• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When do you trade Weaver?

Docwaukee

Well if it came to a situation where they were to trade Weaver, the future would be looking terrible anyways.

I'm not advocating trading him but it wouldn't surprise me to see the team consider it if the Angels were bad again next year.

If that happens I think a lot of other players and coaches will be traded, waived or fired before Weaver is moved. 

I love Weaver, but if the right trade came along... You seriously have to consider it. At the end of the day you gotta do whats best for the TEAM. I get the loyalty side of things, but this is a business. If some GM came to DiPoto and offered up 2 MLB ready pitching prospects (one or both with ace type stuff) and maybe a young high ceiling SS/3B then its something Jerry would really have to think about.

im gonna go with never- in this day and age its rare for a player to stay with one team for a career but in my opinion he should be a career Angel. He gave this team a team friendly conteact avoiding what would have been a huge payday he obviusly wants to stay here and i hope he does long term .

I imagine some will get their panties in a wad about this, but Rotographs isn't so optimistic about Jered.

That said, I don't think Weaver gets traded and plays out his entire career as an Angel. Even if the Angels are a complete mess this year and a fire-sale is warranted, I see Jered staying. He's the Chuck Finley of this era.

Oh wait, Chuck played his last few years elsewhere (unfortunately - I can't remember why the Angels didn't re-up him in 2000). Even so, I could see Jered playing out his contract and going year to year after that as the elder statesman. Even if Rotographs is right and he's done as a #1, even a #2, I could see him stabilizing at 3ish WAR, mid-3.00 ERA for the next five or six years and pitching into his late 30s, retiring with around 50 fWAR, edging out Chuck (45.6) and Nolan Ryan (43.8) for the highest all-time among Angels pitchers.

It's no secret I feel exactly the same way. Fans on this board get really offended if you ever speak honestly of Weaver though. Edited by Poozy

It's no secret I feel exactly the same way. Fans on this board get really offended if you ever speak honestly of Weaver though.

the article AJ linked is the reason I started this thread in the first place. 

I agree with most that really the only way he is moved is if he asks to be.  Might be a nice way to pick up a few prospects in the last year of his contract if the team is out of it.  Then he can re sign with the halos in the off season.

the article AJ linked is the reason I started this thread in the first place. 

I agree with most that really the only way he is moved is if he asks to be.  Might be a nice way to pick up a few prospects in the last year of his contract if the team is out of it.  Then he can re sign with the halos in the off season.

Why wait till the last year of his contract? The Angels could decide to say **** it and rebuild by the trade deadline if they are out of the race, and Pujols and Hamilton continue to decline.

It makes sense to trade Weaver when his value is high. Say he pitches great this year, but the angels stink up the joint. Weaver could bring in the best haul outside of trout.

Why wait till the last year of his contract? The Angels could decide to say **** it and rebuild by the trade deadline if they are out of the race, and Pujols and Hamilton continue to decline.

It makes sense to trade Weaver when his value is high. Say he pitches great this year, but the angels stink up the joint. Weaver could bring in the best haul outside of trout.

obviously, with the NTC, that would be up to Weaver.  You also can't just look at it from a on field value perspective.  He's a career halo and a big draw.  Fans love him and come to see him play.  Granted, people come to watch the team win first and foremost, but his value to the franchise means something.  I think they'd be more inclined to trade Wilson first. 

obviously, with the NTC, that would be up to Weaver. You also can't just look at it from a on field value perspective. He's a career halo and a big draw. Fans love him and come to see him play. Granted, people come to watch the team win first and foremost, but his value to the franchise means something. I think they'd be more inclined to trade Wilson first.

You don't just trade one or the other. They should trade both of them if they look to rebuild.

The only player on the angels that actually draws fans is Trout.

Outside of that, winning is what truly brings fans to games.

Edited by Poozy

You don't just trade one or the other. They should trade both of them if they look to rebuild.

The only player on the angels that actually draws fans is Trout.

Outside of that, winning is what truly brings fans to games.

Yah.  Don't know about that.  Polling a large component of the general fan population might lead you to believe differently.  While I agree that they could trade him with his consent, I'd be surprised if the majority of fans would be ok with that.