• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Obamacare/Trumpcare Horror Stories

6 hours ago, red321 said:

My bad...apparently halobo is a fucking bad ass who builds and manages everything himself

Nah. He's just probably not a pussy who relies on the Nanny-State to take care of every problem he encounters. Or maybe he just doesn't like the government taking his money. Can you blame him?

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Blarg said:

If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor.

Until the FBI finds that cabin in the woods you stashed him in.

Instead of $2,500 less as Obama promised, I'm paying $4,692 more per year than I did before his "affordable care act".

So that's a $7,192 lie.

Can't wait until I get my 16% rate hike notice for 2017.

26 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Instead of $2,500 less as Obama promised, I'm paying $4,692 more per year than I did before his "affordable care act".

So that's a $7,192 lie.

Don't worry, Hillary will make it all better.  Or was that Trump.  Or was that Big Meteor.  I think it was Big Meteor.  At least with Trump there is a chance it might change.  With Hillary, it will be business as usual.

DOJ is going to file suits to block the Anthem/Cigna and Aetna/Humana mergers.  Rumor is that Anthem/Cigna will probably just walk away from the deal because the two companies are not getting along well anyway.

Aetna/Humana will try to settle and if not they will likely fight it in court.

United did go through with their threat and withdrew from most of the Indiv On Exchange plans, the Exchange will now renew those people into other issuers plans automatically which I am sure will be smooth.

15 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

So that's a $7,192 lie.

eatyourpeas.png

At least I got my free colonoscopy, thanks to Obamacare, so there's that.

They didn't find anything wrong, which is even better.

I would have to say that's one of the good features of the plan. The free screenings every ten years may find a certain number of cancers early and save a lot more money treating it when it's more advanced and causing symptoms. I can see that argument, but why mandate it for everyone? The vast majority of people will not have cancer, but the procedure costs a couple thousand dollars. Why not do it the old way, giving people the choice to shoulder some of that cost with a co-pay? Even two hundred dollars is affordable for most people, and nationwide this would help to lower insurance costs. No, they had to make all preventive care absolutely free. This is a very expensive feature of the plan for the companies, and one of the reasons perhaps for the skyrocketing premiums.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the argument against opening up the health care insurance market, and allowing companies to sell across state lines? I am sure there must be a counterpoint to this, but I have yet to hear it.

In NJ, we had the highest average auto insurance premiums in the country for a long time. When they changed the regulations, and allowed us to purchase auto insurance in a free market system, our rates dropped significantly.

11 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

What is the argument against opening up the health care insurance market, and allowing companies to sell across state lines? I am sure there must be a counterpoint to this, but I have yet to hear it.

In NJ, we had the highest average auto insurance premiums in the country for a long time. When they changed the regulations, and allowed us to purchase auto insurance in a free market system, our rates dropped significantly.

It is all on the states.  NJ health insurance is high because NJ has the most health insurance mandates in the country.  The State DOIs have to approve all rates that are submitted and plans that are submitted before they can be sold.

So it isn't that you can't buy a plan from another state, it is that plans in other states don't meet the requirements set by the state of New Jersey.

The other thing is all insurance companies have networks, essentially contracts with doctors, it is the other major part of the cost of a plan.  If the network is narrow and only includes some medical groups that the insurance company gets favorable prices with then the cost of the plan will be cheaper.  If it is a broad network and say doesn't have as many in network restrictions, or it exists in an area where there are no favorable contract rates, the cost of the plan will be more.  Also consider the cost of real estate.  Northern NJ is very expensive real estate wise, that gets calculated in the cost of care and the cost of the rates.

Thank you for the explanation, but I know this problem is not exclusive to NJ. We deal with clients throughout the Northeast, and when their insurance is up for renewal, they ask our advice on where to turn. When we do suggest companies that we have worked well with in the past, they usually tell me that they cannot get that in their state.

I remember McCain and Romney both talking about doing this when they were campaigning, but it never seemed to gain traction.

Can it be done?

All states would have to adopt the same mandates or they would need to allow residents to buy plans with less than the state required mandates.  This was actually possible before ACA when purchasing individual plans.  Not anymore.

The other part about care costing more where they live will never change but that isn't any different than car insurance being more based on where you live because of higher incidents of traffic accidents or theft.

5 minutes ago, nate said:

All states would have to adopt the same mandates or they would need to allow residents to buy plans with less than the state required mandates.  This was actually possible before ACA when purchasing individual plans.  Not anymore.

The other part about care costing more where they live will never change but that isn't any different than car insurance being more based on where you live because of higher incidents of traffic accidents or theft.

So if/when ObamaCare collapses, these mandates should go with it?

To your point, I would think that if these mandates overruled any state imposed mandates, any replacement for ObamaCare could make it so that state imposed mandates are invalid.

Yeah I think ACA just closed a loophole that allowed people to get plans below state imposed mandates as long as they were previously covered in a plan that was below those state imposed mandates.  Like a really liberal grandfathered law that ACA eliminated.

In order for it to happen now it would probably be the states that would have to allow it since state law overrides federal law.