• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Network Radio: Arte about to sell?

MLB Network Radio host Jim Memolo said today that somebody who has worked in MLB told him “the #Angels are about to sell.”

“Arte Moreno’s about to sell, according to this person.”

The same person also speculated Mark Cuban as a potential buyer.

probably a nothing burger - I’m waiting for Piodeportes, but maybe it is something. 

This whole selling business is just a distraction.

First, whoever buys may not have interest in operating as a large or even a mid market team, so payroll seems equally as likely to go down as it is to go up.

Second, even if payroll goes up, it doesn't mean the Angels will be winners. Look at Steve Cohen and the Mets.

Third, can anyone here tell me who owns the Rangers without looking it up? How about the Braves? D-Backs? Strong organizations, but not necessarily an owner that puts himself out there. 

Fourth, new ownership likely means new front office, which means even more turnover for an organization already wrecked from the turnover from the last decade.

I honestly don't care who the owner is, as much as I care what ownership does. Hopefully Arte keeps some consistency in the front office and the dugout moving forward. And hopefully he starts seriously investing in the farm, and hopefully he can get the ballpark situation squared away. But it doesn't matter to me if that's Arte or someone else. 

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

First, whoever buys may not have interest in operating as a large or even a mid market team, so payroll seems equally as likely to go down as it is to go up.

Second, even if payroll goes up, it doesn't mean the Angels will be winners. Look at Steve Cohen and the Mets.

Third, can anyone here tell me who owns the Rangers without looking it up? How about the Braves? D-Backs? Strong organizations, but not necessarily an owner that puts himself out there. 

Fourth, new ownership likely means new front office, which means even more turnover for an organization already wrecked from the turnover from the last decade.

I honestly don't care who the owner is, as much as I care what ownership does. Hopefully Arte keeps some consistency in the front office and the dugout moving forward. And hopefully he starts seriously investing in the farm, and hopefully he can get the ballpark situation squared away. But it doesn't matter to me if that's Arte or someone else. 

Sooo Arte is selling?

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

Ray Davis, Liberty Media, and Ken Kendrick.

Not sure what your point is?

If the Angels are really moving forward now on an ownership change, it seems most likely that the new owner would be one of the potential buyers from the last time he was going to sell.

If may part of the overall rumor is incorrect, I would bet on Cuban as the buyer being the incorrect part.

And that’s what I would hope anyway, as Cuban isn’t somebody I would be excited about as a new owner.

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

The Angels will never win with Arte.

Also this is just the type of random speculation I would expect right now. Take that thing that almost happened last year but didn't, speculate it might happen this year, and attach a big name to it.

Also I think Cuban was already denied by MLB when he tried to buy a team over a decade ago.

45 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If the Angels are really moving forward now on an ownership change, it seems most likely that the new owner would be one of the potential buyers from the last time he was going to sell.

If may part of the overall rumor is incorrect, I would bet on Cuban as the buyer being the incorrect part.

And that’s what I would hope anyway, as Cuban isn’t somebody I would be excited about as a new owner.

Nope. He had one group give him a formal offer, and he rejected it.

30 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Also this is just the type of random speculation I would expect right now. Take that thing that almost happened last year but didn't, speculate it might happen this year, and attach a big name to it.

Also I think Cuban was already denied by MLB when he tried to buy a team over a decade ago.

The Cuban name seems like random speculation to me.  But the speculation that there could be a deal happening isn’t exactly “random” speculation.  He was willing to sell before.  He was well into the process before.  He changed his mind with the only explanation being the “unfinished business” which was never exactly defined.  Ohtani was unique enough that trying to win with him certainly could have been a big part of Moreno’s change of heart.  Ohtani is now gone.  Moreno is 100 years old.  His family doesn’t want to run the team when he is gone.  So he IS going to sell the team at some point.  The Orioles just announced a deal.  It is almost unbelievable that those interested in buying the Orioles would not be actively checking on the Angels, potentially creating a temptation for Moreno to either sell to one of those buyers or to revive the deal with a previous bidder. 

So I don’t think it is “random” speculation as much as it is reasonable speculation.

This is the only thing I've gotten excited about so far this offseason.  

I had three things that would make me happy this off season

Keep Ohtani 
Rendon retires
Arte sells the team.  

I mentioned I would be happy with one of them.  

The Angels had a really good offseason last year IMO and did a ton right.  And it was actually working to some degree until injuries piled up like crazy and then they shit the bed at the deadline and went into full desperation mode.  They showered their girlfriend with shiny baubles in hopes she wouldn't leave.  Then some dude with a big goober came along and handed her three quarters of a billion dollars.  

They're actually having an underrated offseason this year as well.  At least so far.  Especially considering that they don't matchup well with the player pool and their current needs.  But as long as Arte is around there's a chance the team could do something that doesn't make sense for them to produce a sustainable winning product.  

Yes, a new owner could be worse.  At this point, I'll take our chances.  

19 hours ago, Second Base said:

I own the Braves. I have a paper that says so. You're right. I tone it down and try not to be too flashy.