• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

My dream scenario

Stradling

Jays trade package mentioned above: Iannetta (5), Kendrick (9), Blanton (8) for Mark Buehrle (19), Sergio Santos (4), and Izturis (3).

They could also throw in a prospect like CJ Cron to make it happen. What that does is give the Jays a C and 2B plus a salary dump in Blanton and we take back 27 M in Salaries for 2014 plus the same amount in 2015.

The Jays do owe us one for the Wells deal.

Some Royals writer on SB Nation posted this trade. Thoughts?

LAA trades 2B Howie Kendrick and P Daniel Tillman to KCR for P Danny Duffy, P Aaron Crow, P Wade Davis, and P Michael Mariot

Hell yeah I'd do that but why would they want Tillman? I actually heard he might retire.

Hell yeah I'd do that but why would they want Tillman? I actually heard he might retire.

What caused Tillman to fall off so much after the first half of 2012?

His ERA was solid through the first half of 2012, and then it exploded when he was promoted to AA.

His control was starting to go south in 2011 (32 BBs in 66 innings in low-A).

Same thing that happened to Reckling?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Tanaka first.  If this doesnt happen, then it could go all over the place.  But for ideal, Tanaka.  $70 million post/5+2 total of $70 million contract.  Competitive Balance hit, $10 million a year.

Buerhle.  They showed interest in Iannetta.  He is owed $37 million over the next two years.  Caveat is that the Marlins are paying about $6 million of it.  So $31 million.  They finished in last place in their division last year, when they should have competed for first.  Also, their payroll was $36 million more than the previous year, and they already have $120 million committed to 2014.  Yes, you read that right, $120 million, which is already $1 million more than 2013.  IMO, they will be sellers this offseason.  A package of Iannetta and Hanson for Buerhle, and we take on the entire salary.  I would say Blanton, but they won't want him, but may want to take a chance on 2 years of Hanson to see if he can rebound to form.  This would save the Jays about $17 million over 2 years.  They could just cut Hanson and save even more.  For the Angels, you may say how can we take on all this salary without going over the cap.  Buerhle would cost $15 million next season.  Vargas would have cost $14.1 million.  Subtract Iannetta and Hanson, and that is a cap savings on about $8 million.  So Buerhle would net an increase of $7 million, half of what Vargas would cost us.  

Combination Tanaka and Buerhle $17 million compeititive balance tax.  Starting rotation of Weaver, CJ, Tanaka, Buerhle, Richards.

Bullpen. 

Everyone may be focused on tanaka, and forget to bid on Yamaguchi.  He's a 27 year old lefty setup man for the Yomiuri Giants.  Or in other words the Japanese version of the New York Yankees.  $12 million bid.  4 years/$12 million.  competitive Balance Tax hit of $3 million.

Frieri.  Reason why I put him in here is people seem intent that we need a closer.  Frieri was 11th in the league in saves last season with 4 blown saves.  The leader in saves at 50 last season had 10 blown saves.  The lowest in blown saves in the top 11 was 3.  I think people on this board focus too much on the blown saves, when every closer does it.  He will be fine in this role.

So with that acquisition, you have in your pen.

Frieri

Yamaguchi

Burnett - he will be a question mark, but hopefully will be ready.

De La Rosa

Jepsen

Williams

Blanton

Blanton.  We can't give him away, no one will take him.  He did show some use as a long reliever towards the end.  So garbage time, we bring him in.  

Williams.  He showed that he could go those 2 innings and shut teams down.  And he showed that he could start if needed.  He will be an important part of the team next season.  

Maybe get another reliever for Jepsen.  But I don't know if the team is ready to give up on him yet.  

Best deal is to somehow get David Price from the Rays (But that may be tough)

And then re-sign Vargas.

Would anyone be in favor of an Izturis return in a package from the Jays?

Ianetta for Izzy + Arencibia?

Then Aybar would be expendable: 

Aybar for Jaime Garcia and Keith Butler

Arencibia would be a decent backup and the Blue Jays might just look to dump him. I assume he's a streaky hitter based on his numbers, so play him more if he gets hot. He's bad defensively because for some reason he tries to throw from his knees. Sosh would have none of that

Edited by SigBaby

Exactly, so why deal an Aybar for a guy you could probably have for just ~ 5M? :D

I'd MUCH rather have Arroyo than Lynn. A cheap, average SP who'll cost nothing but 5Mish instead of a cheap, average SP who'll cost Aybar. Lynn might have more upside but I can't being myself to get over those road splits.

Arencibia would be a decent backup and the Blue Jays might just look to dump him. I assume he's a streaky hitter based on his numbers, so play him more if he gets hot. He's bad defensively because for some reason he tries to throw from his knees. Sosh would have none of that

He's actually rated as a plus defender the past 2 years but he's had his issues throwing out runners like you said. 

My issue is the .237 OBP, 3.6% BB rate and 29.8% K rate he posted last year.

With that being said, he's probably due for a rebound with that .213 BABIP. .240/.280/.420 is probably a reasonable expectation from him. 

For whatever reason, when I see Lance Lynn, the name Kent Bottomfield cries out.

Younger than Bottomfield was in 2000, but like Bottomfield, too prone to big scoring games.

No thank you!   The Cardinals fleeced us once already (Edmonds trade before 2000).

Edited by Angel Oracle

For whatever reason, when I see Lance Lynn, the name Kent Bottomfield cries out.

Younger than Bottomfield was in 2000, but like Bottomfield, too prone to big scoring games.

No thank you! The Cardinals fleeced us once already (Edmonds trade before 2000).

Dude, you totally forgot about the 2006 Jeff Weaver trade. The move sparked the Red Birds to the postseason. Jeff had a 2.43 ERA in the postseason and thanks to his clutch, gritty game 5 performance was a key component to their World Series trophy.

What did Terry Evans ever do for us?

Kennedy was good in 2002, BUT look at what Edmonds did for St. L.

Plus, after 2002, Kennedy was a decent/solid 2B and that's it.

We should have gotten a third player in that trade, given how Bottomfield imploded after the 1999 ASB and Kennedy was a rookie.   The fact that we fell for one half of a good season from Bottomfield was embarrassing.   Yeah, he won 18 games in 1999, but his overall WHIP was 1.50 and he disappeared totally after the ASB with something like a meager 3 wins.

YoT's point is well taken too, granted what older Weave did for St. L. was a huge surprise as he sucked for the Halos.   If only we could ever have a Dave Duncan clone for pitching coach.   We came close with Bud Black.    Sorry, but Butcher ain't it. 

Edited by Angel Oracle