• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rumor only: Indians acquire Trumbo for Kluber?

Scott34

I wish we had a realistic General Manager simulator that we could see how all of us keyboard commandos would actually do. Of course it wouldn't take into account actual interpersonal and work pressures, but at least the decisions.

As said in the thread, I would have made this trade, but there are a couple doozies in the past that I was wrong about. I think I was one of the folks who didn't want to send that package of Kendrick, Wood, Mathis and Adenhart to Florida for Miguel Cabrera because Howie was a future batting champion and Wood was going to be a perennial 30 HR hitter. Man oh man.

Someone needs to invent some hindsight glasses.

For the record, I liked the idea of acquiring Kluber in the off-season.

But I'm happy with the trade that did happen, forearm tightness notwithstanding.

It's just weird that Skaggs got hurt and went on an extended DL stint for the first time as a pro after being traded back here.

It keeps with this franchise's not so lucky history though.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sports Fix ‏@TheSportsFixCle 2h

HOT OFF THE WIRE #indians #Angels have trade in place, Kluber + 2 prospects for Trumbo.pending prospect approval, deal could happen by Mon.

Doesn't seem too legit but perhaps

I wish this actually happened. Kluber has been a STUD this season. Not that I don't like the return we got for Trumbo, Skaggs is a bright young hurler and Santiago has been great for us, of late. Hell, at one point the rumors had us getting Carrasco and Kluber which could have been a MUCH better return than Skaggs/Santiago. Carrasco has realized his stuff and his fastball is registering in the high 90's now, and Kluber is in the Cy Young conversation, already eclipsing 200 K's, with a sub 3.00 ERA for the Indians.

• 2 months later...

I'm disagreeing with a majority of the posters here AO and stating that Kluber would be a great trade for Trumbo. His cutter was strong in 2013 and he made some real improvements to his repetoire. Here are some links to read:

Two-seamer running in-out: http://www.fangraphs.com/not/corey-klubers-best-pitch-from-saturday-in-terms-of-splendor/

Discussion of his pitch repetoire including the two-seamer which he only started throwing over the last 1 1/2 years: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-corey-klubers-repertoire-a-brief-history/

I should be like a GM or something. :P

I love the bitching about bumping this thread. It's all fun and games until you're the idiot.

It's still fun regardless. 

One thing I realized about some of the stuff I mentioned in this and other threads is that I have been a big proponent of giving Shoemaker a chance for quite a while yet when I heard of this potential trade a poo pooed it.  Oh the irony.  

It also reminds me that even though baseball people have every tool possible available to them, they just miss shit.  

This thread just haaaaaad to get bumped the second Kluber won the Cy Young. Like clockwork, every time.

Admittedly, I enjoy the bitching, pessimism, and oblivious 20/20 hindsight vision, armchair GMs, statisticians—just all around baseball scientists up in this delusional forum. I personally enjoy the relentless group of old farts who bitch about other people bitching. It makes this place great.

Edited by failos

This thread just haaaaaad to get bumped the second Kluber won the Cy Young. Like clockwork, every time.

Admittedly, I enjoy the bitching, pessimism, and oblivious 20/20 hindsight vision, armchair GMs, statisticians—just all around baseball scientists up in this delusional forum. I personally enjoy the relentless group of old farts who bitch about other people bitching. It makes this place great.

either that or most of us don't take shit that seriously.  

I wouldn't mind getting kluber, he was actually pretty effective last season in a couple a hitters ballpark. He's young and could improve and we would have team control for several seasons. Him plus a midrange prospect for trumbo would be a decent the trade imo

*pats self on back*

*strokes self in front of a miror*

*self likes post*

Damn, Trumbo coulda netted a Cy Young?

No, I think the irony here is that most people thought "no way," predictably over-valuing a mediocre Angel. If you look at Kluber's numbers in 2013, before this theoretical trade, he was actually quite good - and certainly more valuable than Trumbo, which is why some of us thought it was a good trade. 3.85 ERA, 33 walks and 136 Ks in 147.1 innings.

Of course absolutely no one (except maybe Kluber's mom) predicted he would win the Cy Young in 2014, but he was definitely at least Trumbo's equal in trade value and the point is that I don't think it was Dipoto who nixed this trade, but Cleveland.

Edited by Angelsjunky

No, I think the irony here is that most people thought "no way," predictably over-valuing a mediocre Angel. If you look at Kluber's numbers in 2013, before this theoretical trade, he was actually quite good - and certainly more valuable than Trumbo, which is why some of us thought it was a good trade. 3.85 ERA, 33 walks and 136 Ks in 147.1 innings.

Of course absolutely no one (except maybe Kluber's mom) predicted he would win the Cy Young in 2014, but he was definitely at least Trumbo's equal in trade value and the point is that I don't think it was Dipoto who nixed this trade, but Cleveland.

That or perhaps they never even had trade talks involving Trumbo/Kluber. The source was from some small radio show in Cleveland. Don't remember anybody else picking up on it at all