• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Moment It All Went Wrong

I know this is aw.com and everything but...come on.  There were plenty of people (myself included) who at the very least thought the contract was too long.  

Maybe you were, but all I remember is glowing accolades to Arte,  because there was a concern that the Dodgers were going to offer Scioscia a better situation.

My Downfall point!

Resignation of Bill Stoneman!

It was a gradual decline as the major pieces to the Angels were already set in place.  They won the division in 2008 and 2009.  However, once the key pieces that Stoneman put together left (Valldy, Figgins, Lackey, Oliver) left than Reagins had to make some tough decisions on replacements.  Those decisions began to backfire and went from bad to worse.

1. Matsui for Vladdy!

2. Trading for Haren when we were already out of the race for the playoffs and desperately needed a bat!

3. Rodney

4. Wells

5. failing to sign Beltre

6. Pujols

7. Hamilton:  signing a bat when we desperately needed a pitcher

8.  Moreno began to step in because he didn't have respect for Reagins and now Dipoto.  AND  veto trade of Santana in 2012 and veto trade of Abreu when he was going to be nothing but trouble.

9.  failure to upgrade the bullpen for four years!

I regret every bad thing I have said about Stoneman.  I didn't like how he would let our guys walk without getting compensation (Kennedy and Molina) and I thought it was stupid letting Glaus go, but he did a damn good job maintaining a winner!

Sorry put the wrong link in the box.  Fixed now.

Matsui for Vladdy? LOL. That switch meant nothing. Matsui had a decent offensive year for us, and Vladdy was at the end of the road. That move hardly did anything to our chances that year. 

Vladdy "outhit" Matsui by a litte in a bandbox that year. Big deal. The real downfall was when Arte and Scioscia started playing GM after the end of the Stoneman era. The Wells deal has Scioscia and Arte's finger prints all over it. The Hamilton and Pujols deals are all on Arte it looks like. He is the reason this franchise is in shambles. He is the one who gave Scioscia a 10 year deal and hired Reagins and Dipoto. He has no one to blame but himself.

Matsui for Vladdy? LOL. That switch meant nothing. Matsui had a decent offensive year for us, and Vladdy was at the end of the road. That move hardly did anything to our chances that year. 

Vladdy "outhit" Matsui by a litte in a bandbox that year. Big deal. The real downfall was when Arte and Scioscia started playing GM after the end of the Stoneman era. The Wells deal has Scioscia and Arte's finger prints all over it. The Hamilton and Pujols deals are all on Arte it looks like. He is the reason this franchise is in shambles. He is the one who gave Scioscia a 10 year deal and hired Reagins and Dipoto. He has no one to blame but himself.

First my argument was that if your going to replace Vladdy our best offensive player after the all star break  you should find a better replacement!

Second, what F'n season are you looking at?  Matsui sucked for us!  Period.  He may have gotten hot when we were out of the race but he sucked when we needed him.  Vladdy that year???? just an All Star!

So laugh all you want but to suggest Matsui over Vladdy in 2010 ends all credibility to you.

First my argument was that if your going to replace Vladdy our best offensive player after the all star break  you should find a better replacement!

Second, what F'n season are you looking at?  Matsui sucked for us!  Period.  He may have gotten hot when we were out of the race but he sucked when we needed him.  Vladdy that year???? just an All Star!

So laugh all you want but to suggest Matsui over Vladdy in 2010 ends all credibility to you.

I never said Matsui over Vladdy in 2010 was a good move, but this thread is titled "the Moment it All Went Wrong". Choosing Matsui over Vladdy clearly wasn't the moment it all went wrong. It had almost no impact on anything outside of slightly worse production for ONE year. It is such a minor move especially when you consider this franchise has endured Adenhart's death (RIP), the Wells trade, the Morales injury, the Pujols signing, and the Hamilton signing. Those are legit moments that "changed it all" you can argue. Choosing Matsui over Vladdy? Not so much...

I never said Matsui over Vladdy in 2010 was a good move, but this thread is titled "the Moment it All Went Wrong". Choosing Matsui over Vladdy clearly wasn't the moment it all went wrong. It had almost no impact on anything outside of slightly worse production for ONE year. It is such a minor move especially when you consider this franchise has endured Adenhart's death (RIP), the Wells trade, the Morales injury, the Pujols signing, and the Hamilton signing. Those are legit moments that "changed it all" you can argue. Choosing Matsui over Vladdy? Not so much...

you might want to re read his original post. 

you might want to re read his original post. 

I did. I still disagree that choosing Matsui over Vlad on a 1 year deal had anything to do with the downfall of this organization. I agree with a lot of what he said except that. I just think it's a reach to say that was one of Reagins poor decisions. Vladdy was coming off an awful year and Matsui was coming off a good year in New York.

I did. I still disagree that choosing Matsui over Vlad on a 1 year deal had anything to do with the downfall of this organization. I agree with a lot of what he said except that. I just think it's a reach to say that was one of Reagins poor decisions. Vladdy was coming off an awful year and Matsui was coming off a good year in New York.

"Choosing Matsui over Vladdy clearly wasn't the moment it all went wrong."

that's what you initially posted.  just an fyi. 

Two moments:

1. Reggie Willits failed suicide squeeze vs Red Sox in the ALDS made this team too desperate for a MOTO power bat. This emphasis on getting the big bat worked against Scioscia's MO of NL baseball (pitching, speed, defense, bullpen)

2. Napoli continuing to stick it to the Angels embarrassed Arte so much that he had to tey to buy revenge in the form of Pujols, and then Hamilton

Failing to sign Beltre.

For the record, I thought Texas way over paid and though it would have been nice to have him, the deal was a bad one.

Failing to sign Beltre lead to Wells and the downfall.

The deal was a bad one? Beltre has averaged about a 5 WAR since 2011, more than anything we've gotten from Pujols and Hamilton COMBINED. That contract looks genius compared to the ones we gave Albert Pujols and Hackilton.

I know this is aw.com and everything but...come on. There were plenty of people (myself included) who at the very least thought the contract was too long.

Maybe you were, but all I remember is glowing accolades to Arte, because there was a concern that the Dodgers were going to offer Scioscia a better situation.

Kuddos to Glen. My how quickly people forget. There were plenty who didnt like the move. Glen was one, I was another, he'll, even Chuck didn't like the move.

Giving Scioscia that contract gave him the free pass to believe he was irreplaceable.

Oh yeah.... Buttercup is a very close second.

Kuddos to Glen. My how quickly people forget. There were plenty who didnt like the move. Glen was one, I was another, he'll, even Chuck didn't like the move.

Giving Scioscia that contract gave him the free pass to believe he was irreplaceable.

Oh yeah.... Buttercup is a very close second.

Lot of short memories here.