• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When do you trade Weaver?

Docwaukee

We've had speculative threads about trading Trout so I figured this was fair game

By no means am I advocating such, but would you?  And if so, when?

There are obvious concerns about Weaver's velocity, Increasing line drive rate and decreasing K rate.  Do you sell high soon regardless of whether you have playoff aspirations? 

I don't think the halos would ever do this, and I am not sure I would ever want them to as Jered is probably my favorite halo pitcher of all time. 

But the concept is interesting in that some would argue he's set to turn into a pumpkin very soon.  What if you could get two top five pitchers from a team with a deep farm? 

What if someone told you that in 2014 he'd have an era around 4? 

Weavers contract expires after 2016.  While he would get a return, with our pitching situation in the minors.  It would be hard to replace the production.  Especially at the price.  Unless you get some sure fire future ace type pitching prospects, which I don't think you will, you have to pass unless he asks to be traded.

I would trade him as soon as next year if the Angels were out if it again at the deadline.

Although if they were to trade Weaver, I would want to see then just do a fire sale and trade Kendrick, Aybar, Freese and possibly Wilson.

I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that though. I want the Angels to win and I want Weaver to stay.

Weavers contract expires after 2016.  While he would get a return, with our pitching situation in the minors.  It would be hard to replace the production.  Especially at the price.  Unless you get some sure fire future ace type pitching prospects, which I don't think you will, you have to pass unless he asks to be traded.

I think you would if you trade him next year.  Again, I wouldn't, but I think trading a guy with a career 3.2 era who has 2/38 left on his contract for his 32/33 seasons would have some considerable value.   Look what James Shields got.  Granted, that was pure robbery, but it just takes one. 

Jered Weaver rhp
5 years/$85M (2012-16)

• 5 years/$85M (2012-16)
    • signed extension with LA Angels 8/22/11
    • $1M signing bonus
    • 12:$14M, 13:$16M, 14:$16M, 15:$18M, 16:$20M
  • full no-trade clause

We can't trade him without his permission. If we do he will want to negotiate a new deal that comes with a raise in return. Basically we would have to pay him to leave. 

which is what?  

i'm intrigued.  been posting on angels boards since 2001 and know most of the mods on here.  they're not idiota and would be able to figure out if i wer using alts.

so what is my other account?

You quoted your own post and replied to it.

Jered Weaver rhp

5 years/$85M (2012-16)

• 5 years/$85M (2012-16)

• signed extension with LA Angels 8/22/11
  • $1M signing bonus
  • 12:$14M, 13:$16M, 14:$16M, 15:$18M, 16:$20M
  • full no-trade clause

We can't trade him without his permission. If we do he will want to negotiate a new deal that comes with a raise in return. Basically we would have to pay him to leave.

Weaver is a huge competitor and may want a shot at winning a WS.

If the Angels are struggling again next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him waive his no trade clause to go to a contender.

Weaver is a huge competitor and may want a shot at winning a WS.

If the Angels are struggling again next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him waive his no trade clause to go to a contender.

The day that Weaver says "get me the heck out of here" is the day we all better start worrying about the future of this organization. Trout might end up catching a ride with Weaver if that day happens.

Why in the world would he retire after his 33 y/o season?  If he pitches just the league average from now til the end of his contract he would easily get 4-5 years from some team.

Tough to call a certainty so far ahead, but his brother lasted till then. They eat up alot of innings in their 20's. You're set till you lose your command.

The day that Weaver says "get me the heck out of here" is the day we all better start worrying about the future of this organization. Trout might end up catching a ride with Weaver if that day happens.

Well if it came to a situation where they were to trade Weaver, the future would be looking terrible anyways.

I'm not advocating trading him but it wouldn't surprise me to see the team consider it if the Angels were bad again next year.

Never! 

I totally concur with this because to me he is an Angel for life. The only possible way I see the front office or Jered even thinking about doing this is if the Angels decided to completely reboot the team and Jered hasn't won a WS ring yet. That's about the only long shot scenario that I could see this idea ever being consummated.

It just seems incredibly unlikely he would ever be traded.

I imagine some will get their panties in a wad about this, but Rotographs isn't so optimistic about Jered.

That said, I don't think Weaver gets traded and plays out his entire career as an Angel. Even if the Angels are a complete mess this year and a fire-sale is warranted, I see Jered staying. He's the Chuck Finley of this era.

Oh wait, Chuck played his last few years elsewhere (unfortunately - I can't remember why the Angels didn't re-up him in 2000). Even so, I could see Jered playing out his contract and going year to year after that as the elder statesman. Even if Rotographs is right and he's done as a #1, even a #2, I could see him stabilizing at 3ish WAR, mid-3.00 ERA for the next five or six years and pitching into his late 30s, retiring with around 50 fWAR, edging out Chuck (45.6) and Nolan Ryan (43.8) for the highest all-time among Angels pitchers.