• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Jimmy Herget to the Braves for cash

• mmc changed the title to Angels trade Jimmy Herget to the Braves for cash

This one is actually really interesting.

Perry has shipped off a lot of AAAA young relievers with team control, and although Hoby Milner somehow ended up turning into maybe the best LH reliever in the league last year, not many of the others have really turned into anything we're really missing out on. Packy Naughton, Oliver Ortega, and Austin Warren would be the main guys I'm thinking of. 

Before Herget, all those AAAA young reliever castoffs were Eppler guys, so you kind of figure a new regime would shake things up anyways. 

Herget might represent the first and only young and team controlled reliever found by Perry who had legitimate success in the majors, stayed in the system for multiple years, and ended up getting DFA'd. Jacob Webb was another nice find by Perry and a regrettable DFA, but Webb unlike Herget was only with the organization for a couple months so maybe Perry just didn't have enough time to see his potential. 

Recent memory of Herget, also formerly doing business as "The Slim Reaper", is less favorable since 2023 when he got nuked for a 2.17 HR/9 and 4.66 ERA. But in 2021 and 2022, Herget had outstanding peripherals, and in 2022 he was the best reliever in the organization with a 2.48 ERA. He also has least 3 more years of team control and 1 option. 

So to me at least, this Herget thing is the first time we can fairly see an entire lifecycle and evaluate Perry's ability to find a young and team controlled reliever, squeeze juice out of them for good production, and then appropriately know when to move on.

Will be interesting to see what happens. It is absolutely unconventional to DFA a pitcher who has had significant recent MLB success and team control while there are several pitchers on the 40 man with either no team control, or no proven MLB success.

Either way, I'm rooting for the Slim Jim and those goggles in his future endeavors. 

58 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because no one offered a player?

Riiighttt... you're absolutely right in premise but.... This is a guy who is 30 years old, has 3-4 more years of team control, an option remaining, and put up a 2.48 ERA in 2022. 

You sure you can't get a player back for that if you talk to the right people at the right time?

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it and its could've/would've/should've but....... ya could've.

3 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

Why couldn’t we get a player in return?  Herget was pitching well in AAA, and he has ML experience.  Maybe a SS from low A, or something.

Perry's first and only call was to the Braves. He is trying to keep a good relationship with his former boss in case he gets let go by the Angels at the end of the year. 

(Sarcasm)

(Maybe)

13 hours ago, samwum said:

Perry's first and only call was to the Braves. He is trying to keep a good relationship with his former boss in case he gets let go by the Angels at the end of the year. 

(Sarcasm)

(Maybe)

Or, Herget was DFAd, no one was interested in trading any asset for him so he was gonna just go on waivers and the Braves offered cash to not risk getting passed up.  There’s no reason whatsoever to think Herget had trade value.

3 hours ago, samwum said:

This one is actually really interesting.

Perry has shipped off a lot of AAAA young relievers with team control, and although Hoby Milner somehow ended up turning into maybe the best LH reliever in the league last year, not many of the others have really turned into anything we're really missing out on. Packy Naughton, Oliver Ortega, and Austin Warren would be the main guys I'm thinking of. 

Peguero has been pretty good with Milwaukee

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Or, Herget was DFAd, no one was interested in trading any asset for him so he was gonna just go on waivers and the Braves offered cash to risk getting passed up.  Theres no reason whatsoever to think Herget had trade value

Internet forums - where if you choose not to read the discussion before your own comment, the previous discussion does not exist!

34 minutes ago, BTH said:

Peguero has been pretty good with Milwaukee

Huh. You're not wrong. That's shocking to me. Although his peripherals last year suggested he's more of a 4.00 ERA than the 3.25 ERA guy he was. I guess maybe we do know that Perry can't even properly evaluate the relievers he himself chooses to bring in. 

5 hours ago, samwum said:

Riiighttt... you're absolutely right in premise but.... This is a guy who is 30 years old, has 3-4 more years of team control, an option remaining, and put up a 2.48 ERA in 2022. 

You sure you can't get a player back for that if you talk to the right people at the right time?

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it and its could've/would've/should've but....... ya could've.

Yes I’m sure.