• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

16 minutes ago, nothing, Nothing said:

you can add Wetherholt and Caglianone to that list as well. 

Yep, that's a reasonable opinion.  Chase Burns could be another, especially given the weakness at the top of the HS crop.

But I'm splitting hairs here with a distinction between "no chance" and "very small chance".  I think there's at least a small chance one of Wetherholt or Caglianone gets to us at 8 overall.

Condon, Bazzana, and Smith I think there's essentially zero chance, absent a medical issue.  They're all having monster seasons and are erasing the specific concerns teams might have had about them previously (Condon's contact, Bazzana's power, and Smith's command).

I’m still okay with drafting at #8 someone slotted to go around #15-18, if there is a really good HS pitcher to draft in later rounds with a strong college commitment, who can be swayed by the extra slot money to sign.

If they had been able to stay in the #4-6 overall picks slot, I’d then focus on best available player since there seems to be a somewhat significant difference after the top 6 eligible draftees?

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’m still okay with drafting at #8 someone slotted to go around #15-18,

I’m not. If they want to save some money for a HS pitcher later, as you suggested, then do it with the 2nd round and comp picks.

IMO, there’s a clear cut off in talent after 8-10. So lock in one of those top talents, then you can start playing around with your bonus pool.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’m still okay with drafting at #8 someone slotted to go around #15-18, if there is a really good HS pitcher to draft in later rounds with a strong college commitment, who can be swayed by the extra slot money to sign.

If they had been able to stay in the #4-6 overall picks slot, I’d then focus on best available player since there seems to be a somewhat significant difference after the top 6 eligible draftees?

Eh…I wouldn’t deviate from what Perry has been doing. It’s one of his strengths. Draft the college player closest to the bigs and get them up here. They can look for deals after that if need be.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Eh…I wouldn’t deviate from what Perry has been doing. It’s one of his strengths. Draft the college player closest to the bigs and get them up here. They can look for deals after that if need be.

We don't actually know if that is a "strength" yet, though.  Have Detmers, Neto, and Schanuel (as well as Silseth and Mederos) gotten to the majors quickly?  Absolutely.  Do we know yet how strong any of them will be overall?  Not really.  Detmers is close to truly establishing himself, but I think the jury is still out on the others.  Of course, that's natural, since they're all recent draftees.  But I think it'll be another 2-3 years before we know for sure if the strategy is a good one.

26 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

We don't actually know if that is a "strength" yet, though.  Have Detmers, Neto, and Schanuel (as well as Silseth and Mederos) gotten to the majors quickly?  Absolutely.  Do we know yet how strong any of them will be overall?  Not really.  Detmers is close to truly establishing himself, but I think the jury is still out on the others.  Of course, that's natural, since they're all recent draftees.  But I think it'll be another 2-3 years before we know for sure if the strategy is a good one.

Detmers was a Billy pick.

I’ve made this same point in the minors thread before, about how I’m not totally crazy about Perry’s farm system yet. He’s done a very good job of drafting guys who can get to the bigs quickly and not look totally lost (compared to Thaiss, Ward, Adell initially) but yeah, we don’t know if these quick to bigs guys will be legit yet or not. I think the bigger issue with these guys isn’t necessarily their production, but their health, especially the arms. Not confident Joyce, Silseth or Bachman will remain healthy enough. I have some faith in Neto and Schanuel being at least solid MLB players though.

And it’s a strength IMO when compared to other parts of Perry’s portfolio. Not wild about his FA deals. His trades have been okay. Waiver claims non-existent. Top picks, good, rest of farm meh.

I don’t think Neto and Schanuel wash out given what we’ve seen from them in their brief careers. Neto’s defense alone should make him at least a glove-first starting SP a la Nick Ahmed or something. Not earth-shattering, but dude’s probably a starting SS for most of his 20s. 

And to start a MLB career with a 30 game on-base streak a couple months removed from college - walking as much as striking out - is promising. I don’t think either will bust.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Since Detmers. 

Detmers was an excellent pick at the time...and looking good now as well.

Maybe you've forgotten: Wilson, Ward, Thaiss.  I think Adams was a huge reach at that spot too.  Adell was probably good value / risk.

I don't recall Newcomb's ranking at draft time, but i recall being happy with the selection.  Then again, i like as much pitching as possible.

4 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

Detmers was an excellent pick at the time...and looking good now as well.

Maybe you've forgotten: Wilson, Ward, Thaiss.  I think Adams was a huge reach at that spot too.  Adell was probably good value / risk.

I don't recall Newcomb's ranking at draft time, but i recall being happy with the selection.  Then again, i like as much pitching as possible.

Three different draft strategies. 

Honesty the Thaiss and Wilson draft were done under Eppler, and in both draft he decided to go under-slot for that first pick. 

2016 the year Thaiss was drafted, We also drafted;

Marsh--> traded for O'hoppe, could say that Marsh was our best pick of the Draft.

C-Rod--> High Upside, just can't stay healthy 

Williams and Duensing--> both were wildcard and unfortunately were busts 

2019 was Wilson, and honesty it's has been a crap draft for us. Most notable picks are;

Paris, Kochanowicz, Davis Daniels, Crow, and  Stalling 

2015 was the year Dipoto quit, Don't remember who the Gm was at the time; 

Most noticeable picks were; Ward, Jones, Fletcher, Long (got hurt) and Walsh 

Looking back 2015 turned out to be a nice little draft! 

46 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Honesty the Thaiss and Wilson draft were done under Eppler, and in both draft he decided to go under-slot for that first pick. 

2016 the year Thaiss was drafted, We also drafted;

Marsh--> traded for O'hoppe, could say that Marsh was our best pick of the Draft.

C-Rod--> High Upside, just can't stay healthy 

Williams and Duensing--> both were wildcard and unfortunately were busts 

2019 was Wilson, and honesty it's has been a crap draft for us. Most notable picks are;

Paris, Kochanowicz, Davis Daniels, Crow, and  Stalling 

2015 was the year Dipoto quit, Don't remember who the Gm was at the time; 

Most noticeable picks were; Ward, Jones, Fletcher, Long (got hurt) and Walsh 

Dipoto was the GM when Ward, Fletcher and Walsh were drafted. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Yeah, but the credit for that goes to Eppler’s player development staff.

Dipoto was out the door by the time those guys made legitimate changes.

One of the frustrating parts of Eppler’s tenure was he identified good coaches, but couldn’t keep them.

Andrew Bailey and Donnie Ecker are the most prominent.

For better or worse, thanks to the slow development of some and the quick promotions of others, the Angels current roster has 7 of their own 1st round picks on it. Throw in an Adams call up at some point, Bachman returning from injury, and possibly another 1st rounder this year making the team and it could go as high as 10. Not terrible for a team that ranks at the bottom of every farm system ranking every year

From: https://futurestarsseries.com/mlb-draft-mock-draft-4-0/

8. Los Angeles Angels

Chase Burns, RHP — Wake Forest
HOMETOWN: Gallatin, TN
HEIGHT: 6-4
WEIGHT: 215
BAT/THROW: R-R

chasewake.jpg

Assuming the Angels once again target fast-moving college performers, Burns legitimately has a chance to make the Angels’ opening-day roster in 2025 the stuff is so damn good. He’s a stuff-over-command pitcher who gets by blowing his arsenal through hitters. This assumes the Angels are on the same path they’ve been the last few years.

With Shohei Ohtani gone, maybe the club looks to target high-ceiling preps once again. Angels brass have been in to see Griffin a ton this spring and he seems to be of considerable interest to the organization.

PS this publication has the Pirates taking Wetherholt right after us, so I am saying there is a chance. 

Honesty I really don't know how this draft will work out, it pretty deep in the top 10 that you can say each guy has the upside to go 1. I looked at the teams, and It'll be interesting to see what each does, but I made my own mock draft; 

1. Guardians--> JJ Wetherholt, I would not be surprised if the guardians select JJ and try to go under-slot with the first pick. I've heard rumors that this may happen with JJ due to the time he's missed.

2. Reds--> Smith, The have a really good group of young position players, and seem to being be moving away from rebuilding. I think Smith is a perfect pick here for them due to there need of pitching.   

3. Rockies--> Kurtz falls here and probably is the perfect spot. Rockies need have a solid group of young outfield talent in their system, however they lack a true 1st basemsn. which Kurtz would fulfil for them. 

4. Oakland--> Charlie Condon would be a big pick for them

5. White Sox--> Travis bazzana

6. Royals, Seaver King, This is another surprise pick but I think it's solid pick for the Royals with a mind set of going under-slot. They already have Witt at SS, but the addition of King would give them a solid up the middle combo and a solid 1,2 punch in the line-up

7. St Louis-->  Burns, St Louis is in a limbo and a team with a major need for pitching. At the pick, the hope is the Burns get to the MLB by next year and he has the stuff to do so. While also providing them with a solid 1,2 combo at the top of the rotation. 

8. Angels--> Montgomery, Still think this is the best pick here. he has the potential to be a 5-tool player.

9. Pirates--> Jac Cagiianone 

10. White Sox--> Konnor Griffin,  White Sox are in a clear rebuild, this takes a hs guy with big upside. 

18 hours ago, totdprods said:

Detmers was a Billy pick.

I’ve made this same point in the minors thread before, about how I’m not totally crazy about Perry’s farm system yet. He’s done a very good job of drafting guys who can get to the bigs quickly and not look totally lost (compared to Thaiss, Ward, Adell initially) but yeah, we don’t know if these quick to bigs guys will be legit yet or not. I think the bigger issue with these guys isn’t necessarily their production, but their health, especially the arms. Not confident Joyce, Silseth or Bachman will remain healthy enough. I have some faith in Neto and Schanuel being at least solid MLB players though.

And it’s a strength IMO when compared to other parts of Perry’s portfolio. Not wild about his FA deals. His trades have been okay. Waiver claims non-existent. Top picks, good, rest of farm meh.

I think we should temper this opinion against the likely fact that Perry has been  told to try and win now, which would skew what might be a normal, preferred strategy from Minasian. If that is his mandate it will force him to make "uncharacteristic" decisions in support of that.

22 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

That is exactly my concern with Charlie Condon.   His Cape Cod numbers, albeit first time there, were pedestrian.

Someone like Weatherholt (Big-12) makes more sense to draft, as Condon seems to be mainly a power hitter.

Weatherholt has an all around game (SBs, OBP, solid enough power for INF).

That Aussie kid is lighting it up despite pitching in the Pac 12 where offenses have been down.  Not sure what his upside is tools wise, but he seems to have a very "pro" approach at the plate.  Plus anyone that was playing against grown men at 15 is if nothing else somewhat tested.

11 hours ago, BTH said:

One of the frustrating parts of Eppler’s tenure was he identified good coaches, but couldn’t keep them.

Andrew Bailey and Donnie Ecker are the most prominent.

Hard to keep coaches when other teams will pay better.  Once again, this is an Arte problem.  At one point the Angels had one of the larger analytics departments under Eppler after not having had one at all.  But, when things didn't go the way Arte wanted he wasn't allow to grow it and it's been one of the smaller units since. 

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hard to keep coaches when other teams will pay better.  Once again, this is an Arte problem.  At one point the Angels had one of the larger analytics departments under Eppler after not having had one at all.  But, when things didn't go the way Arte wanted he wasn't allow to grow it and it's been one of the smaller units since. 

Pencil neck geeks can't hit!

55 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

well, Eppler could've kept Bailey and Ecker by offering them the promotions they were getting in other orgs, but he decided to stick with Callaway/Wise as pitching coach and Reed as hitting coach.

Though, yes, Arte's lack of investment in PD is a factor.

Edited by BTH

2 hours ago, ettin said:

I think we should temper this opinion against the likely fact that Perry has been  told to try and win now, which would skew what might be a normal, preferred strategy from Minasian. If that is his mandate it will force him to make "uncharacteristic" decisions in support of that.

Wouldn’t that align with taking players in earliest drafts who can reach bigs quickest, and maybe not be the ‘best’ overall pick? That’s why I’m suggesting they probably do the same this year since they still seem to be in compete mode. It maybe being Perry’s last year could further that too.

Or are you saying years prior it’s been win now, and they can take a more relaxed approach now?

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

That Aussie kid is lighting it up despite pitching in the Pac 12 where offenses have been down.  Not sure what his upside is tools wise, but he seems to have a very "pro" approach at the plate.  Plus anyone that was playing against grown men at 15 is if nothing else somewhat tested.

I've seen a lot of Bazzana out here, but only Wetherholt a bit on TV.  There are a lot of similarities.

I think Wetherholt might be a bit better pure hitter.  Bazzana's swing is a bit long and has a shoulder tilt that makes him naturally uppercut.  But he covers the plate well and hits to all fields well.  Bazzana is showing surprising power this year, but I think in the pro game he's more like a 10-15 HR kind of guy.

One separator might be Bazzana's compete level.  He's intense.  He's like Lenny Dykstra minus the tobacco and the off-field nonsense.