• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (4/22/24): Orioles @ Angels: Detmers on the mound, Adrianza at 2B, Schanuel leading off

Just now, samwum said:

Really excited to see what Adrianza can contribute. He may only have .659 OPS in 1550 career ABs, but he's just 34 years old. This might be the year he unlocks another gear.

I'm guessing Drury is still banged up and Rengifo is getting "punished" for his bad defense over the past few days--but, yeah, I still wasn't expecting to see Adrianza starting on day 2 of him being on the roster. 

Just realized that Suarez was in the Angels' system for one year back in 2015. I have zero recollection of that. He went 11-9 with a 2.98 ERA at Arkansas. He pitched in Japan and Korea the past few years before the Orioles signed him. 

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm guessing Drury is still banged up and Rengifo is getting "punished" for his bad defense over the past few days--but, yeah, I still wasn't expecting to see Adrianza starting on day 2 of him being on the roster. 

Wouldn't be Angels baseball without at least one veteran charity case in the lineup. 

44 minutes ago, samwum said:

Really excited to see what Adrianza can contribute. He may only have a .659 OPS in 1550 career ABs, but he's just 34 years old. This might be the year he unlocks another gear.

Lol at "just 34" 

57 minutes ago, samwum said:

Really excited to see what Adrianza can contribute. He may only have a .659 OPS in 1550 career ABs, but he's just 34 years old. This might be the year he unlocks another gear.

At 34 his next gear is reverse, Mr Shamwow. 

I know some people don't like to hear anything even mildly negative about Trout, and he's clearly not one of the main reasons the team is playing poorly--but...his StatCast numbers are showing some interesting patterns early on:

Screenshot_20240422_161232_Chrome.jpg

Obviously early in the season, so this profile might change--but take a look at the exit velocity and hard hit %. Both are way below what we normally see from him. 

If you dig a little deeper into his batted ball profile here: 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/mike-trout-545361?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

...you can see that he's getting under a lot of balls, leading to soft flyball outs and pop-ups (which is one reason his BABIP is so low) . He's walking and K'ing less than he has in recent years, so he's making contact/swinging at a lot, but on whole, not doing as much as he has with those balls historically (yes, I realize this may sound strange to say about someone with 8 HR already--but it's been feast or famine).

Also: he's still struggling with four-seam fastballs.

Hopefully, he'll straighten out a bit on this homestand and we'll start seeing more line-drive doubles and other hits falling in. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Schanuel is 7 for past 15, albeit all singles.   Might as well take advantage of him reaching base lately.

.545 OPS is not the most encouraging stat for the leadoff spot. Then again, maybe this change benefits him. I guess we will see shortly.