• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels superstar Mike Trout anxious about WAR

August 16, 2013

ANAHEIM, California  - Even as the Los Angeles Angels are no longer in the hunt for a playoff spot, 14 games out of a wildcard berth and 15.5 games out of first place, superstar outfielder, Mike Trout, has more on his mind: his WAR.

WAR is a term used by sabermetric analysts (aka stat-nerds) as a catchall number to express a player's total value in the form of "Wins Above Replacement" - that is, how good a player is relative to a hypothetical "replacement player" - the type of player that any team could easily find in AAA as a replacement for a major league caliber starter - players such as Paul McAnulty, Andrew Romine, Robb Quinlan and Josh Hamilton. It has gained in popularity over the last few years and is now the most commonly used sabermetric statistic used among stat-heads and on baseball forums.

WAR is no laughing matter to Mike Trout, however, who wakes up every morning and, even before eating breakfast, gets online and checks his WAR - both at Fangraphs.com and Baseball-Reference.com. I met Trout in his hotel room in Anaheim at 8:00am. "Damn," he says frowning, his voice slurred by a mouthful of breakfast cereal as he scans his iPhone. "My dWAR is down again - I should've let Kole get that ball because it messed with my Total Zone Rating!"

When asked which source he prefers, Trout hesitated and then said "Both are useful, but Fangraphs seems more accurate," he paused, "at least this year. They have my WAR at 8.2 while BR has it at 6.8. Can you imagine?" He looks up from his bowl, milk dripping from the corners of his mouth. Then he grabs the Pop Tarts out of the toaster and eats one in three bites.

"We should be paid based on WAR," Trout said, as he pulled a plate mounded with a half dozen scrambled eggs and ten strips of bacon from the breakfast cart. "My salary should be over forty million bucks this year - can you imagine all the cool stuff I could get for my basement with that kind of dough?" Trout referred to the finished basement of his parents home in South New Jersey.

WAR has become an obsession for the newly 22-year old outfielder. He first discovered it when, early in the summer after reaching third base playing the Detroit Tigers, Miguel Cabrera said to him with a smirking smile, "How's your WAR, amigo?" At the time, unbeknownst to Trout, Cabrera led the majors in WAR. Trout left the game scratching his head, unsure what Miggy was talking about. When he asked various members of the Angels coaching staff, none seemed to know.

"Then I made the mistake of asking Sosh," Trout said, pausing as his fork entered a stack of eight pancakes smothered in butter and maple syrup. "He just looked at me for like ten seconds with that Sosh look on his face, then walked away." Trout visibly shuddered, took a huge bite of pancakes, then continued, still chewing as he spoke. "Then Petey [bourjos] pulled me aside and whispered in my hear, 'Never mention WAR or any other advanced metric to Scioscia. Never."

What followed for Trout was what he described as an "initiation" into the world of "advanced metrics." He soon discovered that there was a small group on the team - including Bourjos, Mark Trumbo, and Chris Iannetta - who secretly checked their WAR and analyzed deep statistics. "Kole and Grant are into it too," Trout said, smiling. "Evidently everyone is in Oakland."

Trout attributes this new awareness of WAR and advanced statistics to his improved hitting over the last month or two, leading to an increased walk rate, a decreased strikeout rate, and overall better offensive value. "Every little thing matters," he said. When asked if he meant with regards to winning a game, he shook his head. "Nah, I mean I suppose that too, but I'm talking about WAR. Every little thing. That's why I'm taking more walks. Its a sure thing for an increase in WAR. I might walk 150, 200 times next year."

"The key," he continued, "Is to keep my Ultimate Zone Rating up, as well as steal bases at a rate that keeps my Ultimate Baserunning and Weighted Total Base Runs healthy....wait, did you see that?!" The athletic boy-man excitedly sat up in his chair, pointing at the flatscreen in the background as a lion was in the process of pulling a zebra to the ground. "Cool!" he said excitedly as he poured himself a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.

"It gives me something to care about," Trout said. "After I awakened to the world of sabermetrics, even when we still had a chance I didn't care all that much about making the playoffs. I just want to keep my WAR up - I'm closing in on Mel Ott for most by a player in their age 21 season or younger!"

As I quietly closed his hotel room door behind me, I couldn't help but shake my head and smile. This isn't Earl Weaver's game anymore.

"The key," he continued, "Is to keep my Ultimate Zone Rating up, as well as steal bases at a rate that keeps my Ultimate Baserunning and Weighted Total Base Runs healthy....wait, did you see that?!" The athletic boy-man excitedly sat up in his chair, pointing at the flatscreen in the background as a lion was in the process of pulling a zebra to the ground. "Cool!" he said excitedly as he poured himself a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.

My favorite part. LOL.