• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Suarez, Schanuel

Suarez I'm sure will be the first to get waived but it's doubtful Schanuel gets demoted or benched. 

Posted this earlier on X. 

Nolan Schanuel has gotten off to a slow start with just a .482 OPS through the first nine games of the season, and fans are already calling for benching him or sending him down to the minors.

Julio Rodriguez has a slightly better .493 OPS through 10 games and the following qualifying players have an OPS lower than Schanuel’s out of the gate:

Lindor, Hays, Varsho, Outman, Encarnacion-Strand, Drury, Rendon, Castellanos, McNeil, JJ Crawford, Nimmo, Verdugo, Torkelson, Hoerner, Bryant and Parker Meadows and Henry Davis who were picks to break out this season.

Schanuel through his first 29 games last season had .732 OPS, he then had a .750 OPS with two HR through 19 games this spring.

Let’s keep it real. It’s EARLY.

He will be fine!

He is young and maybe it's better for him and Angels to let him work on his game in minors. Halos looking for a quick fix instead of what is good for player and team. Would it not be better to have Rengifo in lineup? What does he have to do to play. One of better hitters last year and he is on the bench. Angel fans put some of their young players on pedestal when they have done very little. With Rendon leading off is another mistake. 

25 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

He is young and maybe it's better for him and Angels to let him work on his game in minors. Halos looking for a quick fix instead of what is good for player and team. Would it not be better to have Rengifo in lineup? What does he have to do to play. One of better hitters last year and he is on the bench. Angel fans put some of their young players on pedestal when they have done very little. With Rendon leading off is another mistake. 

Like we have had young players to put on a pedestal lately. Also, all teams and their fans do this, the Angels aren't "special" in this regard. 

If Schanuel is still struggling in the middle of May I'd be more entertained with the idea of sending him down. Until then though I'm willing to let him try to figure it out.

I do agree with some other posters that Rengifo should figure into the lineup more. Maybe a platoon with Drury or just leaving Sano as a bench bat rather than the main DH.

16 minutes ago, redoctober2002 said:

If Schanuel is still struggling in the middle of May I'd be more entertained with the idea of sending him down. Until then though I'm willing to let him try to figure it out.

I do agree with some other posters that Rengifo should figure into the lineup more. Maybe a platoon with Drury or just leaving Sano as a bench bat rather than the main DH.

I also think they're not doing Adell any favors. Why is Sano and Hicks getting more starts than him? Isn't this his last year with the team before he becomes a free agent?

1 minute ago, Torridd said:

I also think they're not doing Adell any favors. Why is Sano and Hooks getting more starts than him? Isn't this his last year with the team before he becomes a free agent?

Just now, Torridd said:

I also think they're not doing Adell any favors. Why is Sano and Hooks getting more starts than him? Isn't this his last year with the team before he becomes a free agent?

No, Adell doesn't become a free agent until after the 2027 season.  He's just out of options, so the Angels can't send him to the minors without exposing him to waivers.

Also, Hicks, not Hooks.  Ha.

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

No, Adell doesn't become a free agent until after the 2027 season.  He's just out of options, so the Angels can't send him to the minors without exposing him to waivers.

Also, Hicks, not Hooks.  Ha.

Thanks, I'll change it. More typo fodder, I guess.

My biggest issue with Hicks is that he went to Wilson High School.

Their school colors and cardinal and gold.  Same color scheme as USC...

Yet...

Their mascot is the Bruins.  Same as UCLA.

WTF?

That alone should get him benched or DFA'd.

7 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Yet...

WTF?

You pissed off the wrong ex-angel.

image.png

I'd cut Washington some more slack. He's new to this set of players and needs first hand game observation to really get a feel for things. Both individually  and how they sync together in the batting order.

Nine games are a minimal sample, though important. But conversely, every game counts and can't be wasted on questionable experiments. So it's a fine line. 

I'd be patient through this week, but when they go on the road I'd hope he can process what he's seen and just play the players who can best be counted on to be steady immediately. Not treating things as a longer term project. And that he tweaks the batting order accordingly. 

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

Yet...

WTF?

On the bright side, their mascot isn’t a shark.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Crikey, give him a minute. Schanuel has 37 PA. 37 PA!

Let's see how he does after his first 100. If he still looks over-matched, send him to AAA for a bit, but not a moment before.

How many?