• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When do you trade Weaver?

Docwaukee

Yah. Don't know about that. Polling a large component of the general fan population might lead you to believe differently.  While I agree that they could trade him with his consent, I'd be surprised if the majority of fans would be ok with that.

What do you think the fans are going to do? Protest? Give me a break. People will be sad he's gone, but happy that he'll have a shot at winning a ring with another team.

Just like the suns trading Nash. Fans were sad to see him go, but happy to see him have a shot at a ring.

You really think Weaver would decline to be traded to a contender if the Angels were looking to rebuild?

What do you think the fans are going to do? Protest? Give me a break. People will be sad he's gone, but happy that he'll have a shot at winning a ring with another team.

Just like the suns trading Nash. Fans were sad to see him go, but happy to see him have a shot at a ring.

You really think Weaver would decline to be traded to a contender if the Angels were looking to rebuild?

uh whut?  You don't think people would come to watch Weaver pitch even in a down year?  More so than they would other players?

Of course the fans would be happy for Weaver if he got a chance to win.  Just less inclined to show up if he were gone. 

I also don't think he'd decline a trade if the halos were rebuilding and no one would fault him for that. 

My point was that people come to see him play.  You implied that they don't, and I disagreed. 

"What do you think the fans are going to do? "

Stop showing up. The second the Angels enter a rebuild mode, a majority of the fans would probably stop coming to games.

Although Trout would probably help keep a decent amount of fans still coming.

I agree, fans would stop showing up, because of rebuilding, not trading weaver Edited by Poozy

Ha, don't worry Rick. I purchased so much space that we could have 10 billion of these same threads, plus everything else. 

I'm looking for something worthwhile and I get this crap.  But, 10 billion of these same threads sounds like a challenge.  ;)

Finley was the precedent.   People were very happy for Fin, and wanted him to win after he took less and resigned with the Angels twice.

I agree, fans would stop showing up, because of rebuilding, not trading weaver

Supporting Weaver and the team go together though.

If the team trades their best home grown pitcher they've had in the past 15 years, it's a really terrible message to send.

Weaver is definitely a fan favorite here and I'm sure some people would stop showing up if he was traded.

Many of you are picking sentimentality over winning. If Weaver is still productive you don't trade him simply because his value on the mound overshadows any gamble on prospects. If Weaver's production falls off his trade value is even less but you have to consider if losing his payroll is best for the long term but your trade package is of minimal value. In either case the decision has nothing to do with some team loyalty it is only a straight business decision.

Weaver showed loyalty to the Angels and what do we fans do we talk about trading him. Shaking my head right now. Loyalty has to be two ways and the Angels better not even come to Weaver and request him to waive his NTC. What a slap in the face when he could have waited for free agency and signed for a whole lot more. He is not a ace anymore but he is a smart pitcher that knows how to get batters out. Location, change of speeds and pitch selection is how he gets it done. He doesn't need his 92+ fastball to get batters out.

Weaver showed loyalty to the Angels and what do we fans do we talk about trading him. Shaking my head right now. Loyalty has to be two ways and the Angels better not even come to Weaver and request him to waive his NTC. What a slap in the face when he could have waited for free agency and signed for a whole lot more. He is not a ace anymore but he is a smart pitcher that knows how to get batters out. Location, change of speeds and pitch selection is how he gets it done. He doesn't need his 92+ fastball to get batters out.

I'd rather see my team win games. If trading Weaver helps make that happen then so be it.

We've had speculative threads about trading Trout so I figured this was fair game

By no means am I advocating such, but would you?  And if so, when?

There are obvious concerns about Weaver's velocity, Increasing line drive rate and decreasing K rate.  Do you sell high soon regardless of whether you have playoff aspirations? 

I don't think the halos would ever do this, and I am not sure I would ever want them to as Jered is probably my favorite halo pitcher of all time. 

But the concept is interesting in that some would argue he's set to turn into a pumpkin very soon.  What if you could get two top five pitchers from a team with a deep farm? 

What if someone told you that in 2014 he'd have an era around 4? 

I am willing to bet he has a no trade clause.  You don't give a team a home town discount and allow the possibility for that team to  trade him

Did you read the OP?

This thread is for a fun discussion. Nobody is clamoring that they should trade Weaver right now. 

I imagine some will get their panties in a wad about this, but Rotographs isn't so optimistic about Jered.

That said, I don't think Weaver gets traded and plays out his entire career as an Angel. Even if the Angels are a complete mess this year and a fire-sale is warranted, I see Jered staying. He's the Chuck Finley of this era.

Oh wait, Chuck played his last few years elsewhere (unfortunately - I can't remember why the Angels didn't re-up him in 2000). Even so, I could see Jered playing out his contract and going year to year after that as the elder statesman. Even if Rotographs is right and he's done as a #1, even a #2, I could see him stabilizing at 3ish WAR, mid-3.00 ERA for the next five or six years and pitching into his late 30s, retiring with around 50 fWAR, edging out Chuck (45.6) and Nolan Ryan (43.8) for the highest all-time among Angels pitchers.

we didn't re-up finley because we didn't need him anymore, AJ. We had an absolute beadst of a rotation with guys like alan watson and ken hill. Then we threw in steve sparks to compliment jason dickson and that cooper guy.

How did that team never win it all is beyond me. (And that's without mentioning bottenfield and kent merker. Hell, we even had jack mcdowell only like a decade after his cy young year)

Seeing Weaver retire an Angel would be awesome. His loyalty should be rewarded but you make trades when it makes the team better. With that said I don't see how trading any of our starters makes them better. They don't have the personnel in the org to do that this season and still compete. If the Halos continue to suck there is nothing wrong with trading him to a contender so he has the chance of getting that ring (if it's important to him).

we didn't re-up finley because we didn't need him anymore, AJ. We had an absolute beadst of a rotation with guys like alan watson and ken hill. Then we threw in steve sparks to compliment jason dickson and that cooper guy.

How did that team never win it all is beyond me. (And that's without mentioning bottenfield and kent merker. Hell, we even had jack mcdowell only like a decade after his cy young year)

ha!  nice.  The 2000 was the biggest waste of an offense I can ever remember.  The SP era for the season was 5.5.  Only Washburn, who had a 3.74 era in 14 starts had an era below 5.0 of all the regular starters. It'd be like having Hanson and Blanton start every game for you. 

interesting corollary though - they added pat rapp and ismael valdez the next year keeping Shoenweiss, Wash and Ortiz, and the SP era dropped to 4.5.  The offense went to total shit though.