• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024 Minor League Stats, Scouting, Updates, and Reports Thread

On 4/11/2024 at 11:09 AM, eaterfan said:

I don't get the hype with Rada. It's fun to daydream because he's so young, but what is the upside? He's small and has no pop. He has good command of the zone, but as the pitchers get more control as he moves up he will probably walk less. He doesn't seem to have the power to keep pitchers from throwing strikes. I get that power is the last thing to develop, but it's not like he's 6' 2" and skinny with a frame to add more weight. There's the occasional Altuve, but I don't like the odds of Rada being close to that. What does he project as in the big leagues? CF David Eckstein?

Really hard not to love any player that finishes a full season as the youngest player at their respective MiLB level, showing an advanced plate approach (13.5% BB/18.1% K) and elite defense at a premium position (MiLB Gold Glove award winner).

56 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wantz didn’t go past a couple innings and 30ish pitches, so I wonder if he’s on his way to the pen.

I don't really get the point of him switching back to the bullpen already, if that's in fact what's happening.  Given that he just pitched a couple innings tonight, it's not like he'd be available immediately to help the big league club, anyway.  Even if they do decide to call him up if Stephenson is out for an extended period of time, I don't see the harm in letting him go at least 3 or 4 innings per outing in the minors right now to sort of hedge their bet either way.

27 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't really get the point of him switching back to the bullpen already, if that's in fact what's happening.  Given that he just pitched a couple innings tonight, it's not like he'd be available immediately to help the big league club, anyway.  Even if they do decide to call him up if Stephenson is out for an extended period of time, I don't see the harm in letting him go at least 3 or 4 innings per outing in the minors right now to sort of hedge their bet either way.

Probably more that they need a guy who can go multiple innings with Fulmer probably taxed now, and Suarez not really showing signs of life. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Probably more that they need a guy who can go multiple innings with Fulmer probably taxed now, and Suarez not really showing signs of life. 

Right, but my point is, he's probably not capable of going multiple innings for at least 2-3 days at this point, given that he went two innings tonight. 

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Right, but my point is, he's probably not capable of going multiple innings for at least 2-3 days at this point, given that he went two innings tonight. 

Well he was stretched out beyond that, so he didn’t completely empty the tank, and I doubt he’ll be with the team cross-country tomorrow….perhaps they’re looking ahead to Cincy and having him meet there, with Strickland, Fulmer, or Suarez cut around then. By that point he should be refreshed to replace them on the roster and provide 50+ pitches in a game if need be.

The minor league numbers are pretty depressing - almost no one of note is doing well, with a couple of exceptions. I wonder if Vera, Placencia etc are going to be "Maitaned" after this year. Still quite young, so probably not, but I've pretty much given up on those guys.

I'm not at all worried about Rada, but I question their decision to place him in AA. That's rough competition for an 18-year old. A+ would be hard enough.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The minor league numbers are pretty depressing - almost no one of note is doing well, with a couple of exceptions. I wonder if Vera, Placencia etc are going to be "Maitaned" after this year. Still quite young, so probably not, but I've pretty much given up on those guys.

I'm not at all worried about Rada, but I question their decision to place him in AA. That's rough competition for an 18-year old. A+ would be hard enough.

Yeah, lots of ugly numbers to start, for sure.  Kyren Paris is 3 for 35 with 18 K and 1 BB.  Putting up a robust .057/.083/.086 slash line early on.

25 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wouldn’t give up on Placencia yet, nor Denzer Guzman, but Vera hasn’t shown anything to give me much hope. Bad average, lots of strikeouts, no pop, no speed. 

Placencia though still drew a ton of walks, almost 90, against much older competition and a little bit of pop and speed. 

Worth keeping in mind Tri-City is a horrible field for offense too, and that’s where both played a bulk of last year. 

Hopefully one of these guys at least makes it to a decent UT IF guy, even if just depth.

47 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Also nice to see Caden go a solid 6.2 ip with only 3H and 2 BB given up. Just want to see him stay consistent and stay healthy this year. With that, he’ll be a top 100 prospect and have a starting rotation spot waiting for him next year 

At least by mid-2025

I'm not saying this is the case, but it is possible that the Angels considered a few other factors when deciding where to start players, such as how cold some of the places are this early on in the season. And, they may want to pair some players together to break into the majors at the same time, such as Rada and Dana. 

As a hitter, I wouldn't want to get busted inside for 2 months in the cold.