• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blanton a trade candidate....

DMVol

If someone claims him, don't even negotiate, give him to them.  That would save the full amount for next season.

If no one claims him.  Definitely negotiate.  If we could get a prospect and say only pay $2 million next season, take it.  If it's more than that, he has shown that he does have some value as a long reliever, and a spot start for next season.  So it'll depend on exactly how much.

Try to trade him...if not keep him in the pen. Williams sucks too, so move him to the bullpen when Vargas returns. Richards absolutely has to stay in the rotation. Rest of the season the rotation should be:

Weaver

Wilson

Vargas

Richards

Hanson

Build Richards' confidence up for next year.

Blanton in the pen actually makes sense.  Just off the top of my head I recall him being ok in the first couple innings of his starts for the most part, it's deeper into the game when the lineup has seen him a couple times that the wheels fall off.  To say that's the case is an understatement.  Opponents OPS by inning:

1st: .698

2nd: .770

3rd: .870

4th: .967

5th: 1.078  (!!!!)

6th: 1.253 (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

And that's not a tiny sample size in those last two innings - about 140 PAs.   His career numbers aren't quite that dramatic, but they aren't pretty -- an .850ish OPS in the 5th and 6th innings.   Needless to say, I think the bullpen is where Joe belongs the rest of his career, because opponents are playing him like a fiddle after the first two trips through the order.

If he can provide 1-2 innings of relief, why trade him?  I mean, $6.5 million is a lot, but it's not like this team hasn't overpaid before. 

I was thinking that at first, but we'd like to get rid of him before he turns into a pumpkin.

Try to trade him...if not keep him in the pen. Williams sucks too, so move him to the bullpen when Vargas returns. Richards absolutely has to stay in the rotation. Rest of the season the rotation should be:

Weaver

Wilson

Vargas

Richards

Hanson

Build Richards' confidence up for next year.

I agree with this.  Whatever it takes to get Richards ready to be a productive starter next year is very important for this team.  I'd like to then see the Angels resign Vargas and either sign Garza or trade Howie/Aybar for a solid #2/#3 starter.

Weaver

Wilson

Garza (or pitcher via trade)

Vargas

Richards

That is a solid rotation.

The pen is so weak, and at least with Blanton you know what you are getting. He throws strikes and stays healthy. Bullpen arms are hard to judge from season to season.
For all these reasons, I say keep him.... plus this..you KNOW as soon as he goes elsewhere he will be an all-star.
REPLACE BUTCHER-KEEP BLANTON

Blanton for Longoria would help our third base options for the future and the Rays get a future all star closer.  

If we can get Eva Longoria it would be a home run (which is no different than having Blanton as a starter)!