• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Robert Stephenson (3 years, $33 million), DFA Rivas

5 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

We don't sign anyone, and people complain.  We sign someone, and people complain.  

One of the areas we needed help with was the bullpen.  Now, with Estevez and Stephenson, the bullpen is a lot better.  

We now have a good young core of position players, a good group of young starters, and an improved bullpen.  

This team is better than some of you think. 

I Hope this works out but also worried about Estevez second half. Signing him to 3 years maybe this year halos do not compete for playoffs but a building block for 2 years after this year.

22 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Or the Aaron Loup of the BP.

Loup had some decent numbers before we signed him but not like this guy last year….we’ll see how it translates…I wouldn’t bet on it but maybe he (and others) give Wash a chance to keep Estévez fresh…🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

Loup had some decent numbers before we signed him but not like this guy last year….we’ll see how it translates…I wouldn’t bet on it but maybe he (and others) give Wash a chance to keep Estévez fresh…🤷‍♂️

Maybe other signings to come. I do wonder with so many teams after him did halos outbid other teams?

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Robert Stephenson (3 years, $33 million)
7 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Maybe other signings to come. I do wonder with so many teams after him did halos outbid other teams?

Thought the same thing…everybody is skeptical I guess….same as Anderson last year…

I'm a big fan of Stephenson. When he was a prospect he was pure rocket fuel and vinegar. He fought like a bulldog and threw three solid pitches. He really had a shot at starting, but looking back, that dog in him made him perfect for bullpen work. His stuff is equally as impressive now, if not more so. It was gonna click for him eventually and now it has. 

I think he's going to be one of the better relievers in baseball, and if the Angels are in it, they could trade him, hopefully for a better package than they got for Raisel Iglesias. 

52 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm inherently skeptical of anyone (pitcher or position player) who has such a dramatic turnaround in a short period of time.  Obviously, if whatever he "unlocked" with the Rays is sustainable, then great!  He'll be an awesome addition.  I just hope he's not the Zack Cozart of the bullpen.

The reason to believe, the new pitch unlocked it all.  The reason not to believe, his career. 

The nice thing is its not a pitch that requires command, so it shouldn't be a pitch that he needs to throw for strikes for it to be a weapon.

Also, relievers are flakes 

Stephenson was just a fastball/slider guy before, but the cutter that he added after being traded to the Rays really set him apart and as a result was one of the best relievers in the game. 

The cutter generated a 59.9% whiff rate that was second-highest in the league among all pitch types. It helped him generate a career-best 38.8% strikeout rate, 24.0% swinging strike percentage and 30.4 K-BB% that was second-best among qualified relievers.

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm a big fan of Stephenson. When he was a prospect he was pure rocket fuel and vinegar. He fought like a bulldog and threw three solid pitches. He really had a shot at starting, but looking back, that dog in him made him perfect for bullpen work. His stuff is equally as impressive now, if not more so. It was gonna click for him eventually and now it has. 

I think he's going to be one of the better relievers in baseball, and if the Angels are in it, they could trade him, hopefully for a better package than they got for Raisel Iglesias. 

I wouldn’t trade him if we’re in it….I would trade him, and pretty much anybody else but the young core guys, if we’re not within striking distance at the deadline.

2 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Stephenson was just a fastball/slider guy before, but the cutter that he added after being traded to the Rays really set him apart and as a result was one of the best relievers in the game. 

The cutter generated a 59.9% whiff rate that was second-highest in the league among all pitch types. It helped him generate a career-best 38.8% strikeout rate, 24.0% swinging strike percentage and 30.4 K-BB% that was second-best among qualified relievers.

And he doesn't have to throw it for a strike for it to work.

29 minutes ago, mmc said:

As it stands we got Estevez-Stephenson-Soriano-Joyce-Bachman-Garcia-Cimber-Suarez as our likely bullpen when healthy

I think Bachman could be in minors if they want to make him a starter. Another lefty in pen A. Chapman, Moore or maybe Kolarek.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I Hope this works out but also worried about Estevez second half. Signing him to 3 years maybe this year halos do not compete for playoffs but a building block for 2 years after this year.

Something worth noting about Estévez:

1st half:

29.3% K%

12.2% BB%

91.6 mph EV

.293 BABIP

2nd half:

26.1% K%

9.7% BB%

89.3 mph EV

.397 BABIP

His second half was bad, but it’s not like his peripherals dropped off a ton.

I think it had to do with regression to the mean, poor BABIP luck, and exhaustion from a heavy 1st half workload.

Edited by BTH