• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AL ROY race

Troutipoo27

Wil Myers

G 78 AB 298

R 41 H 87

2B 18 3B 0

HR 13 RBI 49

BA .292 OBP .354

SLG .483 OPS .837

BB 30 SO 79

SB 5 CS 2

JB Shuck

G 121 AB 413

R 56 H 121

2B 20 3B 3

HR 2 RBI 39

BA .293 OBP .331

SLG .370 OPS .701

BB 26 SO 49

SB 7 CS 4

Kole Calhoun

G 49 AB 163

R 25 H 48

2B 7 3B 1

HR 7 RBI 30

BA .294 OBP .357

SLG .479 OPS .836

BB 17 SO 34

SB 1 CS 1

Jose Iglesias

G 105 AB 342

R 39 H 106

2B 16 3B 2

HR 3 RBI 29

BA .310 OBP .357

SLG .395 OPS .752

BB 15 SO 59

SB 5 CS 2

Chris Archer

G 21 GS 21

IP 122.0 W 9

L 7 ERA 3.02

Sv 0 Hld 0

SO 90 BB 35

K/9 7 BAA .219

Dan Straily

G 26 GS 26

IP 145.2 W 10

L 7 ERA 4.08

Sv 0 Hld 0

SO 119 BB 55

K/9 7 BAA .230

Brad Miller

G 69 AB 281

R 35 H 73

2B 10 3B 6

HR 6 RBI 31

BA .260 OBP .314

SLG .402 OPS .716

BB 22 SO 45

SB 5 CS 3

Again the writers don't watch angel baseball. Shuck has played a lot better than anyone thought he would this year. I like him a lot as a fourth or fifth OF. But I bet he gets left off of a lot of ballots even if they allow three or four votes. I seem to remember however that ROY voting is only for top rookie not top five rookies. In that case he will probably have zero votes.

Here's the rookie leader boards sorted by WAR:

Position Players

Pitchers

I think Myers (2.2) gets it and deserves it. Lough has been equally as good (2.1) but much of his value comes from defense, which writers don't notice as much unless you're Ozzie Smith. I'd guess Iglesias could vie for the award.

Calhoun's fifth among position players (1.2) despite only playing in 49 games (so far).

Shuck's all the way down at 12th (0.3), even after Luis Jimenez (8th, 0.7). He's pretty much the definition of "replacement player."  It remains to be seen whether his .290+ BA is sustainable; even if it is, its his own plus skill. I suppose he's got above average speed but he doesn't utilize it well.

Myers has a .292/.354/.483 slash line and his wRC+ is 31st in the league and ahead of guys like Yadier. 

Archer will probably finish 2nd.

I appreciate what Shuck has done considering he wasn't expected to do much but he's a replacement level player. Yes, his average is good but his OBP isn't too high for a guy whose been leading off, has a low SLG%, isn't a great baserunner even with his speed, and has been average defensively. 

I will say this for Shuck, even though the metrics may not totally agree. He seems to have improved his fielding since the beginning of the season. It was an adventure back then.

He has also been pretty consistent at the plate.

But in the long run, he's either a best fit being traded to a team who needs an OBP oriented starting LF, or as the 4th OF here.

He does seem to have some Eckstein in how he plays.

JB Shuck would be a candidate for worst career ever by a ROY winner - or at least up there with Pat Listach, Bobby Crosby, Chris Coghlan, Jerome Walton, etc. Actually, its amazing how many ROY winners turned out to be mediocrities.

It has a lot to do with the low threshold for rookie eligibility. Most guys lose their eligibility and never get a shot at rookie of the year. Even Trout just barely made it in last year. Calhoun is probably 150+ Ab's shy of being able to get into the discussion, but his rookie status is long gone.

Will Myers will likely win it.

the A's starter Straily is probably second. He's had a pretty good second half to lead the A's to the Division title.

Calhoun gets nixed at a real chance at a ROY award because he came up so late and then platooned.

If Calhoun doesn't get called up this year, he'd be an almost Trout like candidate for ROY next year -- he now he's played more games and has more ABs so his ROY qualifying year is this year.

Meanwhile he has some competition from a fellow teammate (Aw Shucks) which usually dooms any legitimate chance when two player from the same team split votes.

Here, it doesn't matter, because Myers is pretty much going to run away with it and any votes he doesn't get (or if East Coast voters on this have even paid attention to Straily's late run here, a big IF), he will get whatever votes Myers doesn't get which won't be many.

How about Cowgill for next year?

didn't realize that about Cowgill -- have liked what I've seen including that shot just now off Saunders almost dead center field........

oh well.

This must be Cowgill's third year of September call up time, then.......that's why I may not remember much about him.........not much there to watch in September for the Halos the past couple of seasons.

Given equal at-bats, Calhoun and Myers are so close it would come down to defense. I don't really know how to analyze defensive metrics and I haven't really watched Myers play, but based on the easy to read stats like outfield assists, putouts, and errors, it wouls seem Calhoun is the more exciting player on the field, for better or for worse. He has 4 errors to Myers' 0, but it seems that Calhoun gets to more balls. Calhoun has that rocket for an arm earning him 3 assists to Myers 1, and we know a strong right field arm can affect an opponents 1st to 3rd and scoring plays, but I'm not sure how important that is.

If I'm voting in that scenario, I give the slight edge to Calhoun, but given actual circumstances, Myers is the offensive rookie of the year. Unfortunately for Myers, the rookie of the year can be won by pitchers, too.

WIth all that said, I'd still vote for Archer.

Again the writers don't watch angel baseball. Shuck has played a lot better than anyone thought he would this year. I like him a lot as a fourth or fifth OF. But I bet he gets left off of a lot of ballots even if they allow three or four votes. I seem to remember however that ROY voting is only for top rookie not top five rookies. In that case he will probably have zero votes.

If they don't watch baseball as you suggest I would bet he would get votes.  If they don't watch baseball they will certainly see Shuck's stats which is second best among rookies.  They will also see his highlight catches.  I certainly don't think he is worthy of ROY, but statistically he worthy of consideration.

ROY is as much about the buzz as it is about performance........

Myers got the buzz and his performance hasn't detracted from his lead coming in.

He wins. And he probably deserves to.

Archer was impressive early on but fell off as the year wore on.

Straihly (spelling?) from the A's would be my choice (or Myers) because I think Straihly has very quietly (part of that is the West Coast and small Oakland crowds) been a major reason why the A's may be popping champagne today..........oh yes, that and the Rangers'  annual collapse.