• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Masahiro Tanaka rumors: Japanese ace wants $17 million annually

gotbeer

Masahiro Tanaka rumors: Japanese ace wants $17 million annually

So probably 6 @ $17 million.  Subtotal of $102 + $20 million posting.  so $122 million.

Darvish 6/$56 + $51 million posting.  Total $107 million.

Diaske 5/$52 + $51 million posting.  Total $103.

It's a bit of an overpay.  But still doable.

Edited by gotbeer

Masahiro Tanaka rumors: Japanese ace wants $17 million annually

So probably 6 @ $17 million.  Subtotal of $102 + $20 million posting.  so $122 million.

Darvish 6/$56 + $51 million posting.  Total $107 million.

Diaske 5/$52 + $51 million posting.  Total $103.

It's a bit of an overpay.  But still doable.

Boras will probably start by asking for 10 years.

Great, we all know how the Greinke negotiations went with the Angels last offseason. 

I'm betting Tanaka ends up with the Mariners. If not them, the Yankees. 

The Mariners have had a big following with the Japanese fan base and the players over there with Ichiro as an Mariner all those years. They also have Iwakuma so Tanaka wouldn't be the only guy on the team that speaks Japanese. He'd have someone to show him the ropes of what it's like living and playing in the United States. If not the Mariners, the Yankees. They have the money and they have Kuroda on the team as well. I see the Rangers and Dodgers as favorites over the Angels as well. The Rangers have Darvish (though they may not have any $$$ left after Choo and Fielder) and the Dodgers have both the money and a history of luring in Asian arms over the years. 

Guys seriously, move on. We're not getting Tanaka. You're setting yourselves up for a big disappointment if you're counting on him. I'm guessing even if we offer more money than the Mariners, Dodgers, Rangers or Yankees, he will choose to go to either of those four places if the money is close.

I'm betting that if the Yanks do sign him, it will be for $16-$17 mill the first year to keep them under $189 million.

As luck has it, that's EXACTLY how much the Yanks had left over since their signings earlier this month, at which point they shut down for some reason....go figure!

They'll give Tanaka more in 2015 and beyond.

It doesn't work that way. For CBT they take the average of the contract. So if they gave him $15 million the first year and $20 million the second year on a two year deal (this is just to explain it and not a guess of actual length of contract) the hit would be $17.5 million. So Albert's contract is roughly $25 million a season despite the fact that he's only getting about $16 million this past season.

I don't understand the complete lack of confidence in the Angels in this race.  The last time Dipoto publicly said he wanted a pitcher, he went and got him with a competitive offer.

Tanaka could be drawn to the OC due to living conditions, weather, pitcher's park, etc.  I'd give the Angels about a 20% chance here.

If not Tanaka, sign Capuano/Yoon/Baker and a reliever and move on.

I don't believe this report for a second. No experienced negotiator would make the first move by throwing out an annual dollar figure, especially one this seemingly reasonable. In fact I gaurantee that Close is telling teams to make their best offers, not saying "my client wants 17 mil per year."

I don't understand the complete lack of confidence in the Angels in this race.  The last time Dipoto publicly said he wanted a pitcher, he went and got him with a competitive offer.

Tanaka could be drawn to the OC due to living conditions, weather, pitcher's park, etc.  I'd give the Angels about a 20% chance here.

If not Tanaka, sign Capuano/Yoon/Baker and a reliever and move on.

I assume you're referring to CJ Wilson? He wanted Greinke.

I think the Angels have a, chance but I'd put their chances at about only 10%.

Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

the change in the posting fee doesnt change what the player should get... if Darvish wasnt worh more than 6/56 then this guy should get about 5/50 tops.  i would do 5/50 but the contract value should not be significantly higher than Darvish less than 2 years later for a lesser pitcher.

absolutely zero chance i would pay him more annual value than Darvish got... he will not be as good

This idea fails to understand that markets change.  Darvish had significantly less leverage in his negotiations -- he was only able to negotiate with one team.  Tanaka will be able to play suitors off each other.  The new posting system moved leverage from the Japanese team to the Japanese player.  It isn't a question of whether he will be as good as [insert pitcher name here], but a question of will he provide enough value.  So much changes in the market year to year that you can't compare contract values across years.  It just doesn't work.

The market sets the value.  Another player's contract from a different year, in completely different circumstances, does not set the value.

I assume you're referring to CJ Wilson? He wanted Greinke.

I think the Angels have a, chance but I'd put their chances at about only 10%.

Sure but Greinke was an Angel already.  Obviously he was going to try to resign Greinke.

Wilson was a free agent - Dipoto said 'I want him' super early in the process - and got him.

the change in the posting fee doesnt change what the player should get... if Darvish wasnt worh more than 6/56 then this guy should get about 5/50 tops.  i would do 5/50 but the contract value should not be significantly higher than Darvish less than 2 years later for a lesser pitcher.

What are you talking about? Of course it does.

Darvish could only negotiate with the Rangers, Tanaka can negotiate with EVERY big market ballclub.

Pretty sure it's calculated on opening day.

It's actually an end-of-season calculation using AAV (as you pointed out) of each player's contract pro-rated for the amount time spent on each team.  So if the Angels traded a player mid-year, the cap wouldn't be "dinged" for the player's entire salary, just that portion that the Angels actually paid.