equivalent to whoever they would sign at this point anyway.  

I give JD some credit for sticking to his guns, but that is a pretty risky proposition.  It's not what I would choose.  

IF indeed that's what he's thinking...  Then the people who have lumped everyone still available with Blanton should be happy to see their GM agrees with them.

Edited by Inside Pitch

In order to open the season as the 5th starter, Joe Blanton would need to outperform Tyler Skaggs, Mark Mulder and Matt Shoemaker.  I know everyone is overanalyzing everything right now, but at this point, assuming Mulder and Shoemaker are healthy, Blanton is sitting 7th or 8th on the depth chart.  If he makes more than three starts for the Angels this season, that'd either mean he figured out why he sucked so bad last year and fixed it, or the Angels are well on their way to losing 100 games.  

Stop worrying about Joe Blanton, he's not in a position to hurt this ball club like he was last year. 

this is a recipe for dipoto not being offered a contract at the end of this season. i had high hopes for him, he seemed to really know what he was talking about, but overall he's been a rather large disappointment. he's made more old school mistakes than new school, which is odd.

if everything doesn't break right for the angels this year, i'm afraid it's going to send this organization into a tail spin. i believe in those pitching acquisitions, but i just don't understand not signing another starter and bp arm. they'd still be under the cap.

In order to open the season as the 5th starter, Joe Blanton would need to outperform Tyler Skaggs, Mark Mulder and Matt Shoemaker.  I know everyone is overanalyzing everything right now, but at this point, assuming Mulder and Shoemaker are healthy, Blanton is sitting 7th or 8th on the depth chart.  If he makes more than three starts for the Angels this season, that'd either mean he figured out why he sucked so bad last year and fixed it, or the Angels are well on their way to losing 100 games.  

Stop worrying about Joe Blanton, he's not in a position to hurt this ball club like he was last year. 

Not true. Skaggs and Shoemaker have options. Blanton is pretty much guaranteed a spot on the roster.

Remember the 2013 spring training when Joe Blanton had a 2.37 ERA. He was amazing.   :P 

I'm confident that our current 5 can be a productive group. Counting on 3 young starters can be risky but the Angels didn't really have a ton of options this offseason.

Personally, I would still feel comfortable going out and signing Capuano. He has done very well against lefties, which helps him in spot starts needed against teams like the Rangers and Mariners. If he doesn't do well, stick him in the bullpen where he has experience.

Blanton may rebound some but I'm not ready for the team to give him 10 starts to figure that out. If that happens, something really hasn't gone right.

Another concern is the possibility of a starter getting injured in Spring Training. That leaves Mulder, Shoemaker or Blanton as the 5th starter out of Spring. That just can't happen.

I actually doubt that he is lower on the depth chart than Shoemaker even though I think he should be.  If he doesn't make the opening day rotation, I think he's the 6th man and will get some spot starts until he's released before mid year.

I don't think you understand how pitching depth works at the major league level...

I do think it's possible Mulder makes the 5th spot in the rotation out of camp. That said Mulder won't last through May, and if he does, wow. This would give a little time for Skaggs to fix his delivery and replace him in the rotation. 

Of course the first real injury puts Banton in the rotation. Assuming Joe is healthy all year, and they don't add another starter I'd expect Joe to get around 15 starts. This also assumes that Joe can keep his ERA under 7.00.

I think the fact that Blanton can refuse an assignment to AAA helps his chances of making the team as at least as swingman A LOT as it stands now

Almost Everyone else has options and Mulder did express a willingness to pitch in Salt Lake at least in the short term.

Edited by jshep

I actually doubt that he is lower on the depth chart than Shoemaker even though I think he should be.  If he doesn't make the opening day rotation, I think he's the 6th man and will get some spot starts until he's released before mid year.

Normally, I'd agree with you because normally, it'd be Scioscia's call.  But since Shoe has options and isn't required to be stashed on the active roster, Dipoto will have a lot of say when he is and isn't on the roster.  Example, Mulder's hurt and Weaver needs to miss a start, everyone in the rotation is bumped up except Blanton.  He's remained in the bullpen in mop up duty while Shoe's been in AAA and is stretched out.  Shoemaker, given his performance last season will be given the start and then optioned back down to AAA.  It's the safer move than having Blanton start when he isn't stretched and losing your long reliever (Blanton) for a week of recovery after a spot start because he can't be optioned down to AAA.

This is all operating under the assumption that Blanton is even with the team.  If he isn't pitching better than Shoemaker and Mulder out of Spring Training they'll cut him.  The only way Blanton has an impact on this team is if it's in a positive manner.  He's in competition with two guys that are just flat out better than him, so the only way he pitches for the Angels is if he's earned it.  If he doesn't earn it, given the presence of Shoe and Mulder, there'd be no reason to keep Blanton and he'd be gone.