• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Draft Thread

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-may-2

8. Angels: JJ Wetherholt, SS/2B, West Virginia (No. 8)
Hamstring issues kept Wetherholt off the field for a chunk of this spring and it’s concerned some because it’s a recurring injury. He spent last weekend at shortstop and assuming he hits like he always does once he gets going, he could sneak back up into top-five talk easily.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2024 at 12:59 PM, Dave Saltzer said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-may-2

8. Angels: JJ Wetherholt, SS/2B, West Virginia (No. 8)
Hamstring issues kept Wetherholt off the field for a chunk of this spring and it’s concerned some because it’s a recurring injury. He spent last weekend at shortstop and assuming he hits like he always does once he gets going, he could sneak back up into top-five talk easily.

Another guy with Hammy issues! 

sue season 4 GIF by PBS

I do think the focus shoudl be on the Best Player Available! If JJ is available at 8, I think you have to pull the plug and take  a shot. He has the chance to be a 5-tool player!   

I also think that they should focus on the offense side d/t to the lack of offensive upside in the  system. I am happy with the pitching depth that Is coming up and this draft has some really good college offense bats. You could  have guys like Amick, Sirota, Thomas all available with the second pick. 

13 hours ago, Turd Ferguson said:

It seems that there is a clear top 8 developing. 8 might not be the worst spot this season. Wetherholt's health is a concern but he was a potential 1-1 guy coming into the season.

What I would really hate to see is us passing on the top guy in favor of a guy that we can "rush" to the majors. 

I’m not sweating who they draft so much (best player or quickest to bigs player) because I think the priority should be how they can make their first four picks the best. It might mean going under slot for the first-round (which won’t be popular) but truth is, we really need the best four prospects we can get versus the best/most-ready first-rounder. It’s not a deep draft and we finally have a decent number of early round picks, so they really need to make the most of those four. I’d sacrifice an A+ first-rounder if it meant the difference in getting two B-B+ prospects with our third and fourth picks, rather than resorting to hunting for bargains there already. That’s part of how we wound up with guys like Kent and Dana.

Things are fucking bleak but Neto, Schanuel and O’Hoppe are not total busts. Dana and Fontenelle have looked good enough to trust their amateur scouting. If they can sell the right pieces this deadline and draft strong this summer I do have some faith that the ship can start to right quickly.

Edited by totdprods

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’m not sweating who they draft so much (best player or quickest to bigs player) because I think the priority should be how they can make their first four picks the best. It might mean going under slot for the first-round (which won’t be popular) but truth is, we really need the best four prospects we can get versus the best/most-ready first-rounder. It’s not a deep draft and we finally have a decent number of early round picks, so they really need to make the most of those four. I’d sacrifice an A+ first-rounder if it meant the difference in getting two B-B+ prospects with our third and fourth picks, rather than resorting to hunting for bargains there already. That’s part of how we wound up with guys like Kent and Dana.

Things are fucking bleak but Neto, Schanuel and O’Hoppe are not total busts. Dana and Fontenelle have looked good enough to trust their amateur scouting. If they can sell the right pieces this deadline and draft strong this summer I do have some faith that the ship can start to right quickly.

Also don’t forget Silseth and Barrett or Kent, whoever that guy is.  

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

When was the last time the prognosticators were right about an Angel draft pick?  If so which guy do you trust?

It's nonsense.

The only people in the industry who actually get the "we are hearing..." type comments based in reality are at Baseball America, and ONLY either the day before or the morning of the draft.  That's it.

Any writer saying "the Angels are targeting" or "we hear they are interested in" in May about the draft are flat out making it up.

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

When was the last time the prognosticators were right about an Angel draft pick?  If so which guy do you trust?  The one having us draft the hamstring guy or this one, who is hedging by giving three names?

Law nailed it last time:

“All the names here now are fast-to-the-majors college types, and Schanuel might be one of the fastest because he’s hit for contact and power at exceptional rates and you’re not waiting on growth or projection.”

Granted, that was much closer to the draft. I’m not saying that he’s gonna be right, just that I’d be upset if it played out like he suggested.

Yesavage has moved way up to #11 in MLB.com’s top 100 draft prospects.

Good mix of pitches, heater sits 93-95 and peaks at 98.  Was a reliever as freshman and standout starter as soph and junior, wouldn’t be a much under slot guy and can never have enough pitching.

If there is enough hitting tools available with the following 3 Halos picks, I can see this pick happening.  Schanuel was a much more under slot guy.

IMG_1729.png

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, BTH said:

if this happens, we’re cooked

Why are people losing their shit over this?   Do you not like the player or is it the suggestion that they are targeting him because they think he would progress quickly?

I know Twitter is losing their shit over this but people should really look at the actual player or in this case, the results. He's put up video game numbers while pitching in one of college's hitter friendly conferences.

He wasn't a preseason first team All American candidate because he sucks, he's arguably the best college RHP in the draft after Burns who is likely being overrated because he can throw 100 but is essentially a two pitch guy.  Yesavage can touch 98, has four legit pitches and three different pitches that make hitters look stupid.

He's also more physical than most of the guys the Angels have been drafting.

38 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yesavage feels a little too much of a Silseth meets Bachman-type for me to be super excited about him yet. Something about his profile strikes me as an oft-injured/better in relief type.

Yesavage has significantly better movement and more depth pitch wise than either of those guys.  He's also improved the one area he had been iffy in, allowing HRs.  

It's always difficult to predict injuries, but I get that same vibe watching Chase Burns pitch.  He's got a smaller frame, his entire game is based on his power FB/Slider and never throws his change and barely ever throws his curve.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yesavage has significantly better movement and more depth pitch wise than either of those guys.  He's also improved the one area he had been iffy in, allowing HRs.  

It's always difficult to predict injuries, but I get that same vibe watching Chase Burns pitch.  He's got a smaller frame, his entire game is based on his power FB/Slider and never throws his change and barely ever throws his curve.

The more I think about it, the more Burns is a risk like Bachman was.

A solid 4 pitch guy with enough durability is who they need.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Always good to hear your thoughts @Inside Pitch, makes me feel better about Yesavage. Perhaps because he initially started as a reliever the mileage isn’t quite there yet and he’ll hold up better than Burns. 

Truthfully the system is so thin on talent that really anybody pick will be a needed addition. I just hope it’s not reactionary or short-sighted. They really need a deep, balanced draft this summer.

29 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Why are people losing their shit over this?   Do you not like the player or is it the suggestion that they are targeting him because they think he would progress quickly?

For me, my issue is that I believe there’s a clear top 8 (Bazzana/Condon/Caglianone/Kurtz/Montgomery/Smith/Burns/Wetherholt) in this draft class and then a significant fall off.

So I want one of those top 8 players, and anything other than that feels like a mistake IMO.

25 minutes ago, BTH said:

For me, my issue is that I believe there’s a clear top 8 (Bazzana/Condon/Caglianone/Kurtz/Montgomery/Smith/Burns/Wetherholt) in this draft class and then a significant fall off.

So I want one of those top 8 players, and anything other than that feels like a mistake IMO

I'd prefer a hitter, but I find it interesting you think Burns is a surer thing than the guy with the better pitcher's body and larger repertoire.

I was all over George Kirby the year he was draft eligible.  Ditto, Logan Gilbert.  Yesavage is a similar guy imo.  Physically mature with some projection left, four very good pitches, three of them legit out pitches and like those other guys he might be getting underrated due to the conference he's in.  

I think he's better than a lot of the hyped guys.