• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MWAH Top 30 Prospect Countdown

Clocking in at #23 RHP Elliot Morris - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-23-elliot-morris.html

Selected in the 4th round, large frame, good low 90's fastball, smooth delivery, decent control plus the ability to command his change up.  All very nice things.  I don't like his projection a ton because his curve ball neither has the bite or the command/control to be an effective pitch yet and from what I saw, it really isn't anywhere close yet.  He should head to Burlington next year, hopefully the scouting and coaching staff can help him find a more effective breaking ball.  If they do, he should be a solid #3/4 starter.  If not, AAA depth.  Definitely a starter, I don't see him in relief. 

Trevor Reckling was never a "top prospect" except on Angelswin among Angels fans. I always saw his potential as more like a #4, and that probably proved too optimistic. Hey, but we all have whiffs. I remember thinking that Mike Colangelo was going to be another Tony Gwynn.

Where do you have Borenstein, Scotty? #87? :P

Trevor Reckling was never a "top prospect" except on Angelswin among Angels fans. I always saw his potential as more like a #4, and that probably proved too optimistic. Hey, but we all have whiffs. I remember thinking that Mike Colangelo was going to be another Tony Gwynn.

no way dude.  Todd Greene and Kevin Flora. 

Mike Colangelo's career was destroyed by a bad managerial decision.  Had Williams not run him over in the OF and destroyed his shoulder, he likely has a very long run in the Angels OF.  I remember that game like it was yesterday, they each called for it -- Williams the CF pulled off too, so Colangelo started back then Williams did as well.  They rammed into each other at full speed - Mike was knocked out and diagnosed with a concussion and a torn thumb, it wasn't until ST that they found out he had also destroyed his labrum.

I don't think I've ever seen two guys guys run into each other as hard as they did live...  Worst part for me was watching Williams look, see Colangelo looking up, and still run in...   

F'n Collins.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Before I write about him elsewhere - I'm going on the record as being a huge Morris fan.

Looking forward to reading it Scott.  I like his polish, size, mechanics and fastball, I just don't see a lot from his secondary offerings.  Perhaps you do.  

AJ - Despite not being a fan of Zach's brother, I do think I've fairly graded Borenstein.  He's not in my Top 10, but is in my Top 15.  I know this would set his brother off, but it's honest to goodness what I see, which is an eventual major leaguer in some capacity.  

It's combination of ceiling and performance.  I've watched Borenstein just as I watched Calhoun.  Calhoun had me convinced since the first time I saw him.  It wasn't his power, it was how much of a pure leader he was.  He didn't care about anything other than going out and winning ball games.  He ran, he hit, he took the extra base, he rocketed throws to every base, he laid out, and yes, he hit for power.  

Zach, he looks like a ball player to me.  So strong.  But he doesn't run particularly well, he doesn't take that extra base, he doesn't sacrifice his body with the same reckless abandon, he doesn't have the same arm.  I watched him in the Midwest League and saw a player that wasn't exactly sure what he was trying to do at the plate.  In the Cal League, I saw a player with one thing on his mind, hitting the ball as hard and as far as he could.

He'll do enough to be a major leaguer, because he's good at making contact, because he has an idea of where the strike zone is and because he can hit the ball further than most. But I don't believe it will be such a quick and successful climb as Kole.  He isn't as complete of a player.  But he is awfully good at this game. 

Top Prospect #22 RHP Arjenis Fernandez - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-22-arjenis-fernandez.html

I like Fernandez for his upside but despite his ability to throw a strike, he has a ton of work to do.  He's quite a bit more raw than I anticipated when the Angels first signed him.  Still, 6'4, 210 lbs, low-mid 90's fastball and outstanding sliders all in one package, those don't grow on trees. 

Top Prospect #22 RHP Arjenis Fernandez - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-22-arjenis-fernandez.html

I like Fernandez for his upside but despite his ability to throw a strike, he has a ton of work to do.  He's quite a bit more raw than I anticipated when the Angels first signed him.  Still, 6'4, 210 lbs, low-mid 90's fastball and outstanding sliders all in one package, those don't grow on trees. 

This guy is puzzling.  92-93 with movement and a good slider.  Most guys with that usually do pretty well in rookie ball regardless of command. 

Does his stuff flatten out when it's up?  Is he tipping his pitches or show the ball too early?  Maybe he's in the zone too much and hitters are comfortable.  Something is off here.  HR rates that high for his level is just weird. 

Why is there such a large discrepancy between the results and the stuff? 

Nice write up btw. 

That, my friend, is why he only comes in at #22 on the list. The results don't match the stuff. The issue for now appears to be that he has a bit of Blanton-itis. He can consistently get the ball over the plate, but he can't hit his spots. He's over the middle and up in the zone. Even with good stuff, that is hard to get away with. If he ever figures it out though, watch out.

This guy is puzzling.  92-93 with movement and a good slider.  Most guys with that usually do pretty well in rookie ball regardless of command. 

Does his stuff flatten out when it's up?  Is he tipping his pitches or show the ball too early?  Maybe he's in the zone too much and hitters are comfortable.  Something is off here.  HR rates that high for his level is just weird. 

Nice write up btw. 

He doesn't have a clue how to pitch yet.  Everything he throws is down the middle -- everything.   This actually could bode well if he's trying to throw strikes and not just missing his spots but for now, he tends to stay dead red on everything.  He doesn't work down, or side to side with any of this stuff.   His fastball does tend to flatten out and elevate when he reaches his top end velocity, which is likely a sign of someone overthrowing to a degree.

To me he's a guy that's a release point away from really coming into his own.  He might also be a guy who would benefit from working backwards.  Few games I was able to watch of him I always knew when the FB was coming..... to be honest, I thought the guy catching him was a moron.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Top Prospect #12 RHP Key Middleton - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-21-keynan-middleton.html

Middleton's a bit deceiving.  Some fans via twitter were disappointed in his performance this past year, but I think their outlook was a bit off.  Don't look at him as a college prospect.  This is his first year focusing solely on baseball, before that the majority of his time was spent on the basketball court.  Instead, look at him as a high school prospect with a plus fastball, plus athleticism and plus breaking ball.  He's not a prospect that was expected to succeed right out of the gate.  He's learning how to pitch still and may need another full year in Rookie Ball before moving on to A Ball.  A pitcher with his sort of upside in the 3rd round is a risk worth taking.  

My fault gents, Key Middleton was #21.  Thanks for keeping on my toes, and thanks for reading.

Top Prospect #20 LHP Ricardo Sanchez

http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-20-ricardo-sanchez.html

The most information I could get was from someone who knows someone who saw him.  I'm not about to even pretend to know what Sanchez brings to the table.  But he's the highest profile signing the Angels have had in years in Latin America, so that has to count for something.  And if this means anything, the Angels usually don't spend a ton down there, they go for quantity over quality and hope they hit the jackpot on the one of the lower cost kids.  The Angels believed in Sanchez so much, not only as a pitcher but as a person, that they were willing to completely buck that trend.  

There has to be something here. 

Coming in at #19 RHP Michael Clevinger - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-19-michael-clevinger.html

I like Clevinger's stuff.  He actually possesses all the tools to be a good major league SP, which you'd think would get him ranked higher for us but due to injury he's slid down quite a few spots.  Low to mid-90's FB on a normal bases, very good slider, very good change up, good control, good command, good pitcher's frame and a good work ethic.  What remains to be seen is if he can come back to 100% after TJ surgery and if he does, can he stay off the DL?

If he pitches a full year and has a full recovery I have little doubt he finishes the year in AA Arkansas and lands in the Top 100 prospects.  If he struggles to shake off the rust he'll likely spend a full season in the Cal League and his status as a prospect will not have changed much.  If he can't stay on the mound, the Angels may convert him to relief, which would actually hurt his status as a prospect.  He really could go any direction from here. 

#18 RHP Austin Wood - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-18-austin-wood.html

Nothing you haven't heard before.  Big body, blazing fastball, good slurve/slider, good change up and an unfortunate case of the Nuke Laloosh syndrome.  When the ball is over the plate he's hard to hit, elite even.  But you never know when that'll be.  If anything, the fact that 2013 was a lost year for him may push him toward his true calling as a RP.  He'd be as good as Jordan Walden if not better in that role and wouldn't need much time in the minors. 

I don't blame you in the least bit AO.  If he can't stay healthy and keep the ball over the plate, that's his future anyway.  And speaking of hard throwers...

Top Prospect #17 RHP Reid Scoggins

http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-17-reid-scoggins.html

Scoggins makes the scout in me drool (along with Wood).  Scoggins doesn't have Wood's off-speed pitches but has an even better fastball and is quicker to make adjustments.  A lower ceiling than Wood but also a higher floor.  I think they'll keep Scoggins as a starter for as long as they can until he's forced to move to the pen (where most scouts like him anyway). 

#16 LHP Michael Roth - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-16-michael-roth.html

huge strides in just one year, tremendous collegiate success.  Most still doubt he'll end up being anything more than a LOOGY, but if he continues to get batters out he may end up being a Joe Saunders type.  

I would push Wood into a setup role STAT.   After 2 1/2 seasons in the org, it's clear that MLB starter isn't his calling at this point.

Maybe the control would improve by only having to pitch an inning or two each time? 

I'd give Wood at least one more year. If he can get things to click, he is a frontline starter and those are hard to find. High leverage relievers are almost a commodity at this point (although the Angels haven't even been able to produce one of those in awhile). I think this applies to a lot of the Angel pitching prospects. Scoggins, Wood and Sappington all seem like they are destined for the bullpen, but they have so little quality starting pitching talent, the Halos owe it to themselves to try and make it work with those three.