• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why do people hate A-Rod?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HGH improves your recovery from workouts allowing you to workout more frequently.  It is a PED.  You should really quit while you are behind.

NO IT DOESN'T. you don't actually know what growth hormone does, do you? almost every study you'll find shows that it doesn't increase exercise capacity or muscle mass.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/growth-hormone/HA00030

injections of human growth hormone can:

Increase bone density

Increase muscle mass

Decrease body fat

Increase exercise capacity

So basically sneaky_flute, as we already knew... you have no clue what the **** you are talking about.

you conveniently left out "what can growth hormone do for otherwise healthy adults?" i suggest you read some peer-reviewed journals about growth hormone.

I think sneaky_flute is getting unjustifiably dogpiled on here.  

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/growth-hormone/HA00030

injections of human growth hormone can:

Increase bone density
Increase muscle mass
Decrease body fat
Increase exercise capacity

So basically sneaky_flute, as we already knew... you have no clue what the **** you are talking about.

You deleted the first half of a sentence there.   "For adults who have a growth hormone deficiency, injections of human growth hormone can:"

And the next section that followed what you posted:

"What can human growth hormone do for otherwise healthy adults?

Studies of healthy adults taking human growth hormone are limited. Although it appears that human growth hormone injections can increase muscle mass and reduce the amount of body fat in healthy older adults, the increase in muscle doesn't translate into increased strength. It isn't clear if human growth hormone may provide other benefits to healthy adults."

A few years ago, Dr. Andrew Hoffman at Stanford did a presentation showing how weak the research was up to that point:  

http://www.cme.hsc.usf.edu/growthladder/presentations/files/13%20Growth%20Hormone%20and%20Sports-%20AH.pdf

In 2010 a more complete study was done that demonstrated an increase in sprinting performance, but no change in power, strength, or endurance.  That study was cited in Lifetime's article.  http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100504/HGH-improves-athletic-performance-Study.aspx

The jist of it is that HGH research is still pretty sparse at this point, but all that's really been proven is that it improves one aspect of athletic performance, while not impacting most others, and carries some nasty side effects (joint pain, etc.)  One thing I found really interesting from the 2010 study though:

"Sprint capacity returned to normal six weeks after participants stopped receiving injections."

Which reminds me of Ryan Madson bringing up the question earlier in the season about whether HGH should be allowed to aid in recovery from injuries.  Based on that study, the one performance benefit to HGH appears to fade pretty quickly after ceasing treatment, which I think makes his point valid.  Why not allow athletes treatment that can help them heal faster, so long as they have discontinued treatment for a period of time before returning to the field to negate its short-term effects?

I think sneaky_flute is getting unjustifiably dogpiled on here.  

Not really. Every study that questions the athletic benefits of HGH also states that there is not nearly enough study/evidence to conclude conclusively. And, as I posted in the articel above, there have been studies that show there is athletic benefits to HGH use. 

Not really. Every study that questions the athletic benefits of HGH also states that there is not nearly enough study/evidence to conclude conclusively. And, as I posted in the articel above, there have been studies that show there is athletic benefits to HGH use. 

Did you even read my post below the line you quoted?  I can't imagine you did based on what you just typed.

'H' does more for performance than some of you want to believe. To add to it, its generally not used by itself...

HGH is naturally occurring (like test). Your body naturally produces it, which in turn leads to certain functions (like test).

Adding more to your body than you are naturally producing (like test) will increase those certain functions...

Steroids are still very misunderstood by the majority of the general public. They serve the same purpose as hormone therapy for women. The reason they aren't as accepted (historically) is because women usually got them from a doctor due to menopause and related conditions, where as men got them from some guy at the gym for cosmetic purposes.

That said, they do plenty more than simply 'build mass'. This is the part which is misunderstood by the general public.

Personally, I agree with the above posyer who said most players have used ay some point. I would alter it a bit though to say maybe its not most (currently), but its FAR more than what we as fans know about. In terms of guys like arod, manny etc.....they were caught twice (or 3 times). Think mlb just got lucky and tested right when they used their first time? Manny didn't even get caught with juice, he got caught post cycling....thay should be a good sign about how on the ball the actual testing was.