• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Masahiro Tanaka rumors: Japanese ace wants $17 million annually

gotbeer

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again.  If the Angels believe this guy is as good as people say he is:

Offer Tanaka 7/126 with an opt out clause after his 5th season.  If that isn't good enough for him, let him sign somewhere else.

Let's face facts, if this guy ends up being as good as people say he is, he will be the Angels ace by the end of 2014.

All that said, I'd prefer the Angels to sign Garza for 5/70 - 5/75.  Much less money.  Still a good pitcher.

Edited by Jim B

I was going off of what Jeff Fletcher said which he shared here saying it was calculated on opening day.

I have no idea what Fletch said, but the 2013 tax calculations were released in the last few weeks.  I believe the Yanks had to pay something like $30 million.  I've read through the CBA and the calculation is definitely a year-end calculation.  The commissioner releases the report on December 2 and the tax is calculated based on actual time played.

Here's the language:

If a Uniform Player’s Contract is assigned

by any means to another Major League Club, the assignor Club

shall be allocated Salary through the date of the assignment and

Salary shall begin being allocated to the assignee Club on the following

day, regardless of the Player’s reporting date.

It would be great to add Tanaka I hope the Angels give their best offer possible to do so. I think at the end of the day it is going to be up to the player and his desire for team and area that best suits him. Arte needs to bromance him like he did to Pujols.

the change in the posting fee doesnt change what the player should get... if Darvish wasnt worh more than 6/56 then this guy should get about 5/50 tops. i would do 5/50 but the contract value should not be significantly higher than Darvish less than 2 years later for a lesser pitcher.

Out of touch with reality...

I was going off of what Jeff Fletcher said which he shared here saying it was calculated on opening day.

Fletcher was talking about contracts. The CBT is calculated at the end of the season based on contracts signed before opening day. If a contract is signed after opening day and doesn't change the $ for this year then the AAV is calculated in the following year. That is how the Angels can extend Trout in April or May and not pay till 2015.

the change in the posting fee doesnt change what the player should get... if Darvish wasnt worh more than 6/56 then this guy should get about 5/50 tops.  i would do 5/50 but the contract value should not be significantly higher than Darvish less than 2 years later for a lesser pitcher.

Yes it does. Darvish situation and Tanaka's situation are completely different

Seriously though, I'm surprised that there's a statement about how much he wants. That seems to, if anything, limit the upward limit of bidding a bit. If teams know he'll take $17MM the bidding will start lower.

That said, I still expect 6+ years and a total, with the feel, of $20-25MM a year. For some reason $23MM per sounds probably, so maybe 6/$120MM + $20MM.

Great, we all know how the Greinke negotiations went with the Angels last offseason. 

I'm betting Tanaka ends up with the Mariners. If not them, the Yankees. 

The Mariners have had a big following with the Japanese fan base and the players over there with Ichiro as an Mariner all those years. They also have Iwakuma so Tanaka wouldn't be the only guy on the team that speaks Japanese. He'd have someone to show him the ropes of what it's like living and playing in the United States. If not the Mariners, the Yankees. They have the money and they have Kuroda on the team as well. I see the Rangers and Dodgers as favorites over the Angels as well. The Rangers have Darvish (though they may not have any $$$ left after Choo and Fielder) and the Dodgers have both the money and a history of luring in Asian arms over the years. 

Guys seriously, move on. We're not getting Tanaka. You're setting yourselves up for a big disappointment if you're counting on him. I'm guessing even if we offer more money than the Mariners, Dodgers, Rangers or Yankees, he will choose to go to either of those four places if the money is close.

You forget who we have Chuck?!?! Trout-a-mania baby! :P

I agree our odds are probably a long-shot here but if we were brave and jumped it up to an 8-year contract it might make it work. Beyond that it is a real crapshoot.

the change in the posting fee doesnt change what the player should get... if Darvish wasnt worh more than 6/56 then this guy should get about 5/50 tops.  i would do 5/50 but the contract value should not be significantly higher than Darvish less than 2 years later for a lesser pitcher.

LOL, you are aware the going rate for pitching is much higher than it was two years ago? Plus, there's more than one team trying to negotiate with Tanaka.

Edited by ispy45

I also agree that Seattle or Texas could be attractive options with their Japanese pitchers. I know that if I was going to Japan, the presence of another American on a team would be a big factor. Just not sure Texas or Seattle has the money to make it happen.

I would begin auditioning Hookers who speak Japanese. But "It's not my money".

I would begin auditioning Hookers who speak Japanese. But "It's not my money".

I think it's a little premature (so to speak) to assume that Tanaka wants only Japanese hookers ELEVEN. I'm sure he will use this new American experience to "broad"en his horizons.

Seriously though, I'm surprised that there's a statement about how much he wants. That seems to, if anything, limit the upward limit of bidding a bit. If teams know he'll take $17MM the bidding will start lower.

It may not matter much where it starts, once the feeding frenzy is underway.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I think it's a little premature (so to speak) to assume that Tanaka wants only Japanese hookers ELEVEN. I'm sure he will use this new American experience to "broad"en his horizons.

Wasn't assuming that. Japanese SPEAKING hookers. You know.. for tour guides.

Edited by ELEVEN

Tanaka is used to throwing a lot of pitches and a lot of innings.  What scares me about that is I can see Sosh trying to limit his workload if they're lucky enough to sign him.

Messing with a pitcher's routine and overall workload is when injuries tend to happen.  They'd have to completely ignore pitch count with this kid.