• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Masahiro Tanaka rumors: Japanese ace wants $17 million annually

gotbeer

I was going off of what Jeff Fletcher said which he shared here saying it was calculated on opening day.

You're confusing two things. The opening day reference was to Trout. If he signs a 2015 contract after 2014 had begun, it doesn't count.

But all money earned on 2014 contracts counts. For example, Raul Ibanez has a $2.75M base in 2014 but incentives can get it up to $5M. They won't know that figure till the year is over, and it will all count.

Award bonuses count too. That's why it's not calculated until December.

oh, are we still doing the "Paying a pitcher more than Weaver would be disrespectful to Jered" thing?

We were a year ago, which is why we didn't get Anabel Sanchez. They didn't want to pay him more than Weaver, which on the surface is about right, Weaver is much better... What they need to remember though is that Weaver took a hometown discount and I doubt he'd give a shit if a pitcher of quality made more money than him. 

We were a year ago, which is why we didn't get Anabel Sanchez. They didn't want to pay him more than Weaver, which on the surface is about right, Weaver is much better... What they need to remember though is that Weaver took a hometown discount and I doubt he'd give a shit if a pitcher of quality made more money than him. 

Anabel Sanchez is now a better pitcher than Weaver.

If they even consider bidding that high, Arte's first phone call should be to Jered Weaver.

Why?

You think Weaver is so selfish that he wouldn't be on board with paying a pitcher that gives him a better shot at a ring?

People on here have a low opinion of Weaver, apparently.

I have no idea what Fletch said, but the 2013 tax calculations were released in the last few weeks.  I believe the Yanks had to pay something like $30 million.  I've read through the CBA and the calculation is definitely a year-end calculation.  The commissioner releases the report on December 2 and the tax is calculated based on actual time played.

That's correct because they define a contract year as being from 12/2 thru 12/1 of the following year, which I assume is because they pay their players on the 1st of each month.

They'd have to wait until after the season since that's the 'only' way for them to determine 'final' payroll for any given season.

I love the justifications... if you going to compare him to Darvish, and/or pay him like Darvish he should pitch like Darvish.. he doesnt, end of comparison.

If this wasnt such a down market for pitching he wouldnt even be getting this much press in my opinion.

Sorry but that's just dumb reasoning.

He's in a completely different situation and inflation has driven the price up for every free agent. If Darvish had been coming over this offseason under the same circumstances, he would be commanding the same deal.

Darvish wasn't really a free agent under the old rules. He negotiated with one team and that was it. Tanaka gets to pick where he wants to play which means the price will be much higher.

Greinke's contract absolutely demolished Weaver's deal. 

I think a lot of you are overestimating arte. He has repearedly said and shown he will open the wallet for the guy he wants. And he wants tanaka.

Does that mean he gets him? Nope, not hardly. But those thinking arte will scoff at overpaying this guy bexause he's not a number 1 are wrong.

That said, the one absolute roadblock that will stop us from going full bore and outbidding for him is trout....trouts contract is the organizations top priority right now.

Starting pitching to win today is the 'teams' most important thing. But trout is the organizations. Arte won't risk losing trout to FA in 2018.

So as much as I'd lov to land tanaka, I completely understand going cheaper with a maholm if the money is being saved for trout.

As has already been mentioned, sanchez would have been the absolute better move last year. And the crap part is sanchez wanted to come here too...

Sorry but that's just dumb reasoning.

He's in a completely different situation and inflation has driven the price up for every free agent. If Darvish had been coming over this offseason under the same circumstances, he would be commanding the same deal.

Darvish wasn't really a free agent under the old rules. He negotiated with one team and that was it. Tanaka gets to pick where he wants to play which means the price will be much higher.

call it what you will that doesnt change the price that was paid for those services... free agent or not.

you can call it dumb all you want but i would argue paying more than darvish for less than dice-k is equally illogical... but thats me.

i hope we lose this one if the money is anywhere near that value

The biggest reason I believe they should sign him is the fact that many teams are locking up their good starters before free agency now.

Tanaka is young and has the upside to be our best pitcher in 2014. I fear that if they don't sign Tanaka, they'll overpay for Garza and will only be marginally better next year and in the future.

call it what you will that doesnt change the price that was paid for those services... free agent or not.

you can call it dumb all you want but i would argue paying more than darvish for less than dice-k is equally illogical... but thats me.

i hope we lose this one if the money is anywhere near that value

'cmon flop.  The circumstances have totally changed here.  the guy is basically a free agent.  The market sets the price.  It's up to the team to set the players value and whether that price is commensurate relative to potential future available players and the anticipated market.  What a player got 2 years ago under a completely different scenario is like comparing an old apple to a new orange.