• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MWAH Top 30 Prospect Countdown

Andrew Ray put up very impressive numbers in A Ball, which isn't an easy environment.  But they were somewhat diminished because of the fact that his OBP was an even .300 and he's a couple years older than the rest of his competition.

As for Wood, as Garrett said, there is one thing the Angels have, and that is a TON of projectable late inning arms.  Alvarez, Morin, Bedrosian, and Alcantara.  What they don't have a ton of are quality SP prospects.  So guys like Scoggins, Wood and Sappington, whom scouts project into a bullpen are much better served in a starting role because if they develop properly, the Angels would have stumbled upon something special.

Also, really glad this guy's brother is no longer on this site.  He'd probably cry foul for my latest write up on his brother.

Top Prospect #15 - OF Zach Borenstein - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-15-zach-borenstein.html

I like Borenstein's build, power and ability to turn on a pitch.  I do however, think there's some refinement that needs to take place and that he isn't the greatest defensive OF and is heavy footed.  I wonder if the scout who told me that he'd like him as a 1B was onto something.  More than anything, I'm really curious to see what happens when he leaves the hitter friendly Cal League.  Will his numbers hold up in AA? 

I think he'll be a major leaguer someday. 

He's easily top 10 in the system. Not sure why some people are so down on him. Cron will be rated high, as he should. He's top 5 in my book, no question about it. He's got jaw-dropping power. But I really don't see that big of a gap between them. In fact, it could be argued that Borenstein is the better hitter. Numbers never tell the whole story. But they also don't lie. And Borenstein's numbers, even in the Cal League, stand out.

He was 63% better than the rest of the league.

Yarbrough was 8% better than the rest of the league.

Snyder was 15% better than the rest of the league.

Cowart was 9% better than the rest of the league in 2012.

Cron was 12% better than the rest of the league in 2012.

Grichuk was 9% better than the rest of the league in 2012.

Lindsey was 9% worse than the rest of the league in 2012.

Calhoun was 43% better than the rest of the league in 2010.

Trout was 16% better than the rest of the league in 2010.

Trumbo was 24% better than the rest of the league in 2008.

Bourjos was 1% better than the rest of the league in 2008.

Age is a factor here. But you'd think we would have learned from Calhoun not to underestimate a player like Borenstein. Am I missing something here?

Speaking for myself, I'm excited to see if he can take the next step. There aren't many hitters in our system worth getting excited about. I think Borenstein is one of them, even if his brother is a colossal douche like I've heard.

Edited by Llewyn Davis

hey scotty - where were you guys getting Roth's velocity at 91-93.  pitchfx has him maxing out at 91 and averaging around 88-89.  Anyway, I feel like he's one of those guys that will bounce back and forth between the big club and minor until he becomes a free agent and then he'll bounce around teams. 

I feel like Borenstein is the highest upside guy in our system right now.  Granted, AA will settle a lot of arguments and it wouldn't surprise me to see him completely flame out this year.  If he truly does have a big hole on the outer half of his swing then that could be a problem but we'll know very soon.  I think he and Lindsey as well as Scoggins, Wood, and Clevinger are our best shots at having a high ceiling guy or two that the system is missing. 

I was going off of Angels broadcasts for what he was doing in the majors and going off of gun readings from his AA games that I've been fortunate enough to acquire.  Arkansas had him sitting 89-91 and touching 92 a couple times a game.  The gun on the boradcasts for Angels games was reading 92-93 but I think he was likely amped. 

As for the highest upside guys in the system, Borenstein doesn't fit that description to me, and I say this with the caveat that I like him as a hitter and believe he'll be a major leaguer someday, but I just don't think his upside is anything more than a role player.  When I think of upside in our system, I think of Cowart, Cron, Rondon, Green, Clevinger, Wood/Scoggins and possibly Wesely/McGowin.

But that's the way these prospect lists go sometimes ya know?  Everyone's opinion is different.  Case in point, I'm quite a bit lower on Taylor Lindsey, the consensus top prospect.  I think his upside is .275 15 HR's and average defense which just isn't appealing to me.  I think Alex Yarbrough and Grant Green have greater upside.  Not necessarily saying they'll reach it.

I've been less than thrilled with Cron based on both what I've seen him do and what the numbers have shown us, but that interview with Fangraphs has me a bit more positive on him.  If indeed he's been trying to work back from the shoulder issue and if the reason he hasn't been pulling the ball is because he's made no effort to, I'm MUCH less concerned about his being over-matched.  The not trying to pull the ball thing makes me believe that Cron is a guy who is a hitting coach away from tapping into some of his potential.   The wonky plate discipline does worry me, but the stupidly good hand eye coordination and contact rate are good signs.

There is no player currently in the Angels system that could silence more critics or raise his stock more than Borenstein in my opinion.  Unlike other prospects where there is a hole in their games or an attribute they lack, most of the criticism aimed at Borenstein are based on factors he cannot really control -- his age, or the league he's played in.  If his numbers translate in AA, the Calhoun comparisons will likely come more often and people will start talking about him as being underrated.  My hope is that if he shows signs of life the first two months in AA that the Angels get aggressive and move him to AAA.

Not saying that ZB has the best upside, I just feel that he's one of those guys people want to like but don't want to feel stupid for liking if he turns out to be a Thomas Neal type of Cal League creation.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I sort of feel like no one's taken a measured look at him though.  He's such a polarizing prospect.  Either you see him and his stats and love him and can't believe others aren't seeing this or you see him and his splits and think he's nothing but a Cal League mirage.  

I'm doing my best to take a middle ground here with him.  His strength and power are undeniable and I think those are what will carry him to the top level.  But there are also a lot of little things he either isn't good at or is just unrefined at that I think will be exposed with higher competition.  When I saw saw Calhoun on the other hand, he was just so smooth.  He was good at everything.  Not in a Mike Trout sort of way but in a finished product, ready for the big leagues kind of a way.  

I sort of feel like no one's taken a measured look at him though.  He's such a polarizing prospect.  Either you see him and his stats and love him and can't believe others aren't seeing this or you see him and his splits and think he's nothing but a Cal League mirage.  

I'm doing my best to take a middle ground here with him.  His strength and power are undeniable and I think those are what will carry him to the top level.  But there are also a lot of little things he either isn't good at or is just unrefined at that I think will be exposed with higher competition.  When I saw saw Calhoun on the other hand, he was just so smooth.  He was good at everything.  Not in a Mike Trout sort of way but in a finished product, ready for the big leagues kind of a way.  

Calhoun was definitely a higher floor type, a guy who you could project to at least be able to milk walks and who had a shot of being a Matt Stairs kind of "professional hitter".  He had higher profile coaching in college and saw better competition being in the Pac-10 than ZB -- there was more of a book on KC..  The fact that he was a legit defender also gave him a bit an edge.  Borenstein meanwhile was from the Midwest, didn't play in the most glamorous of conferences and as such a lot less was known about him.  It's not a knock on ZB, but I think it's fair to say that Calhoun was a bit more of a known quantity and more advanced for for no other reason due to the plate discipline and possibly the coaching at ASU and Yavapai, a small school with a solid history of putting out MLB not unlike Grand Canyon Univ, also in AZ..... All I know is the Jewish Hammer has a lot more pop in his bat, and teams are starting to covet power more now that they can't just find it in their medicine chests.

If ZB makes it to the majors I'm going to bet he wins over a lot of people with his style of play.  He has that Gary Disarcina/Darin Erstad "ill run through a wall and break a few bones if I have to" approach to everything.  He strikes me as the sort of guy that will need to be dragged off the field kicking and screaming -- Angels fans have always taken a liking to those sorts.

Coming in at #14 SS Eric Stamets

http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-14-eric-stamets.html

Stamets is a personal favorite of mine.  He's the best fielding shortstop I've ever seen in the minors and has enough speed to carve out a nice role in the majors.  What's yet to be seen though is what role that will be.  Stamets will either be a utility infielder and pinch runner, sort of like a better version of Andrew Romine, or he'll be a starting shortstop that wins a bucket full of gold gloves and bats either leadoff or #9.  

Either way, he's going to be a valuable major leaguer. 

nice write up.  that's gonna be one hell of a left side of the infield defensively for the Travs this year.  Stamets timing could work out pretty well as advanced defensive metrics mature we could see his perceived value go up and up.  I really hope he tries to focus on his bb rate this year.  

Thanks Doc.  I'm really excited about what we're seeing in AA and AAA this next season.  Our entire future infield (Cron, Lindsey/Yarbrough, Stamets & Cowart) and bullpen (Morin, Alvarez and Bedrosian) will be in AA/AAA this next season.  

Coming in at #13, another prospect I'm excited about, Nat Delgado.  

http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-13-natanael-delgado.html

Normally you'd look at his and see just another raw Dominican prospect, but it's everything beneath the surface that sets him apart.  No time spent in the DSL, only 17 years old in the Arizona League, 9 BB in his final 22 games, hit for power & average and still has a ton of maturation left.  He could turn into a monster with time. 

I can definately see Delgado at Orem, given his improvement over the 3 months in Arizona in 2013.

Burlington is too fast and too much of a promotion for someone who will just be 18 for the entire 2014 season, even in having the apparent strong work ethic and willingness to learn.   

Maybe, just maybe, Delgado and Sanchez start a new strong presence in Latin America for the Halos.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

Delgado and Sanchez represent a willingness on the part of the Angels scouts in the area to spend money on players with higher projectability but are less of a sure thing.  Normally, this wouldn't be such a big deal, what with guys like Miguel Sano landing inordinate sums of money.  But the Angels approach the last 2-3 years has been to sign as many players as possible for as little money as possible to maintain at least some presence in the area.  It isn't a bad plan either, because many of the other teams will be too focused on other players or will miss some of these guys that sign with the Angels because they're in their price range.  

But Delgado and Sanchez are different in that the Angels thought they could've gone for more money and thus expanded beyond their comfort zone to land such a valuable prospect. 

Top Prospect #12 3B Luis Jimenez

http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-12-luis-jimenez.html

Jimenez really surprised a few folks with the glove last season and was never really given a fair shot at a starting spot.  This looks to be the case for 2014, the Angels went out and got David Freese.  Lucho will hit for average and play a very good 3B, but he lacks the over the fence type of power and OBP of a true corner infielder. But then again, he has those intangibles that you love to see, a charismatic speaker, true leader, cheerleader and a great clubhouse presence. 

I don't know if he'll ever be a full-time player in the big leagues, but if he does, I think he could end up being a .260/.310 35 DB 15 HR type of hitter with plus defense.  I'm rooting for him, and I don't think I've ever seen someone who enjoys being a professional baseball player more than Luis Jimenez. 

I really think he could but it really depends on team needs and assets.  Jimenez plays a very good 3B, has logged some practice at SS in case of emergency, has the skill set to play a passable 2B in certain situations, picked up 1B moderately well even though he doesn't have the body type.  I really think he should try his hand in LF as well just to create increased versatility. 

The issue is that utility players tend to be able to play SS and 2B and double as pinch runners.  Jimenez can run but wouldn't be expected to steal any bases.  He isn't a SS or 2B and doesn't have the power to be a power bat off the bench which would legitimize his role as a 3B/1B.  He's an interesting case.  

I think the best situation he could find himself in is with an organization that doesn't have any 3B depth and needs someone that can provide above replacement level production until the necessary Free Agents or prospects arrive.  Really, he would've been ideal for the Angels until Cowart was ready, but the team is built to win now and we have no idea if Cowart will ever be ready.   

If Staments is really as good as you say he is defensively, then he ought to have a solid major league career.  Andrelton Simmons was a 6.8 WAR player last year despite an OPS of .692 and an OBP of .296.  I realize that he is absurd defensively, but you make it sound as though Staments isn't that far off.  If Staments could play gold-glove defense and hit .240/.300/.350, he could still be a very valuable major league player.

If Staments is really as good as you say he is defensively, then he ought to have a solid major league career.  Andrelton Simmons was a 6.8 WAR player last year despite an OPS of .692 and an OBP of .296.  I realize that he is absurd defensively, but you make it sound as though Staments isn't that far off.  If Staments could play gold-glove defense and hit .240/.300/.350, he could still be a very valuable major league player.

Sounds like he's a lighter hitting, slower version of Bourjos in the infield.

Keep in mind that Simmons' DWAR was more of an outlier and is due for considerable regression.  He's still the best defensive shortstop in the major leagues bar none, but I'd except him to be a 3 WAR player on an annual basis.  Stamets has similar defensive abilities that just make you sit on the edge of your seat and laugh when he makes a play.  You're surprised but not entirely surprised because he's so amazing in the field.  Still, he has a long way to go with the bat.  If he ever earns his way into a starting role in the major leagues I think you'd see that his BA and speed would be on par with Simmons, but Simmons has better plate judgement and more power.  

And essentially, yes, Stamets is like a lighter hitting, slightly slower version of Bourjos in the infield.  But that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Bourjos' offensive value relative to his position is not nearly as great as it would be if he played a more shallow position in Major League Baseball like 2B, 3B or SS.  The fact that Stamets is an amazing defensive SS can suddenly make any offensive contribution he delivers icing on the cake.   

We've reached the Top 10!  #10 RHP Cam Bedrosian - http://www.monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014/2014-la-angels-prospects-10-cam-bedrosian.html

I love what I saw from Bedrosian this year.  You couldn't possibly fix everything that was wrong with him in one year, but helping him find the strike zone, the further development of his cutter and boosting his confidence in 2013 was a HUGE start.  I hope to see him in AA this next year, and the biggest thing I'll look for from him will be to start commanding his pitches within the zone. 

First round pick, mid-high 90's fastball, sharp cutter and a fall off the table slider, he really sounds a ton like Kevin Jepsen at this point.  Hopefully he'll be quite a bit more.