• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ellsbury closes deal with Yankees at 7yrs/$153mil

Richard

Cano to the M's rumor?? LOL!!

I'd love to see Cano sign with the M's (chances of that are probably less than nil).

For were Cano to sign with the M's -- he would likely follow in the path of almost every high priced big F/A signing the M's have made over the last decade plus --

a complete career dive as a total bust in Seattle.

Look at the players they've signed and how they've flopped. 

the only F/A (and this guy is really in a different category as a F/A) who really worked out for them was Ichiro and his F/A situation was a different situation when he came over from Japan.

But if Cano winds up in Seattle he could follow guys like Beltre, Figgins, and others went to Seattle and just bombed.  (Jeff Weaver got a big pay day up there for not much production).

pretty much the exact same can be said about the angels

Ellsbury's total WAR for his career: 21.0

Trout's total WAR for all 2 years of his:  20.8

At this rate if Trout actually makes it to free agency he's going to cost a billion dollars.

Dan Szymborski ran a projection based on Trout being a FA today in the wake of the Ellsbury signing, and came up with 7/338.

He would definitely get more than 7 years(that was apparently just because he was looking at 7 years because of Ellsbury), but that is more than 40 million AAV. Jesus.

Edited by jshep

Cano to the M's rumor?? LOL!!

I'd love to see Cano sign with the M's (chances of that are probably less than nil).

For were Cano to sign with the M's -- he would likely follow in the path of almost every high priced big F/A signing the M's have made over the last decade plus --

a complete career dive as a total bust in Seattle.

Look at the players they've signed and how they've flopped. 

the only F/A (and this guy is really in a different category as a F/A) who really worked out for them was Ichiro and his F/A situation was a different situation when he came over from Japan.

But if Cano winds up in Seattle he could follow guys like Beltre, Figgins, and others went to Seattle and just bombed.  (Jeff Weaver got a big pay day up there for not much production).

I'd be wary of boasting about other team's busts when you have Grandpa Pujols signed until 2030 and he hasn't lived up to much. 

Same with Hamilton.

As a Mariner fan ... I don't want to see Cano at 200M on the M's really either though. I did want Ellsbury ... but jesus ... that is an awful lot to pay for a player of his caliber. He isn't going to hit 32 HRs anytime soon again ...

A source tells Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter) that the Yankees not only believe they've got room for Ellsbury and Robinson Cano or Shin-Soo Choo, they still plan on signing at least one starting pitcher as well.

Passan (on Twitter) crunched the numbers to find that of the $524MM spent on free agents (as of Tuesday night), the Yankees account for $238MM of it, or 45.4%.

Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

The injury concern is the biggest issue with the deal.

He was rated the best baserunner and 4th best defensive center fielder last year and is a career above average hitter. I think the deal is just fine personally. 

For a minute I thought you were going to talk about Peter Bourjos...

just more polish for the turd in the Bronx.

He'll be pretty good for 3 years, but its the last 4 that will be a killer.  Still, way over-payed for his skill sets and career numbers. 

And, as long as the Yankees pitching (especially starting) isnt improved, this and the Cano signing isnt enough.  Pitching wins the post-season and they dont have any (CC seems to be in sharp decline).

Also, I assume they also believe that A-Roid will be suspended for the entire year.

I don't doubt that he'll hit, I question his ablity to stay healthy over of the life of the deal.

Absolutely. He hasn't put together back to back healthy seasons since 2008-2009. 

I don't think the Yankees know what they'll get either. The short porch in right should absolutely help him. If his FB% jumps back up to the mid 30% range like it was in 2011, he can easily put up a 20 HR season there. Obviously, he's not going to have a 16.7 HR/FB rate like he did in 2011 but a slight increase in fly balls will benefit Ellsbury greatly. 

I don't love any long term deal anymore, especially with the injury issues Ellsbury has had. I don't think it's a completely awful deal either though. If he averages 3-4 WAR a season for a few years, then starts to regress, he should come close to providing enough value to make this deal ok. 

Well, I got cried in the parking lot at tonight's Ducks vs Kings game when I heard the news. I knew he was going to go but I didn't want it to be for the Yankees. Oh well. He'll hopefully get a higher HR total thanks to right field. Him and Gardner are definitely going to be a thorn in the side of any pitcher. Bye bye, Granderson. Hopefully this brings Cano some realization that he probably won't get the money he wants. And I knew the BS of the Yankees staying under the tax were ahead of themselves.

Well, I got cried in the parking lot at tonight's Ducks vs Kings game when I heard the news. I knew he was going to go but I didn't want it to be for the Yankees. Oh well. He'll hopefully get a higher HR total thanks to right field. Him and Gardner are definitely going to be a thorn in the side of any pitcher. Bye bye, Granderson. Hopefully this brings Cano some realization that he probably won't get the money he wants. And I knew the BS of the Yankees staying under the tax were ahead of themselves.

There's no crying in baseball!