• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Not signing Beltre was the turning point

of this team no longer becoming a serious contender.  2010, the year was over with Kendrys going down.  Reagins and company fail in getting Beltre even though it was a position of need and he had a great year with the Red Sox.  Beltre goes on to be a high .800-.900 OPS player with the Rangers.  Reagins makes a panic move and trades for Vernon Wells.  Napoli ends up in Texas and goes out and leads them to the World Series.  If Reagins signs Beltre, we don't trade Napoli.  Pretty good chance we make the playoffs.  2012, Reagins sticks around and doesn't make any drastic changes cause they had a good year previous.  So, the team doesn't sign Pujols, then Trout takes it from there. 

Hindsight is 20/20.

If I recall correctly, Beltre was signed for 6/90. At that time he had just come off a terrible contract by the Dodgers and gave no signs of turning his career around. Yes, looking at his numbers now, it appears that we should have signed him. But nobody wanted him based on what he had previously done to the Dodgers.

Hindsight is 20/20.

If I recall correctly, Beltre was signed for 6/90. At that time he had just come off a terrible contract by the Dodgers and gave no signs of turning his career around. Yes, looking at his numbers now, it appears that we should have signed him. But nobody wanted him based on what he had previously done to the Dodgers.

None of that is correct.

You guys realize that virtually every team in the major leagues can go through this exercise, right?  Hindsight is the easiest thing in the world to apply.  None of that matters now, it's what the team does starting tomorrow that counts.  The power shifts constantly in baseball, you can analyze the past all you want, but I hope this organization is only dealing with the future and they have a solid overall plan in place.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Wrong. He came off of a bad contract from the Mariners, then had a breakout year with the Red Sox in 2010. Everybody knows Beltre juiced in 2004 for his contract year, but the question is what did he start taking at age 30? He's been a top 10 hitter in baseball since then. 

Let's be fair, though.  Those that wanted to sign Beltre didn't expect 3-4 years in a row that would be better than all but of one his previous seasons.  He was good, but you couldn't have expected him to improve and maintain it for several years. Maintaining his production for that long was unlikely.

You guys realize that virtually every team in the major leagues can go through this exercise, right?  Hindsight is the easiest thing in the world to apply.  None of that matters now, it's what the team does starting tomorrow that counts.  The power shifts constantly in baseball, you can analyze the past all you want, but I hope this organization is only dealing with the future and they have a solid overall plan in place.

tomorrow?  we have an off day :)

There were a lot of people on this board who wanted him signed as an Angel.

I'll admit that I wasn't one of them though. I thought he was a juicer. I thought his stats would decline. I was wrong.

He actually does juice, but has an exemption from MLB. He takes synthetic testosterone because he has one nut. Not sure of the dosage, but he is pretty muscular.