• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What value does Trumbo bring to this team other than raw power?

Oh and here my analogy.

AngelsWin is like the kid with the magnify glass that finds an ant and burns him dead. Then the kid goes to the next ant and burns him dead. Then the next and the next and then next. I wonder how long until someone thinks Trout is an ant and that he should be traded to fix the bullpen.

My favorite part of this thread is when HOA says he pulls the ball too much, LT gives him a link to Trumbo's spray chart, which basically proved him wrong, then HOA says and I quote, "cool story bro", as if he brought up something completely off subject. Trumbo brings power, which isn't that easy to find. Something else not mentioned in this thread is he seems to be growing into one of the leaders on this team. I have no problem trading him, but it has to be for the right piece. I don't expect a great pitcher or great pitching prospect for him but I would expect a very solid club controlled pitcher for him. He has more value to the Angels than bringing in a league average number four starter.

Sounds like you blow a load every time Trumbo strikes out on a sky high pitch. Gets you hot and heavy doesn't it?

I know most will disagree with this take, but Trumbo is more of a pull hitter than the stats show. The reason for this is because when he K's it's mostly because he is pulling off the ball. It's no secret that he, and many other hitters, are more successful when they hit the ball where it is pitched and go the other way with it. But, that said, Trumbo's issue is he falls out of that approach at the plate at times. And it's usually after he has found a bit of success hitting the other way. It's almost as if that isn't enough for him. He needs more. That is when you see the 0-4 with 4 K's games out of him.

Oh by the way you started this thread asking a question, I answered the question from my point of view. If you looked at the spray chart and can't admit you were wrong about that part I don't know what to tell you. So I'll ask you this, what is the minimum you would take back in return for Trumbo? Give us a real name? Would you take Bud Norris? Would you take Ryan Dempster (I wouldn't). Give us the absolute minimum you would take back in return.

I know most will disagree with this take, but Trumbo is more of a pull hitter than the stats show. The reason for this is because when he K's it's mostly because he is pulling off the ball. It's no secret that he, and many other hitters, are more successful when they hit the ball where it is pitched and go the other way with it. But, that said, Trumbo's issue is he falls out of that approach at the plate at times. And it's usually after he has found a bit of success hitting the other way. It's almost as if that isn't enough for him. He needs more. That is when you see the 0-4 with 4 K's games out of him.

Now this I completely agree with.

not sure I would agree with the pulling off the ball being the majority of his K's but good post overall.

I agree Strad... and he has proven he has the pop to hit HRs the other way too a la Mike Trout. He just seems to fall into some kind of Paul Bunyan disease. Maybe he guesses fastball too many times. I don't know what it is for sure, but for every stretch of success he has, he hits a severe dry spell at the plate.

I also think he is afraid to take a close pitch for a ball. It's as if he takes the approach of "if I'm gonna K it will be because I was hacking." I bet out of the last 200 K's in the last 162 games, he's probably K'd looking less than 20 times. Anyone know if there is a stat that shows this?

It's not so much that he changes his approach from trying to go the other way, but more that he expands the zone. Pitchers adjust when he's on a roll, start pitching him more breaking balls off the plate and he hacks at them. It seems he is slow to adjust back and narrow his swing zone so pitchers will continue to exploit that.

My favorite part of this thread is when HOA says he pulls the ball too much, LT gives him a link to Trumbo's spray chart, which basically proved him wrong, then HOA says and I quote, "cool story bro", as if he brought up something completely off subject. Trumbo brings power, which isn't that easy to find. Something else not mentioned in this thread is he seems to be growing into one of the leaders on this team. I have no problem trading him, but it has to be for the right piece. I don't expect a great pitcher or great pitching prospect for him but I would expect a very solid club controlled pitcher for him. He has more value to the Angels than bringing in a league average number four starter.

What does "pulls tor he ball way too much" even mean?

Man you guys are coming up with some incredible analogies in this thread. First the sun analogy and now this one.

Uh... Okay....   the Industrial Revolution to me is just like a story I know called "The Puppy Who Lost His Way." The world was changing, and the puppy was getting... bigger.  So, you see, the puppy was like industry. In that, they were both lost in the woods. And nobody, especially the little boy - "society" - knew where to find 'em. Except that the puppy was a dog. But the industry, my friends, that was a revolution.

The same applies to Trumbo's value.

Ya, like others have said, while he's pretty much a one trick pony, it's kind of a neat trick. And it makes him a good, not great or untouchable any by any means, player. 

All that said, he would be my first choice of guys to move if Calhoun forces himself into a regular job or if someone like Cron or Grichuk ever figures out what a "ball" is.