• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

O'Hoppe

There's been much chatter in fandom and the media that Logan's going to take off. I'm concerned that he may face undue pressure. What do you think about this? Is it any different from any pressure of our top picks? Wood, Adell, etc.?

29 minutes ago, Torridd said:

There's been much chatter in fandom and the media that Logan's going to take off. I'm concerned that he may face undue pressure. What do you think about this? Is it any different from any pressure of our top picks? Wood, Adell, etc.?

Not sure what you mean by "undue pressure." He's a young player getting his sea legs as an everyday regular, playing on a team unlikely to be in the playoff hunt. He's also playing a position that the Angels have been historically weak on, with no real standout stars except for the stray good season here and there. Sure, there's pressure from being a well-regarded prospect, but I don't see it as "undue." 

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

This is part of a players development, dealing with the pressure. 

Do you think a playoff contending team is concerned about "undue pressure" on their players? Of course not. 

Kid's going to have to deal with it at some point, the sooner the better. 

He's already better that Wood and Adell combined, so I'm not worried about him, and it will be exciting to watch him this season in a position we've sorely needed improvement in for so long. 

@jsnpritchett?

I don't have unrealistic expectations but I do think he is going to be a special player for the Angels. We have barely seen what he is capable of but if you look at his rookies season, derailed by a shoulder injury, he still put up a 111 OPS+ with 14 home runs in just 182 at bats. That is similar to Napoli that wasn't injured. 

If you want to believe he is going to be another no bat, no defense catcher, knock yourself out with doubt. You've got plenty of failed prospects to point to as supporting evidence. I just think you will find yourself on the wrong side of the O'Hoppe argument. 

31 minutes ago, Blarg said:

@jsnpritchett?

I don't have unrealistic expectations but I do think he is going to be a special player for the Angels. We have barely seen what he is capable of but if you look at his rookies season, derailed by a shoulder injury, he still put up a 111 OPS+ with 14 home runs in just 182 at bats. That is similar to Napoli that wasn't injured. 

If you want to believe he is going to be another no bat, no defense catcher, knock yourself out with doubt. You've got plenty of failed prospects to point to as supporting evidence. I just think you will find yourself on the wrong side of the O'Hoppe argument. 

Nah, I actually think he's going to be really good! I just like ribbing you about the Carter comp.  I just always take a cautious approach in terms of specific comps early on. He's a fun player to root for and I obviously hope he's closer to Gary Carter than Jeff Mathis.

I don’t think there is much pressure on anyone with the Angels this season. The expectation is 0, and I think most everyone in the media thinks it’s a 90-100 loss team and they should just cut bait and trade Trout. 

As for O’hoppe what we really need is him to handle the pitching staff and guide them all to good seasons, that will be the key. The guy is going to hit 

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I think it is important for Thaiss to continue to develop and keep O'Hoppe from wearing down.....a serviceable back up catcher is a big part of a roster....

Or there’s Francisco Mejía (signed minor league deal) as another backup option.

Defense has been decent, and he does hit some.

6 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

A healthy OHoppe catching well and hitting well is extremely exciting.  I have always been enamored with the advantage of having a potent bat attached to an excellent defensive catcher.

What a luxury.

Supposedly he is a great clubhouse guy on top of the good fielding and potential in the bat, so he just sounds like a solid all-around player and the Angels need that now and long-term. Hopefully he stays healthy and productive.

Logan's exit velos don't suggest that 40 HR is in his future. But he does have the bat speed and physique to justify an optimistic view on his power outcome. 

If he stays healthy, and gets 120 starts behind the plate, I think he could crank out 20-25 HR's.

And keep in mind, before Thaiss wore down, he was getting on base at a .364 clip too. I think the Angels are going to have one of the best offensive catching tandems in baseball. Having a guy like Mejia on hand in AAA is a huge benefit. 

9 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't think he will be getting extra pressure, but some (mostly fans) may have unrealistic expectations of him. 

Yup. It's not going to be pressure, the issue may end up being that he's simply not as good as the hype people here have placed on him. 

I think that hes gona be a good player, but at this point I feel like the hype is at a level approaching where Trout was around his debut.