• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (4/19/24 3:40pm Pacific): Angels @ Reds: Anderson on the mound, Drury at DH

In hindsight, I don't think the Adell base running thing was AS stupid as I originally thought. He was trying to make something happen on a backhand/long throw and needed a perfect throw from first. It was a poor decision but not as completely idiotic as I originally thought. I think that's why he keeps trying to steal (Wash implied it's been Jo's go) -- he wants to show he can contribute badly. 

But by golly, taking strike 3 was a massive error. Just atrocious with 1 out. Neto too -- what good does Ball 3 do in that situation? Protect the plate; also, you're losing! That's when you should be more aggressive. Neto's 1st AB told me all I need to know about where his head is right now. Thought it was strike 3 looking, turned around and started marching to the dugout. Called a ball, he came back...and struck out. He expects to strike out right now. Ever since he tried to hit everything out in Miami he's been wildly inconsistent at the plate. And his Defensive Metrics are actually pretty bad, surprisingly. 

Finally, I find it pretty odd that Rendon, Sano, Neto, and Rengifo all have 0 HR. You'd think they'd luck their way into one over 20 games. I know HRs across the league are way down, but still odd that all those guys haven't punched one out. 

Just have to follow up with some interesting info from metrics: 

Sano is murdering the ball -- but his OBP is higher than his SLG. 

Rengifo is not squaring up the ball at all. Not even a little. No barrels, and is chasing almost exactly at the worst rate in the league. Defense has been awful

Adell's offensive numbers are very solid except for his Chase/Whiff. But I'd live with that if his OPS stayed around .800. .250/.320/.480 with 25HR and 25SB would be golden with him batting 7th. 

Sandoval has solid peripherals, he's due to revert to the mean (average). 

Drury's numbers are very solid for a guy hitting .203, I think he will revert back soon. He's been great fielding wise. 

*I think their ideal lineup right now with how guys are performing is 

Schanuel
Trout
Rendon
Ward
O'Hoppe
Sano
Drury
Adell
Neto

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i picked the reds to win the NL Central. i'm guessing this series will give them a big push in that direction.

We had people on the board thinking the Angels would sweep the Reds, who had the better record coming into this series.

Frustrating game again. No clutch hitting when the game was close. Bullpen ruins a solid start. And the few solidly hit balls were mostly right at defenders. 

Ward might have eventually scored if he didn't think his double was a homer and hustled more on the bases. Instead we saw what happened. 

Neto doesn't look like a major leaguer right now. Even when he makes his best contact (which is rare) it's warning track power. And he is lost at the plate, fooled constantly by pitches. Velasquez at least had a glove. In hindsight looks like Neto was rushed or maybe just can't adjust to the majors. 

Shortstop continues to be a problem. 

Anyways, now two games below .500 and not trending in the right direction. 

27 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Neto doesn't look like a major leaguer right now. Even when he makes his best contact (which is rare) it's warning track power. And he is lost at the plate, fooled constantly by pitches. Velasquez at least had a glove. In hindsight looks like Neto was rushed or maybe just can't adjust to the majors. 

Shortstop continues to be a problem. 

Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts

Screenshot_20240419_233125_Chrome.jpg

20 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Ironic, that the starting pitching which was a perceived weakness is doing better, while the offense is mostly a dud. A .500 team basically.

8th in the AL in runs scored per game, 12th in runs allowed. I still think .500 over the course of the year is slightly optimistic. 

10 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

In hindsight, I don't think the Adell base running thing was AS stupid as I originally thought. He was trying to make something happen on a backhand/long throw and needed a perfect throw from first. It was a poor decision but not as completely idiotic as I originally thought. I think that's why he keeps trying to steal (Wash implied it's been Jo's go) -- he wants to show he can contribute badly. 

It was a good throw from the 1bman but he was out by 10 feet. And Trout was in the on deck circle. 

8 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Seriously?

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Who? Seriously, who?

On 4/18/2024 at 2:45 PM, CaliAngel said:

New series tomorrow, we should be able to sweep the Reds. 

The great @CaliAngel, the voice of reason

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

8th in the AL in runs scored per game, 12th in runs allowed. I still think .500 over the course of the year is slightly optimistic. 

So what are your success metrics in these areas for the next 20?  

edit.   Nice putz reaction from Jason as expected from someone unable to formulate a coherent plan at most, or just be a nice person at least 

Edited by Swordsman78

18 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

edit.   Nice putz reaction from Jason as expected from someone unable to formulate a coherent plan at most, or just be a nice person at least 

You got that reaction because your question is moronic. What are my "success metrics" in these areas? Score more, allow fewer. 

Your continued bizarre obsession with arbitrary 20-game stretches and random "success metrics" is laughable. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

You got that reaction because your question is moronic. What are my "success metrics" in these areas? Score more, allow fewer. 

Your continued bizarre obsession with arbitrary 20-game stretches and random "success metrics" is laughable. 

You threw out results and I was simply asking for your quantifiable expectations.  

Edited by Swordsman78

56 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

You have got to be the biggest moron this place has these days.