• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Robert Stephenson (3 years, $33 million), DFA Rivas

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if we see Stephenson start games at some point during the life of this contract, especially if he isn’t crushing it in relief after the first few months of the deal. 

I’m not bummed we signed him but I’m real skeptical of any recent reliever leaving the Rays and maintaining success they unlocked there. Most not only were ineffective but injured or out of baseball. 

Edited by totdprods

I’ve been critical of Perry but if there’s anything giving 3/33 to a non-closer RP says, it’s that they are not done. You don’t do that if you are rebuilding and unless you plan to build the team. It’s a pretty low roster priority overall. 

One thing I’ve thought lately is that I’m not 100% sure Schanuel starts OD. He showed great signs and got on base, but if you’re trying to win, even just kind of trying, you need more power from 1B. Definitely wouldn’t mind Hoskins or Turner. Hoskins fits better as a LHB. 

Also don’t see how/why they keep both Rengifo and Drury. But maybe they will. 

4 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I’ve been critical of Perry but if there’s anything giving 3/33 to a non-closer RP says, it’s that they are not done. You don’t do that if you are rebuilding and unless you plan to build the team. It’s a pretty low roster priority overall. 

One thing I’ve thought lately is that I’m not 100% sure Schanuel starts OD. He showed great signs and got on base, but if you’re trying to win, even just kind of trying, you need more power from 1B. Definitely wouldn’t mind Hoskins or Turner. Hoskins fits better as a LHB. 

I’ve been maintaining for a while that it makes sense to add a 1B/DH type and Hoskins certainly makes sense. It’s not that I doubt Schanuel isn’t good enough or not worth getting his development in at the MLB level, but his pro experience is still lacking enough that starting in AAA would not be detrimental. Wouldn’t hurt him to get some reps in the outfield too so he has a little more versatility this early in his career. He’ll get plenty of time to play in Anaheim this year still. Good teams have good depth and if that means Schanuel starts at AAA with Hoskins ahead of him, it’s not a bad thing.

17 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Hoskins bats right handed bud 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

You need a deep BP if Anderson is in rotation.

Anderson sometimes (not always) pitched pretty well the first time through the lineup, then would get hammered. You can’t put everybody in the pen but I wonder what he might do there, more as 2/3 inning guy. I know he’s getting paid starter money but if he has no trade value (he doesn’t), why not give it a look? 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Anderson sometimes (not always) pitched pretty well the first time through the lineup, then would get hammered. You can’t put everybody in the pen but I wonder what he might do there, more as 2/3 inning guy. I know he’s getting paid starter money but if he has no trade value (he doesn’t), why not give it a look? 🤷‍♂️

I would 

5 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Think Rengifo and Drury would be really good trade chips at the trade deadline, if they have similar seasons to last year.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think I read a tweet saying the deal will be finalized today and it includes a 4th year team option for $2.5 million if he suffers an arm injury requiring TJ in any of the other seasons. 
Or I dreamt that. 

Nope u didn't dream it you are correct 

39 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Listening to MLB radio yesterday and they were ripping the Angels for giving him that kind of money.  They said the Angels didn't learn their lesson with one year wonder guys and gave Anderson As a example 

They're not wrong.....until Stephenson proves he's worth the risk...

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Listening to MLB radio yesterday and they were ripping the Angels for giving him that kind of money.  They said the Angels didn't learn their lesson with one year wonder guys and gave Anderson As a example 

Yeah, I mentioned this felt like Tyler Anderson all over again. Think they had to overpay to land him and I don’t think the Angels spending here means “oh they are gonna spend! You don’t do this without spending big elsewhere!”

Also why I think there’s a chance Stephenson was paid this (and maybe given a health-contingent 4th year option) the Halos consider converting him back to a SP, as the contract is comparable to other RP turned SP such as Hicks, Lugo, Lopez, Lorenzen, etc.

Which honestly makes me like the deal more.

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

They’re not wrong, but let’s see how this season plays out. At least Stephenson has good stuff. If Stephenson is good and Anderson bounces back, things don’t look as bad.

Clearly, the Angels pitching support staff didn’t help Anderson as much as the Dodgers did. Now working with Enright, I’m hopeful Anderson will be better. One thing Enright mentioned, and you can see it in the data, is that Anderson overexposed his changeup early in counts.

With LA, he used his fastball to set up the changeup later in counts. With the Angels, he used the changeup more earlier in counts, chasing whiffs and overexposing the changeup. Same goes for using the changeup a lot early in the game and then not having an out pitch to use later in the game.