• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Robert Stephenson (3 years, $33 million), DFA Rivas

I like this move.  Let's be honest, we're not swimming in the ocean...we're in the kiddies pool.  There is only so much Min can do right now.  It's a very risky move -- both a RP and his limited recent turnaround success.  But that's the option in the kid pool.  It's better than some $250-300M risk.  If he goes bad, ok it's not a killer.  If he is the real deal, fantastic -- you have him for three years.  Which means could also trade him eventually down the road for a big return as a seller.  Min needs to take these types of risks...smaller, but potentially big returns.

Bottom line is that he makes the team better if he maintains his recent form. 

Should be interesting to see how the new manager and pitching coach use the bullpen. And how the players respond. Pitching is such a delicate process and even little tweaks and adjustments can make a big difference. I'm curious to see how Estevez responds. If he can revert back to his first half form he and Stephenson can be a formidable high end pair in the late innings. 

I think it's kind of interesting that several folks seem to be concerned about Estevez because of his bad second half last season, yet several people seem totally fine with (and even excited by) the Stephenson signing, even though he's been mediocre overall in his career with the exception of his second half last season.

25 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think it's kind of interesting that several folks seem to be concerned about Estevez because of his bad second half last season, yet several people seem totally fine with (and even excited by) the Stephenson signing, even though he's been mediocre overall in his career with the exception of his second half last season.

It's all goes to what have you done for me lately. 

36 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Two different things here.

Estevez was clearly overworked and just hit a wall. His velo was down and his command suffered.

Stephenson learned a new pitch while with the Rays (Thanks, Tampa Bay Rays coaching staff) and as a result of the cutter which was nearly unhittable, it helped out his other offerings (Fastball, Slider, Splitter) as well. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Gimme 1st half Estevez & 2nd half Stephenson...Carberto Stestevez.

Edited by Mark68

As unsexy as this offseason has been, I do like this overall approach. Shore up depth with calculated moves that don’t hamstring the future.  If the arms aren’t there to help the rotation at a reasonable cost, keep building out the pen to compensate. The SP FA options are much stronger next year and by then we should have a better idea on the young guys development curve. 

While it won’t impact 2024, I do like the idea of a 2-yr get healthy gamble on Brandon Woodruff.  

Also, I know many of us have written off Suarez, but he is only a year removed from being a quality back-end innings eater.  I think the pitch clock probably messed with him a bit.  If Enright can get him back on track, that would be huge for our young starters adjusting to a heavier workload  

Keep raising the floor Perry.  

Yep. I really hope Stephenson turns out to be the real deal, but I'm going to hold my judgment until he proves it for more than 30 innings. Relievers are often a crapshoot from season to season.

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No one we talk about today will be the best reliever in 2026. 

Well, the team will be paying him to be one of the better relievers in 2026. 

It's a good move if they are correct, but very few relievers show that much value over 3 years of a FA contract, especially not guys who have only done it for a partial season later in their career.

Their best bet is hope he has an excellent first half and then move him at the deadline.

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

I find it hilarious we signed one of the best relievers on the market and still everyone is a total twat about it. Well done Angel fans. 

Taken in the context of what we've seen so far--that Minasian's moves so far imply more treading water--it seems odd to pay premium dollars on a reliever. Meaning, the type of player that either a contender signs to strengthen an already solid bullpen, or part of a larger group of moves by a team making a run of it. The Angels aren't the former and have shown no signs of being the latter.

But really, judgment should be reserved until the end of the postseason. 

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Taken in the context of what we've seen so far--that Minasian's moves so far imply more treading water--it seems odd to pay premium dollars on a reliever. Meaning, the type of player that either a contender signs to strengthen an already solid bullpen, or part of a larger group of moves by a team making a run of it. The Angels aren't the former and have shown no signs of being the latter.

But really, judgment should be reserved until the end of the postseason. 

Signing Stephenson is exactly a sign of being the latter. There’s virtually no chance that they are done spending or acquiring players. 

Signing Stephenson now makes Estevez expendable and the high cost of relief pitchers makes his contract tradeable.  So they could go sign Moore, trade Estevez, save money and use it towards the starter they’ll sign. 

Yep.

I view the addition of the cutter as a potentially career changing thing but his career shows the sort of RP volatility that makes non-closer RPs a bad investment.  

There is reason to believe the uptick was real or even be optimistic but his career is what it is.  If last season was a breakthrough then maybe the Angels added a RP that can be of real value when the youth plays up.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Signing Stephenson now makes Estevez expendable and the high cost of relief pitchers makes his contract tradeable.  So they could go sign Moore, trade Estevez, save money and use it towards the starter they’ll sign. 

Or keep Estevez and potentially have a strong back end of the pen that doesn’t wear down after the All Star break…

11 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

This reminds me of the Angels signing Gary Matthews Jr. for some reason. 

Nah...   That one made zero sense. Mathews really hadn't changed anything about his game, he was the same guy he had always been, he just lucked into a .343 BABIP and as it turns out, was taking HGH,

GMJ was far and away Stoneman's biggest mistake.

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don't think anyone on the roster is currently expendable, least of all anyone pitching out of the back end of the pen.  They really need to keep adding depth pieces and the pen remains a massive question-mark.

If you mean Estevez becomes a valuable trade piece should the Angels be hopelessly out of it at the deadline, I agree.  

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nah...   That one made zero sense. Mathews really hadn't changed anything about his game, he was the same guy he had always been, he just lucked into a .343 BABIP and as it turns out, was taking HGH,

GMJ was far and away Stoneman's biggest mistake.

It reminds me of GMJ because it's the Angels signing a guy who had an 1 unreal season and signing them to a multiyear contract.  I know they're different players and different positions, it just reminds me of that. 

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If you mean Estevez becomes a valuable trade piece should the Angels be hopelessly out of it at the deadline, I agree.  

Thats always been the case. My point is if you have a budget it’s one way of moving dollar to spend those dollars elsewhere.